Clari-T Dual Mono Secret Revealed?

Charles D.

« on: 28 Nov 2005, 05:55 pm »
Hello everybody. I've been lurking on the forum for over a month, and my dual mono Clari-T is due to arrive today by UPS (I hope :roll: ).

I've noticed that folks hear improved sound (and about 30% more dB) from the dual mono, usually chalking it up to the isolation of the signal paths leading to better channel separation and perhaps the lighter workload on each chip at a given input current.

I was poking around the internet reading up on the Tripath amplifiers, and I noticed this comment in a review of the Bel Canto EVo 200.2, which also uses a Tripath chip (http://www.stereotimes.com/amp102300.shtm)

The Tripath module runs in differential mode when you switch it to mono. The distortion canceling that occurs in differential circuits is special and well worth noting.

Could this be another reason that Vinnie's dual mono Clari-T's have a little more mojo (as the Stereo Times reviewer describes it)? Or is this behavior particular to the version of the Tripath used in the Bel Canto?

Regards,

Charlie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-T Dual Mono Secret Revealed?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2005, 06:42 pm »
Quote from: Charles D.
Hello everybody. I've been lurking on the forum for over a month, and my dual mono Clari-T is due to arrive today by UPS (I hope :roll: ).

I've noticed that folks hear improved sound (and about 30% more dB) from the dual mono, usually chalking it up to the isolation of the signal paths leading to better channel separation and perhaps the lighter workload on each chip at a given input current.

I was poking around the internet reading up on the Tripath amplifiers, and I noticed this comment in a review  ...

Hi Charles,

Welcome to AudioCirlce and thanks for posting here.

The Tripath TA2024 chip used in the Clari-T is a stereo chip.  I believe it is a dual full bridge and it cannot be configured to a single full bridge  with double the current output (some of the higher-powered Tripath chips have this capability, a "CONFIG" pin).  

In the case of the dual-mono Clari-T, I use one Tripath TA2024 chip/board for each channel, and each channel has its own SLA battery.  

Hope to see more posts from you soon  8)

Thanks,

Charles D.

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2005, 07:47 pm »
Dear Vinnie,

Thanks for the clarification. Of course with the higher power Tripath chips we would lose the SLA batteries as a workable power source. The Bel Canto review spent a paragraph or so discussing the audible differences between various expensive power cords and AC power conditioners. Not a concern for us vinophiles :mrgreen:.

Yes, I will definitely post my impressions of the dual mono Clari-T that you put together for me. I'll be using it at first with my 88 dB sensitivity bookshelf speakers in a 10x12 room with a cathedral ceiling. I also have a digital SPL meter coming in the mail, so I expect to have a decent burn-in on the Clari-T by the weekend so I can report both on its sound quality and quantity with not-too-efficient speakers. My experience with the T-amp suggests that quantity will be sufficient for me and quality should be exceptional. I know the T-amp is another thing altogether, but I set it up just for a very crude idea.

Regards,

Charlie

MttBsh

Break-in time
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2005, 08:53 pm »
Charlie,

Be aware that the tripath chips take a while to break in. The dual mono will sound great right out of the gate, but after 200 hours it will be a whole new animal. I swear, mine is still improving after 6 months! You're gonna love it.

Matt

Charles D.

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2005, 09:36 pm »
Dear Matt,

Thanks for the heads up. I hope to have about 100 hours on it by Sunday, so by then a first impression report should be reasonable. I'll certainly note the burn-in time when I do the write up. I'll definitely do a follow-up after a more complete burn-in (say sometime in January).

I just ordered a 60 Gb iPod photo to send in for the Vinniemods. I'll probably send it in to him after the holidays (that ok, Vinnie?). Then I can do a comparison of an RWA Toshiba 3960 and the RWA modded iPod. I'll probably then give the Omega A8s a try sometime in the spring.

I'll try to keep reporting in as the system evolves.

Regards,

Charlie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2005, 10:31 pm »
Quote from: Charles D.
Dear Matt,

Thanks for the heads up. I hope to have about 100 hours on it by Sunday, so by then a first impression report should be reasonable. I'll certainly note the burn-in time when I do the write up. I'll definitely do a follow-up after a more complete burn-in (say sometime in January).

I just ordered a 60 Gb iPod photo to send in for the Vinniemods. I'll probably send it in to him after the holidays (that ok, Vinnie?). Then I can do a comparison of an RWA Toshiba 3960 and the RWA modded iPod. I'l ...

Hi Charlie,

You can send your iPod Photo in when you are ready.  In the modded form, it smokes the modded Toshiba IMHO.  I'll be interested in hearing your impressions

Thanks for keeping us all posted,

Charles D.

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2005, 03:53 pm »
Hi, Vinnie,

I look forward to the iMod. I have an idea, why don't you cut us a deal to order a bunch at a discount and knock a bit off the price of the iMod if we get in on a group order by Christmas Eve? :lol:

-Charlie