NuForce IA-7 - shocking performance and value

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:08 am »
Starting from Jan 2006 (1st production batch goes to dealer in late December), you will be able to enjoy the incredible NuForce sound for only $995!!!  An integrated stereo amp with remote control utilizing the same amplifier circuit board as our award winning Reference series amps.  A pair of 24000uF caps connected to a very fast 100W SMPS give the IA-7 a much bigger perceived power.
IA-7 has a pre-out for bi-amping. It can also be daisy chained with P-8 to be used as a slave or master.

Obviously by putting P-8 and Ref 8/9 into IA-7, there are compromises (which we're not going to elaborate here).
But for the price, it is shockingly good.  If you absolutely love Ref 8/9 and are looking to get a 2nd system, go place an order. You won't be disappointed.  We are THAT sure of it.

You can take a peek at the internal of IA-7:
http://www.nuforce.com/gallery/IA-7.JPG

Sung-bo Shim

• http://www.chessaudio.co.kr
It is shocking price. :)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2005, 01:16 pm »
:D

It is shocking price!!!

I'm wait for available.

Shim.

from KOREA.

cynamon

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2005, 04:01 pm »
Splendid !
How many inputs can we expect for IA-7 ?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2005, 06:02 pm »
Hey, the spec on the website say it has 3 sets of RCA input and 1 3.5mm stereo jack.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:14 am »
Forgot to mention that one of the input is a HT-pass-through. Similarly, P-8 has this feature.

cynamon

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2005, 11:14 am »
Few Q:

Dimension shown on the web are 1.75'' x 8.5'' x 16''.
Picture linked above suggests Height 1.75'' x Width 8.5'' x Depth 16''. Am I right ?

Updated version of Ref 8 or 9 are improved compared to early sold. Can we trust IA-7 would have all these tricks already implemented ?  :idea:

I am newcomer - what are the benefits of  HT-pass through ?

Who is reviewing IA-7 and when can we expect any feedback ?

Thanks

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2005, 06:42 am »
Dimension shown on the web are 1.75'' x 8.5'' x 16''.
Picture linked above suggests Height 1.75'' x Width 8.5'' x Depth 16''. Am I right ?

Correct. IA-7, P-8 and Ref-9 all use the same anodized aluminium chassis with different finishing and front/back plates.

Updated version of Ref 8 or 9 are improved compared to early sold. Can we trust IA-7 would have all these tricks already implemented ?

Off course. This is NuForce's philosophy. IA-7 cost too much and we have to increase the price in 2006.  IA-7 at 2006 price of $1195 is the highest performance integrated amp in the world at that price point but unlike the Ref series, we do not allow entire circuit board upgrade for IA-7.

I am newcomer - what are the benefits of HT-pass through

For best 2 channel performance, you connect
1) CD->preamp->2 main speakers
2) HT AVP main L/R pre-out ->preamp -> Ref8/9-> 2 main speakers
3) HT AVP surround pre-out etc -> Ref8/9 -> surround speakers

When you're watching movies, you use the volume control from the HT AVP so the preamp need to have a HT-pass through.
Alternatively, the AVP could have a CD(analog) pass-through for different configuration:
1) CD->HT AVP pass-through->preamp->Ref 8/9-> 2 main speakers
2) DVD->HT AVP->5.1 channel pre-out->Ref 8/9->speakers

It all depends on your preference (music or movie).

Oh, there's more. What if you want the best SACD surround music listening?
SACD 5 or 6 channels ->3 P-8 daisy chained together->Ref8/9
The 1st preamp P-8 will be able to control volume and selection of other P-8.

P-8 has very high end volume control and features! Oh yes, it is also available in IA-7.  You can use IA-7 for high efficiency speakers or as surround channel amplifiers.

We don't have any production IA-7 for reviews yet. But trust us, it is good. We have built our reputation on making the best product in its category and nothing around the price range can touch IA-7.
Like wise for P-8, it is going to give a lot of preamp serious competition.

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2005, 10:19 am »
Hi Jason,

Sounds very interesting.  Do you think the IA-7 would be able to comfortably drive 2-way speakers with 84 db/watt efficiency (assume 8 ohm impedance)?  I have the nOrh 9.0.

Also, by when would we need to order be able to get the $995 price?  

Finally, I am thinking of getting a Squeezebox down the road and when I do would like to experiment with using the built-in volume control -- would the HT pass through bypass the preamp section of the IA-7 (sorry, I am not familiar with HT)?

As you can see from my signature, I have a tube preamp + an ICEpower digital amp.  Both components are quite good but but am considering simplifying my system especially if I won't sacrifice sound quality.

Thanks!

- Jay

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2005, 04:32 am »
New production photo available on our website:
http://www.nuforce.com/products-intamps.htm

The chassis shown is in silver but black and gold are also available.

