Audiophile Society of NSW (Australia) meeting - and a GK-1.

Malcolm Fear

I attended the meeting yesterday. There were all sorts of goodies on display, and being played to a group of about 50 people.
Towards the end of the meeting, a passive pre amp was played. Flat, undynamic and boring, just like every other passive I have heard.
Then Larrie swapped in his GK-1. For the first time, everyone shut up and listened. I was interested in this re-action of people to the GK-1. I would have given it my best in show award.

AKSA

« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2003, 01:58 am »
Malcolm, Larry,

My thanks for this tidbit.  Interesting!  Larry, any further comments? What did you think of the response from the audience?  What did Justin Lam have to say?

Cheers,

Hugh

Larry

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2003, 12:48 pm »
Yes, as I indicated earlier, I brought the GK-1 to the meeting yesterday.

As Malcolm said, everyone in the audience shut up and listened, which was a pleasant surprising response that did not happen before GK-1's debut. Just after one or two tracks, several up-pointing thumbs were shown to me (now I pass them all on to Hugh and will not keep any.  :wink: )

I couldn't get Justin after the session before he disappeared while I was busy answering people's questions. However, quite a few people came forward to tell me some good words: sweet; good detail; low bass extension; surprise (how good it sounded) etc.

One interesting comment was that GK-1 sounded better than the Audio Research Reference 1 MKI preamp used in the earlier session. Though I understood that it was not a conclusive comment as the session was neither an AB test nor a critical listening and the source and power amp had been swapped at the time when the GK-1 was swapped in, I respect his first impression on GK-1 considering his experience in audio being one of the founding members of the society. I was invited to his place for a further listening and comparison to his Reference 1 MKI as the room of the meeting was obviously boomy that is not suitable for serious listening. (Yes, that is the permanent meeting venue of the society. The good news is that people have said they would try some room treatments in following meetings.)

Generally, the response was possitive and very possitive. It's safe to say that most of the audience were surprised by the sonic beauty of GK-1. I was told and aware of that some of the people there are not always easily pleased by DIY "cheapies". I know someone there who picks his entry level system only from the Class A listing of Stereophile :!:

The system in the session with GK-1:

1) Shanling CDT-100 CD player, as transport;
2) Heavily modded MSB DAC;
3) GK-1 (Option 1) preamp, upgraded with an attenuator mounted with Dale resistors;
4) DIY tube PP power amp, by Elson Silva;
5) DIY speakers, by Eddie Lee.

Two more things I like to share here.

I was told by someone from another state that his friend made a GK-1 that does not sound as good as the one I'd shown. (I will keep people in private conversations anonymous unless they come forward by themselves.)  I guess either something has gone wrong or some differences in construction make obvious differences in sound. To satisfy my curiosity, I do like to do a proper AB test one day on GK-1's built by different people to see how the construction detail (layout/wiring/shielding/isolation/power cabling etc) affects the sonics, which would benifit new builders as well.

I was also told that rolling in 6922/E88CC will make GK-1 sound much better. I'd like to try it myself one day as well.

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2003, 09:50 pm »
Hi Larry.

I live Frenchs Forest. Would you like to do a session at my place and a session at your place, comparing our GK-1. We could invite a couple of extra people to share the experience.

My GK-1 mods.
I use CAT 5 (teflon coated) everywhere for the signal path.
I have a stage 2 (selector and beautiful phono section).
I use Auricaps everywhere there is a cap in the signal path (6 in all).
I use Corian shelving (and innertube) for support.

System
Rega Planet 2000 CD player.
Linn Sondek LP12.
AKSA GK-1
AKSA 55 watt
Diatone single cone full range, in a TQWT enclosure.
KEF B139 as a sub woofer.

Larry

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2003, 11:40 am »
Yes, Malcolm,

I am very much like to hear your system. I would like to show my ART DIO and room correction as well. Let's look forward to it.

