Von Schweikert v. Odyssey

ajzepp

« on: 30 Nov 2005, 03:41 am »
OKay, here's the deal guys.....

I had planned to have a sufficient budget to upgrade both my speakers and amp. My car had other plans, though, and decided to go kaput. I was going to just hold off on everything until I got a new car, but I've decided to go ahead with one or the other - speakers or the amp.  Pretty sure speakers are going to win.....

I usually research the crap out of anything I'm planning to buy, and then narrow my choices down to a select few so that I can have focused auditions. Well, I'm going to go listen to some Von Schweikerts this weekend.....the VR1, VR2 and VR4jr. Does anyone have any experience with both these and the Odyssey Loreleis? I've had a really hard time finding ANY box speaker that I like better than my little Maggies, but I do want to listen to a few more before making a final decision to go with larger Maggies. Being that I'm going to demo the Vons, I could use them as a sort of frame of reference for the Loreleis if anyone on here has compared them. I know my ears are different, but it's the best I can do for right now since Klaus is all the way in Indiana.

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded......thanks in advance for any help!

KJ

« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:41 am »
You might want to check with some of the folks from the North Texas Audio Jam.  I'd PM Camptain Humble for some insight on the Loreleis.  He used to own a pair of red cherry ones prior to his Ushers.  I believe some of the other NTAJ folks heard a pair of Von Schweikert speakers at a jam session, but they may have been the VR4 SR.  Hopefully they can provide you with some insight to help accelerate your research.

-KJ

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:04 am »
Thanks, KJ......I just posted over there so hopefully someone will chime in.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:11 am »
What amp are you thinking about ?

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2005, 07:13 am »
Well right now I have a handful of Outlaw Audio M200 monoblocks, so that'll have to do for the time being. At some point I'd like to pull the trigger on some mono extremes from Klaus. The Outlaw stuff is great for HT, but just okay for music.

I noticed that you have some VR-1s in one of your systems.....Every review I've read so far has been stellar. Are you pretty happy with them?

8thnerve

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2005, 02:01 pm »
I went from Maggie 1.6QRs to VR-2 to VR-4jr back to back so I have a pretty good idea of the differences between them.  I have heard the Lorelei's at shows and they have always sounded stellar, and Klaus is a great guy so you can't go wrong.  I can't compare them directly to these though.

The Maggies have a transparency that just can't be matched by the VSAs, although the VR-4jr comes close.  The VR-2 is one of the best values in high end, if you value dynamics and impact, bass, and musicality.  Soundstage is good and deep if you dial in the ambience tweeter correctly.  The VR-4jr does everything the VR-2 does but better.  More bass (but also more linear), more impact, much greater transparency, more speed, great imaging, etc.  The imaging, transparency and scale of the Maggies is not bested by these two however.

At the VR-2 price point, I don't think it gets much better in a dynamic box speaker.  I love the VR-4jr, but I think it has strong competition at it's price point.  Regardless, it is near the top of the list.

Of course I haven't heard the Lorelei's in my room.  I would not be surprised given what I have heard at shows if it were neck and neck, or even better.  Perhaps someone here has heard the VSAs and Loreleis?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2005, 02:49 pm »
Thanks, 8thnerve......That helps a lot. If Klaus' Lorelei is in the same ballpark as the VR-4jr, and I end up liking the VR-4s, then I'm going to go ahead and give Klaus some $$. I don't mind buying a monitor unheard cause they're much easier to pack up and ship back if you don't like it. It's a little different with floorstanders, lol. Would be a lot easier if there was someone down here in the metro Atlanta area who had the Loreleis, but I have yet to find anyone. Oh well......

Thanks again for the response!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2005, 03:59 pm »
ajzeep:

I bought my VR-4 GENIII HSE speakers from Von Schweikert almost two years ago. Part of the deal was that I had a 90 day in home trial. If I didn't like them VS would come and pick them up for return and it wouldn't cost me a dime.
 I thought that was not only a show of confidence in their product but a pretty darn good deal too.

Cheers
                     Charlie

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2005, 07:59 pm »
Can't argue with that, Charlie!  

Are you using them for both HT and music? Or just one or the other?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2005, 08:54 pm »
ajzeep:
  I use the VR's for two channel stereo.
  I have another cheap HT system that I use for watching movies.

Cheers
                  Charlie

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2005, 09:29 pm »
ajzepp, I own a pair of the VR-4jr's and IMO they are a great speaker. On the other hand I had a chance to hear Klaus's Lorelei's at this years RMAF and was blown away at how good they sounded. I truly think both speakers are real winners and you would be happy with either speaker. I think the Lorelei is about a $1000 less than the VR-4 Jr. That could help the decision making process??

Good Luck,

Gary

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2005, 02:54 am »
Thanks, Darth :)

I'll know more after this weekend's demo, but I'm thinking I'd probably go with the Von Schweikert  VR-1s over the Epiphonies, and then the Lorelei over the VR-4jrs, mainly because of cost but also because I would bet that I'd have a hard time discerning a $1400 difference between the two. Of course, I may also just end up with bigger Maggies.....but at least I'm narrowing down the options, lol

May the Force be with you, bro!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:45 am »
Quote from: ajzepp

I noticed that you have some VR-1s in one of your systems.....Every review I've read so far has been stellar. Are you pretty happy with them?
Yes...just don't really play them that much anymore. I've heard three of the four speakers that you mentioned. I've not heard the VR2's. All are very capable of good sound...but it will be what you prefer...so listen first, then ask more questions...enjoy your demo. :)
    Chris[/list:u]