Continuum 2.5 in Figured Cherry

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« on: 18 Nov 2005, 12:56 am »
Folks,

Here's a recent photo of the Continuum 2.5 in Figured Cherry.  It found a happy home in Germany.  As I understand, Dr. Ralph is rock'n these puppies with a pair of Belles Reference 350 monoblocks.  I think I'd rather be there. :mrgreen:

-Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2005, 01:00 am »
Stunning picture Bob. Very nice work. Now if I could only decide between the 2.5 or the Revelation first. I will just have to get both in.

NealH

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2005, 01:01 am »
That's a nice looking speaker Bob.  What is the response of this speaker anechoically?

I wonder what a quality speaker like this would sound like if the enclosure system was a concrete type substance (virtually zero resonance)?

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2005, 01:22 am »
Bill,

Thanks!  You know, you really do need both. :mrgreen:

rnhood,

The anechoic response is +/- 2dB 26Hz - 24kHz.  -3dB @ 25Hz & 30kHz.  
In actuality, the above +/- is our published "spec."  I don't let anything out the door if it's not less than +/-1.25 dB.  That's mainly because the systems H.F. response is dominated by the waveguide.  It eliminates most of the diffraction effects that cause high "Q" peaks and dips in the frequency response of most speakers.  Once you eliminate them it becomes relatively easy to get a +/- 1dB response.  If I have an enclosure that's worse than that, I immediately know something is wrong.  So...I don't let them out the door unless they're that flat.  If they work - they are.  If they're "broken" - then they're not.  It definately makes for easier QA control.

As far as a "concrete" enclosure goes?  Y-e-a-h baby.  Who wouldn't want one?  But...there's always the "devil" ($$$) to pay.  You don't even want to know what that would cost to ship - let alone build!  While it's certainly not concrete, our 1.5 inch thick, constrained-layer damped walls and heavy internal bracing go a long way in emulating that level of performance.  They also make our stuff affordable without a mortgage. :wink:

-Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2005, 01:34 am »
Thanks! You know, you really do need both.

Absolutely!!! In time my friend, in time.

I am bringing in one of the new Luminance KST-150 amplifiers which I think will do nicely with the MR speakers. Maybe I will bring in two so I can do a bi-amp :D