Usher D2 and Bella "projects" underway

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Usher D2 and Bella "projects" underway
« on: 20 Nov 2005, 03:58 pm »
With a goal of producing the Ultimate D2 loudspeaker, I will be starting on a pair of crossovers that will go above and beyond the EXtreme version as mentioned on my website.

The crossovers will be built within a pair of full size amplifier chassis. 17" x 14" x 5". All high pass capacitors, for the TAD compression driver, will be a combination of VH Audio Teflon and OIMP caps. The low pass filter will contain high quality film caps for a majority of the value with OIMP bypass.
 When looking at the front panel, you will actually think you are looking at a integrated amplifier or preamp as there will be a few knobs found here.
 The knobs will control two separate selector switches which will be for the variable attenuation of both the bass drivers and horn.

The back panel of each crossover will contain several sets of Eichmann Cable Pods just for the inputs alone as there will also be a ZERO-Autoformer found within each crossover to bring the impedance of these speakers up to 8 ohm and 16 ohm to better mate with tube amps.

The speaker outputs for the horn will contain a pair of Bybee purifiers.
 I have decided to stick with binding post for the outputs rather than my initial intentions of going with speak-on connector to allow me to experiment with different speaker cable to hook of the speakers to the crossovers. There is about 15 feet of wire that is needed to connect each speaker to the external crossover.

Estimated weight of each crossover will be around 30 lbs. This project will take a while due to my current mod schedule but I hope to have them finished up sometime after the New Year.

The reason I mention the Bella speaker in the Subject box is because I plan on doing something similar with the Bella SP/AV-2 speaker. Althought it will not be to the extreme of the D2 project, I do want to have an additional pair of external crossovers for the Bella 2's on hand. Being external crossovers, they can easily be swapped out for comparison listening.

Finally....... the reasoning for these over the top crossover designs was not entirely due to my personal itches. The D2 design is due to customer inquiries. I have had interested parties ask me to put together a crossover of this magnitude. With the D2s (and Bella speakers), they can enjoy the speakers with the included crossovers and swap them out when the updated versions are released. No down time.