Front projector & screen cost?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« on: 29 Nov 2005, 06:03 am »
I am quite certain my sound would improve if I could increase the viewing distance far above what is possible with my circa '00 Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD 53" HD-RPTV.  

What is approximate cost for a front projector & screen with picture quality equal to or beating the Pioneer above?  Light control should be easy: basement, grade level 3' below ceiling, & sum total one light well at the back.  

What is the screen size/viewing distance equation?

Will be an 8.1 system (no center).  I lean to the belief that the center speaker for DD & PLIIx is unnecesary if good main front speakers are spaced closely & augmented by good monopole front side-axis surrounds.

Thanks all!

ctviggen

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2005, 07:56 pm »
I know someone who purchased an LCD projector and screen for around $3,500 if I'm not mistaken.  I think the screen was 92 inches.  As for beating the Pioneer Elite (I have the 57 inch model), that's going to be hard to do.  The larger screen size will mean more visible artifacts when watching TV (DVD looks great, though).  The blacks were good, but nothing beats tube TVs for blacks (plus, I've had black fabric installed in my TV -- the blacks are amazing).   Nonetheless, the picture was enjoyable, especially considering I paid about $5k for my TV, as the new models were coming in, and you get many more inches of screen and a very good picture and save money.  Plus, nothing puts you into the home theater mode as a large screen.  The big TV is great, but I still don't feel like being in a true "theater".

jermmd

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:18 pm »
You can get a great HD front LCD projector (panny 900 or sanyo Z4) with mounting material and screen for about $3000. For about $500 more you can get DLP (Mits. 3000). This is with rebates and probably good to the end of the year. This is also the sweet spot for projectors IMHO. There are cheaper projector deals available (a recent $500 4805 at Staples) and more expensive projectors (some DLP's, Sony Ruby, etc.). There is no limit to the really high end projector set ups.

klh

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:27 pm »
I agree with jermmd. The panny 900 or sanyo z4 are tremendous values. With either projector you want the viewing distance to be at least 1.5x the screen width. Below that not only does viewer fatigue set in, but artifacts are more noticable; beyond that, the image is supposed to be absolutely fantastic. Hook it up to an Oppo DVD player and you've got a great image at an even better price. The key (like for most FPs) is ambient light control. One note, I've read the Sanyo Z2 had problems with excessive heat and them not liking to stick to their warranty. I haven't heard whether the heat problem was fixed nor if they are still backing out of their warranties.

Ears

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:42 pm »
I would reccomend the Optoma H-78DC3 with an Optoma Gray Wolf  screen for really inky looking blacks for 4k or less including an extra 400.00 bulb as your very best deal.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:21 pm »
Man, what on earth did we do for these kind of referals before the internet & forums?

jermmd

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2005, 10:05 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Man, what on earth did we do for these kind of referals before the internet & forums?

Jim,
The internet is great, isn't it. I know people who still don't surf. It's hard to fathom. They have no idea what they're missing.