Before it, I would like to complete my source switch, which can be equally used as a source AB comparator to facilitate a blind AB test. I have done the power amp switch to switch my amps to suit my mood and music, and I thought to do the source switch in Easter Holidays, but I'd gone for a fishing trip to north of Port Stephens. I have all code for the remote control done for the power amp switch that can be used for source switch as well. The only thing left is to reorder some relays and wire them up for RCAs in a case, which can switch sources like two GK-1s instantly and very small differences can be picked up with our memory working in short term. I would not like to put a deadline on when I would complete it. (I am having too many deadlines in work and like to relax in my hobby  :mrgreen: ) But it would not take too long ( in a few weeks time.) Is this ok for you?

By the way, I am interested in teflon insulated CAT5. I have looked at retail shops like Jaycar and could not find any, only PVC CAT5. Where did you get yours?

Oz_Audio

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2003, 12:27 pm »
Malcolm, Larry,  I will be in Sydney on about the 28th May for a meeting.

If we can manage it and I can fit it in, I will be bringing my GK1 along (for another reason) as well and the phono pre.  It would make interesting listening as all 3 GK1's are slightly different.

Mine is a Beta board, with the Panasonic Attenuator that Hugh will be using for the Remote version (mine is pure manual) and a DACT CT3 5 way input selector.

Mark 8)

Larry

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2003, 01:02 pm »
Hi, Mark,

Look, I just say no deadline and you say you will be in Sydney on 28th May. Hopeless, hopeless !

I think we will have great fun and see if we can pick up our own GK-1 in a blind listening session. My source switch will switch among 5 sources. Let's get a dog to press the remote button and have fun!  :rotflmao: Leave the interpretation to the results later after we have a few cups of wine. Cheers.

Can you let us know what time you will be available for that? 28th May is a Wednesday. I have no problem after work on weekdays. How about Malcolm, or anyone in Sydney like to join the fun with or without a GK-1?

AKSA

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2003, 01:23 pm »
Hey, Larry,

Looks like a fun time.......

Moments like these I wish I had time (and money!) to travel!    :cry:

Cheers,

Hugh

Larry

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2003, 11:05 pm »
Yes, Hugh,

I will let you know if I could pick up my GK-1 from blind listening. I hope I can not. With all of them having attenuators, they should sound very close. Malcolm's has all Auricaps in signal path. If I can pick it up, I think I cannot save money on caps.

Stay tuned.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2003, 11:06 pm »
Hi guys, I'd love to come along.

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2003, 11:11 pm »
Hi

I am available on or about 28/5/03.
I am at Frenchs Forest and can fit about 4 or 5 people at my place. I am also happy to travel.

regards

Cylon

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2003, 11:49 am »
This sounds like a good idea to me  :D

However very quickly things could get out of hand and you'll end up needing to hire a hall!!!

I'm dying to hear the GK1 on my setup after listening to Malcolm's a few months ago it would be interesting to hear what it does on a 100W nirvana... oh, and my new loudspeakers are go, I'll set up something to show everyone what they're all about after I've applied the veneer (birdseye jarrah) and varnished them. I think I have a little crossover tweaking to do but nothing too serious. They're quite impressive, standing 1.22M tall and with curved sides (made from laminating sheets of 3mm mdf). They have a Hiquphon tweeter an Audax 5 1/2" mid and 2 Audax 8" woofers (oh god do they go down lowwwww).

Quite a contrast to Malcolm's Diatones!!

Larry

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2003, 02:01 pm »
Quote from: Malcolm Fear
Hi

I am available on or about 28/5/03.
I am at Frenchs Forest and can fit about 4 or 5 people at my place. I am also happy to travel.

regards

I have no objection. As soon as Mark fixes his time, it's done. Do you like to contact peolpe to get it organised?

TimS

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2003, 07:08 pm »
Hi Malcolm

I live in Lane Cove, just down the road.   I am seriously considering buiding the GK1 and would love to hear one 'in the flesh'.  Count me in if you have enough room.

Cheers

Tim St Ruth

Greg Erskine

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2003, 11:29 pm »
Hi Malcolm,

I'd be interested in attenting as well. If we get rid of the dog pressing the button I might be able to fit.

Thanks
Greg

Larry

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2003, 10:57 am »
Quote from: Cylon
However very quickly things could get out of hand and you'll end up needing to hire a hall!!!

You are perfectly right :!:

Pleb Plebian

« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2003, 06:27 am »
Think a webcast is a great idea, guys - for those of us in foreign climes, there's at least participation by proxy!

Cheers
-Darl