Just ordered GR sub/pr combo *pics*

IronForge

« on: 29 Nov 2005, 04:59 pm »
Long time lurker of GR products and figured i'd bite on the current subwoofer sale.  Danny has always been helpful with questions which is one of the reasons I went with GR.

I plan to use either the apex senior amplifier or the rythmik audio 350 amplifier.   I read on hometheaterforum that the rythmik amp is actually an apex senior with some modifications.  Does anyone have any comments on either of these amplifiers?

Pics of my progress and a review will be added as they are available.  :)

samplesj

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2005, 05:49 pm »
I've got a Apex Sr in my dual box GR sub/pr and I've been very happy with it.  I had bought a couple of PE plates, but when I saw that the Apex Sr would have enough juice to run both drivers from 1 amp I switched to it.  The amp seems to be quiet enough without any transformer buzz.

I've never seen a Rythmik so I can't compare to it, but I did find something interesting about the preamp board in the Sr.  The part number and board layout on the preamp board between the two amps was EXACTLY the same.  I actually used the PE instructions to modify the bass boost circuit instead of the Apex recommendation because it only changed one of the two resistors.

Here is the http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=17836&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10'>thread where I posted the pictures

Good luck with the subs and enjoy.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2005, 05:57 pm »
All the amps that you guys have mentioned are all made by the same manufacturer.

The Rythmik has some nice added features. It and the Apex Sr. are the same amps otherwise.

IronForge

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:12 pm »
I will probably order the Rythmik then, since they are basically the same thing.

Danny, what setting do you recommend I set the rumble filter on?  I will be using the standard box plans from your website.

Here is the manual, if interested:
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_amplifiers/rythmik350/rythmik350ownersmanual.pdf

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2005, 11:12 pm »
Danny, what setting do you recommend I set the rumble filter on?

It depends on the ouput level you get in your room. Play with it and see.

IronForge

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:48 pm »
I ordered the Rythmik 350.   This weekend I will start on building the enclosure and hopefully the goods will arrive before I need them in the building process.

Danny,

On another thread, someone had a down firing sub.  Is there any orientation the PR can not be? IE up/down?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:57 pm »
On another thread, someone had a down firing sub. Is there any orientation the PR can not be? IE up/down?

The PR has quite a bit of mass to it. Facing it up or down would cause it to sag over time. It really needs to be mounted vertically on a side.

chip

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2005, 08:13 pm »
I built mine in 2 seperate boxes:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21622

Still have not finished them on the outside though....

IronForge

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2005, 06:49 pm »
As long as the internal volume is the same, is there any performance difference going from the reference design to a cube design?

chip

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2005, 03:14 am »
Quote from: IronForge
As long as the internal volume is the same, is there any performance difference going from the reference design to a cube design?

Nope....I did a cube design on both of my boxes - 18" cubed boxes is what I built.

chad

IronForge

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2005, 03:29 am »
Amp came Friday, sub/pr just came today.  Very nicely packaged.  A Friend will be helping me build this and I'll make sure to take some pics of the construction.

Ordered some cherry laminate 2 x 10' roll from PE to cover the box.  It's not here yet so i'll have to put that on this weekend.

IronForge

progress
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2005, 03:20 am »
Had to cut a small section out of one of the braces to get the rythmik 350 plate amp to fit..

The front of the enclosure was recessed for a flush mount
Also notice the four inserts for the grille

Here the sub is on one end..  the sub or the pr have not been attached yet.. but take a look at the grille..

It has not arrived yet but I have some cherry laminate on it's way from parts express which I will use to finish the enclosure.

chip

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2005, 04:54 pm »
Looks nice.....
I still have not finished mine :D  and it looks like you will have yours done before mine will be.
I can't decide if I want to paint or just veneer it.

IronForge

« Reply #13 on: 12 Dec 2005, 07:02 am »
Ran into a little snag.. it looks like the amplifier I got has a problem with it.  Talking with the vendor to get a replacement.

The laminate should get here tomorrow, guess that gives me something to do while I wait for the replacement amp.

Also on an side note I have an infocus sp4805 to arrive tuesday, which is why I ordered the sub.

IronForge

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2005, 04:04 pm »
Gave it a test last night and it is up and running.  The replacement amp I was sent is working.   It rained like nuts this weekend so I wasn't able to go outside and get the laminate work done.