Mapleshade copper tube anchors

Mike D

« on: 25 Nov 2005, 10:15 pm »
A good friend of mine just sent me this email.  Have any of you tried these?  He is runing tri-amps Hartsfield speakers in JBL folded horn theater speaker cabinets.

Mike
------------------------------------------
Mike,

In a spirit of experimentation, I put a pair of
Mapleshade Copper Tube Anchors on the RCA 7199 tubes
in my Dynaco (Midrange) Amp, just to hear what they
would do.

YIKES! Oh my gosh'bgosh...........ya gotta here it to
believe it.

Quote me on the circle if you want, as this is a major
tweek for old tube amps.

SHAB

Scott F.

« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2005, 11:50 pm »
Just took a peak at them.

They look interesting but.... (theres always a but isn't there), I'd personally be a little leary about disipating heat from the tube. Although you will get some heat transfer, the brass will also act as an insulator retaining more heat on the surface of the glass and within the tube itself. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing but I can't imagine that the additional heat is good for the tube.

I defiantely see how they help the tube from being microphonic. You might consider using several of the ring type tube dampers on a single tube. You'd get just about the same effect except you'd leave ample glass surface area exposed for heat dissipation.

.....but then again, I could be all wet.

Mike D

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2005, 01:52 am »
Those are the same points that I made to my friend when he first got them years ago.  They also have a grounding ribbon of copper that connects to the chasis of the component.  They are still a mystery to me, but I know what I heard two years ago when Shab first put them in his system.  It was not similar to what we hear with our Hal-Os.  The copper dampers seemed to add more body and mid as opposed to the way the Hal-Os lessen the treble.  Both of them have the same influence on the soundstage.  There are two reasons why I have not purchased them: they are too expensive and I also am fearful of poor heat dissipation.

By the way, I just finished a looooooong parade through town.  It was our Santa parade.  MAN, it was cold.  

Happy Leftovers!

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2005, 02:59 am »
If I might jump in here...
Nope, haven't tried them, but have just started learning to enjoy the 'Herbies' that  Mike accidentally left here.... :wink:
They don't seem THAT much more expensive, if just doing a few tubes. What, 40% or so?
My thought that provoked me to post was thinking that if one added some dielectric compound similar to what one puts between CPU and heatsink on a 'puter, this might help dissapate some concerns...
Then again, who wants to shorten the life of their tubes...
The stuff I would consider glopping on there would be stuff I've been using since hot-rodding pc's.  It's got silver floating in it and looks *real* similar to that stuff folks put on there connection surfaces of interconnects and such.  I would think that the silver/copper around the tube might be more effective to removing heat than plain air or the glass of the tube itself.
Or, I might just be thinking too much, and you guys gotta promise me you won't tell anyone.... 8)

Regards,
DeadFish

Mike D

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2005, 05:14 pm »
Quote from: DeadFish

Then again, who wants to shorten the life of their tubes...
The stuff  ...

nope.  That's just what the company claims they do.   :)

I would have gone with these instead of the Hal-Os if it were not for the heat fear and the fact that I was searching for dampers for 20 tubes total.  That is when the cost issue kicked in.  Herbie's money back policy was also attractive.  BUTT, the real selling point for the Herbie's was an article written by some guy name Joe who rated a handful of tweaks that really did work.  Joe Audiophile was the author's name.  :wink:  He listed a few tweaks and ranked them in order based on which ones come the closest to achieving their goals.