Continuum AD MKII Arrive!

Tbadder1

« on: 18 Nov 2005, 03:08 pm »
Review will follow in the critique section sometime in about a month or so.

Right now I've got them burning 24/7 to the Congos (great Reggae group, crystalline recording).  I'll burn them continuously through Thanksgiving weekend.

My inital reactions: first, these babies were packed extremely well, at 240 lbs for the pair, these are real backbreakers for an old fart like me.  I had to rig up a system of slides and a little red wagon in order to get them inside.  Man oh man, did I look like a nerd unloading them; I was glad it was dark.

Second, these were supposed to be cosmetically flawed, and indeed they were.  But Bob did a very fine job fixing them up.  One speaker was nearly flawless, and any imperfections were impossible to see as they were at the back of the speaker.  The imperfections in the other speaker, though more numerous, were still difficult to see.  I had to hunt for the supposed nick, and while a person might get lucky and find it by accident, 95% of the people in the world wouldn't have noticed.  From the listening position each speaker appeared to be absolutely flawless. The point is, even without seeing the intial state of the speaker, it was obvious Bob put a lot of work into these to bring them up to snuff.  Much appreciated Bob.

I hesitate to say anything about the quality of the sound yet, but who can resist not listening to newly arrived toys.  Lets just say I wasn't expecting what I heard.  In fact I heard the opposite of what I thought I'd hear...but I'm gonna put the cat back in the bag as this could and should change as burn in progresses.  In addition, the amp (Clayton S40) hasn't been used in almost three months, so there's some re-burning-in it must do, ditto on the speakers cables (PS Audio Statements).

So, right now I'm feeling like a lucky man...lets see if the luck holds.

Peace
Dan

PeteG

« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2005, 03:18 pm »
Congratulations Dan,
After a little break-in time it will be hard to keep that cat in the bag.
What will be your sources.

Pete

Tbadder1

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2005, 08:28 pm »
One thing that Bob and I agree on is passive pre-amps.  I've had so many pre-amps and not one of them was as good as the Luminous Audio passive ($149 brand new).  Of course I mean, not one of them in my system was as good.  I've had Bel Canto, Accuphase, Audio Research, Monarchy Audio, Levinson, geez I can't remember, probably 5 or 6 more...oh yeah Rotel, ASL.  To be fair to Accuphase and AR they were really old and I suspect showing their age.

CDP is a Modwright Sony 9000 Level III. That's really it.  My interconnects are Nordost Red Dawn.  My new speaker cables are going to Audioquest Gibraltors with 72DBs.  Although I think people have underrated the PS Audio Statements (they soundstage like a friggin' champ).  It's just that when it's solid core and 6 feet in length and weighs in at 5/6 pounds they are a bitch to use.

Tbadder1

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2005, 08:29 pm »
OOPS.  Power cords are LC Foundation 1 for CDP and LC Foundation 2 for amp.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2005, 04:40 am »
Congrats Dan !!! Enjoy those new speakers, their excellent....and don't be afraid to turn up the volume... :rock:
    Had an idea :idea: ...I think there are a few other AC members in your area...audiojerry, earlmarc, come to mind...maybe a get-together to try out a few things with the SP Tech's...like I said....just an idea. :) [/list:u]
      Happy listening !!![/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]