Switch to Squeeze Box 3

lcrim

Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« on: 25 Nov 2005, 05:43 am »
About a week ago I began playing w/ PC Audio.  I got a three year old laptop w/ a Pentium III 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, a 20 gig hard drive and loaded XP Pro.  I bought a 300 (actually 279) gig IDE drive and a fanless  enclosure w/ USB.  Picked up 2 PCMCIA cards, one for WiFi and one for USB 2.0 because older PC's don't include either only USB 1.1 (much slower.)
Put this setup in another room for noise isolation and got it on my home wireless network.  Started using EAC to rip CD's to flac onto the big hard drive and connected it to my living room system via an M-Audio Transit using Foobar as a player and my cheap DAC.  I found the sound quality to be better than any other digital solution I have tried.
There were some caveats however.  The laptop didn't really have enough resources to run Foobar @ high oversampleing rates and rip CD's or even run a virus scan w/o clicks and other annoying noises.  With nothing else running it was fine but you also had to walk over to it to set up play lists or change them etc.
I wanted to get this quality of digital playback into my bedroom system as well so SB3 was a natural using WiFi.  When I was placing the order it occurred to me that with the $100 discount for 2 systems, I could have greater utility in the user interface in both systems for an additional $200
The two units arrived last night after work and they were up and running within 5 minutes.  I can actually access the older laptop running Slim Server from the laptop where I am typing this post.  I can set play lists for both players from here, really neat.
The sound quality w/ the stock players using WiFi and the cheap M-Audio Superdac 24/96 in each system is very impressive.  The SB3 using the same DAC sounds better than the Transit, richer and more musical.  I'm keeping my vinyl setups but for ease of use, they don't compare.    
Granted, I'm a network admin but the technology isn't that difficult to figure out.
Very highly recommended.  Inexpensive and good.

jermmd

Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2005, 01:05 pm »
Larry,

Your experience reflects mine and many others. Computer audio and especially the Squeezebox has surpassed typical CD quality and far surpassed ease of use issues.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2005, 03:54 pm »
In addition, there are SB2/SB3 mods that push the envelope in sound quality.

Happy Holidays!

lcrim

Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2005, 04:37 am »
I found a linear power supply at work that puts out 5V DC @ 1AMP and tried it w/ one of my SB3's as well as the latest Slimserver update.  Turned off the digital volume control and noted an improvement from each of these experiments.  The removal of the digital volume control probably had the most positive effect.  
Then I put the Transit back into the other system and swapped back and forth between the Transit w/ Foobar and the other SB3 w/o the digital volume control and found that I have changed my preference.  The sound with the Transit was a bit more detailed and had a bit better bass slam.  
The SB3 has better functionality and the gap wasn't much but I think I'll be using the Transit/Foobar combination in the living room and the SB3 through WiFi  in the bedroom system as per my original plan.  So I have a spare SB3 available.

JDUBS

Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2005, 05:12 am »
Quote from: lcrim
The removal of the digital volume control probably had the most positive effect.

This is interesting to hear.  I'm purchasing one this week and have heard many times that plugging this thing directly into the amp (using the onboard digital volume control) was the way to go.

Anyone else have any experiences they could share regarding the digital volume control on-board the SB2/SB3?

Thanks!
Jim

Horizons

• Restricted
Re: Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2005, 12:24 am »
Quote from: lcrim
Started using EAC to rip CD's to flac onto the big  ...

Does FLAC sound as good as uncompressed WAV files? Has anyone compared the two? I am about to rip over 1000 CDs and I am trying to decide which way to go here.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2005, 12:35 am »
FLAC sounds exactly the same as a WAV file.  It is lossless compression and has no down side other than it can't be played natively in all devices and products.

This of course is not an issue for a Squeeze Box.

George

Horizons

• Restricted
Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2005, 12:39 am »
Thanks George.

FLAC it is.

BTW, we apparently have exactly the same taste in music.

>>everything but rap

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Switch to Squeeze Box 3
« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2005, 01:51 am »
Quote from: Horizons
Thanks George.

FLAC it is.

BTW, we apparently have exactly the same taste in music.

>>everything but rap

NICE!!   :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Squueze Box.  I know mine has absolutely changed the way I listen to music.

George