Cleaning out my shop

Scott F.

Cleaning out my shop
« on: 27 Nov 2005, 01:35 am »
Hiya Guys,

Well, I've finally gotten tired of looking at (and living with) all the crap I've collected over the years. As I am tossing stuff out from my shop I've run across a couple of items that are up for grabs if anybody (local) wants them (I really don't want to pack and ship them as these are give-aways, read = FREE)).

I've got a pair of Dual 1219 turntables (three speed). The first one spins up just fine except the arm is gone. Spinnng is half the issue with the old Duals because the idler wheels usually went bad (that means this one is still good). The second 1219 has a good arm but doesn't spin well. Motor works fine though (maybe a idler wheel transplant?). This one comes in the old United Audio wooden base. I'd rate the base as a 6/10. It's OK but it needs some attention. If you guys remember the sound of the old Duals, it was nice and warm, just what we grew up on.

The next turntable I have is a freak. Its a Thorens TD 135. This one has the old integrated arm with a removeable headshell that looks like the old Garrard Chicken Head headshell. It's a weird beast of a table. It needs a new start capacitor (its a very small value cap that I've probably got in my stock). This is a four speed table (16,33,45,78 ) with that classic Thorens rim drive. The main part of the table looks like a TD124 EXCEPT this one has an integrated arm. This doesn't have the armboard for switching out arms and it probably won't accept a 9" arm. It 'may' however take an 11" external arm, I haven't measured for it though. If you search eBay, there is one on there so you can get a feel for it. This one doesn't have a case or dust cover so you'd have to build a plinth out of several layers of MDF, marble, Corian, whatever.

Next I've got a Garrard Labratory Series out of an old Fisher console. This one will need a plinth too. It has an integrated arm (the chicken head).. I have no idea if this one works. I suspect it does cuz the tubes tested at near 100 which tells me the turntable didn't get much use.

Any (local) takers?
I'll be happy to hang on to them until the Christmas Gathering when you come by. If not, these are going out with the pizza boxes.

As I go through the rest of the stuff I've accumulated, I may post some more stuff.

mark@marktwain

Cleaning out my shop
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2005, 04:14 pm »
Hey! Don't throw em in the hopper just yet! I'll take the Thorens and I'll take a look at the others when we get together on the 10th. What else you dumpin out? Any iron, tubes or lowthers?
PS: Don't throw anything away if you can wait till the meet, I'll bring my truck!
Mark

Scott F.

Cleaning out my shop
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2005, 04:20 pm »
Nope, no iron or tubes although I may pitch some 01 series of tubes. I'll hang onto the tables for you. The 1229 really isn't a bad sounding table at all once you get it setup right.