Mr. High Fy

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2005, 05:48 pm »
Quote from: nuforce-jason
New production photo available on our website:
http://www.nuforce.com/products-intamps.htm

The chassis shown is in silver but black and gold are also available.

More photos please  :D What can the remote do, and how does it look?

cynamon

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2005, 03:47 pm »
jason,

To tempt us still in 2005 we need more info about IA7 performance compared to already reviewed 8 and 9.
Pros: Functonality
Cons: ???

eric the red

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2005, 09:05 am »
So the price is $995.00 until January 31st then goes up to $1195.00 after the 1st and they have been in production since November??? Or did YOUR  costs go up BEFORE production began and you raised the price before the amp was released? I'm confused :oops:

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2005, 08:49 pm »
We can't get a firm handle on the cost since Dec 26 batch is the first production batch (contract manufacturer doesn't have time to work out the details :)).  And then we have a shock :O

For those who placed the order in 2005, you got it at 2005 price. If not, it is probably too late. Even at $1195, it is still a steal.

We will show it at CES and I am sure you'll hear some feedback :)

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jan 2006, 05:26 am »
Sorry, we adjusted the 2006 price of P-8 and IA-7 after the initial announcement (refer to the initial posting in this topic)
With regards to the difference between IA-7 and Ref 8/Ref 9:
1. The circuit board is not upgradable, ie you can't replace the entire circuit board but if we have any minor improvement in the future (I seriously doubt so), we can provide the minor update. Too many things are packed in IA-7 (two amp boards, a preamp, two big caps, a 100W power supply) and there isn't much room for major upgrade.
2. Binding posts are generic WBT style gold plated binding post.  You can't order different binding post. Eichmann cable pod doesn't have protective plastic cover around the base and there is a chance of spade speaker wires being shorted together so we can't offer it.
3. Power is limited to 100W.
4. Preamp circuit is a slightly simplified version of P-8 due to space constrain but still offer incredible performance.

I don't think there is any 2 channel integrated amp on the planet that can match the performance at IA-7 price.  :wink:

Zero

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jan 2006, 06:47 am »
Will you be passing around a demo unit ?  If so, I want on the list.  This may be a perfect alternative for my second rig!

cynamon

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2006, 10:06 pm »
[...] I don't think there is any 2 channel integrated amp on the planet that can match the performance at IA-7 price.[...]

Strong declaration. I'm gonna verify it. The order for IA-7 is put.
Any setup hints for newcomer users would be welcome.

cynamon

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jan 2006, 11:51 am »
[...] 2. Binding posts are generic WBT style gold plated binding post. You can't order different binding post. Eichmann cable pod doesn't have protective plastic cover around the base and there is a chance of spade speaker wires being shorted together so we can't offer it. [...]

Please let me understand it clearly. I hope it does not mean IA-7 standard posts can't accept spades for loudspeaker wires. :roll:

Can we get more pictures of this product ?
I've found only this:
http://www.bica.com.tw/nuforce_IA7.html

eric the red

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jan 2006, 12:54 pm »
Quote from: cynamon
[...] 2. Binding posts are generic WBT style gold plated binding post. You can't order different binding post. Eichmann cable pod doesn't have protective plastic cover around the base and there is a chance of spade speaker wires being shorted together so we can't offer it. [...]

Please let me understand it clearly. I hope it does not mean IA-7 standard posts can't accept spades for loudspeaker wires. :roll:

Can we get more pictures of this product ?
I've found only this:
http://www.bica.com.tw/nuforce_IA7.html

I think he means that the metal Eichman cable pod (whatever that is :scratch: ) will not be offered on the IA7 because it could come into contact with speaker cables with spades.

cynamon

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2006, 09:38 am »
Hey, NuForce team

1/ Can I get more info about the binding post for IA-7 - as asked previously ?

2/ One dude in Poland reviewed IA-7 to me - he is experienced and I  appreciate his opinion - generally the sound was far below his expectation regarding microdynamics, timbre resolution (vocals, acoustic instruments), subtle emotion and generally pleasure. He was impressed by bass reproduction and macrodynamics which is minor for me. Is there a chance he listened to brand new piece and after some warming IA-7 should improve the performance? What aspect can be changed?
He hooked up the amp to Harbeth 7 and Cary Audio CDP.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2006, 11:17 am »
Never connect NuForce amp (IA-7) included to power conditioner. We do recommend using BrickWall surge protector for EMI/RFI filter.

IA-7 need the same 70 hours of breakin as Ref 9. IA-7 has two identical Ref 9 circuit board in there (so is Ref 8). Keep in mind that IA-7 has 50W rms X 2. So obviously if the amp doesn't have enough breakin time or can't drive the speaker, everything disappeared :).

Obviously don't expect IA-7 to perform as good as Ref 9 + P8. Otherwise we will go out of business  :lol:
For its price, there is nothing on the market that can compare to IA-7. But it is afterall an entry level high end audiophile integrated amp.