Video settings to optimize video quality?

pennylane

« on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:22 pm »
I have mediocre equipment (I'm a college student but I've strung together some speakers, a receiver, etc.).  My TV is only a Samsung flat CRT but supposedly it's HD ready, the option is just not accessible from standard menus.  I have an Onkyo DV-CP802 for a DVD player.

I realize the limits but I'm fairly certain that color and various other settings could be adjusted to make the picture better.  I know that I know next to nothing about video stuff.  I don't expect a miracle or anything but I'll take what I can get.  Is there anything I can do?  Thanks.

Edit: Also, there is a vertical line on my screen ever since I started using composite video cables.  It's transparent but noticable with light colors.  Any idea how to get rid of it?

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:47 pm »
If you are willing to accept the possbility of electrocution I might suggest opening up your set to see if there's any controls hidden inside.  I got a used TV and the picture was dying, but after I popped it open I realized the bastards had hidden all the good shit inside!  Hue adjustment, RGB gain, focus, all sorts of stuff all on little pots you adjust with a screwdriver!  (in olden times I remember these being external!)  After tweaking the knobs (a mirror helps so you can see what you're doing) I got an excellent image out of it.  Natural flesh tones, great contrast, sharp, no blooming colors, looks awesome.

Of course, you should exhaust all the user-adjustable parameters on the set first.  And be aware of how the software and hardware controls interact with each other.  That way you can make sure there's enough wiggle room on the software controls for fine tuning.   You want to get the hardware in the ballpark and then take it the rest of the way with the onscreen adjustments.  And again, that tube can kill you so just be aware of where your limbs are at all times and use insulated tools.  Yeah, there's an official method for discharging the tube for maximum safety, but how the hell can you adjust the picture with it off?

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2005, 10:10 pm »
For the vertical line, reroute your cables and check how well they are seated.  This fixed an s-video problem I had.  There should be "hidden" menus called service menus.  Check:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

Just be very careful in there.

pennylane

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2005, 12:37 am »
How do I get to the service menus?  Does that vary with the TV I have?  What are the chances  I permanantly damage my TV?