Mods for TEAC...

lowrider

• DIY
Mods for TEAC...
« on: 17 Nov 2005, 07:53 pm »
I intend to buy a TEAC DR-L700 and possibly mod it a bit:

Red Wine replaces the 35V, 1,000uF power supply decoupling cap with a 50V, 1,500uF Panasonic FC capacitor, someone else with a 50v, 1,000uF Black Gate...

What is the difference ? Wich one will work better with Omega A8 or similar efficient full-range speakers ? Will they sound different with 4ohm and 8ohm loads ?

Also, if I use the Transcendent Balanced Power Supply, or something similar, will replacing the original power chord still improve the sound ?

Thanks,

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Mods for TEAC...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2005, 12:01 am »
Welcome Antonio!

Are you quoting the wrong Teac model number?  The model Vinnie at Red Wine Audio modifies is the A-L700P, a 3 channel/30 watts per channel amp.  (Maybe in Europe it's relabeled?)  With high efficiency speakers this amp would blow you out of the house (112 dB continous with the Visaton B200 based A8s in an average sized room).  With such overwhelming power, impedance matching shouldn't begin to be a problem.

Unless you can't live under the time limit that batteries impose on the Red Wine modded Teac, it's the absolutely best way to go.  No conditioner at any price can provide the quality of power that batteries can.  Batteries also provide better transient response due to their naturally built in power reserves.  Overall batteries provide IMO an ideal and unquestionably best possible solution, especially in light of how reactive digital circuits can be to "dirty" power.  You also avoid potential grounding issues and all the power cord questions that can haunt audiophiles.

lowrider

• DIY
Mods for TEAC...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2005, 04:33 pm »
Thanks,

I know I am speaking of a different model, mine is a DVD receiver, no room for bateries, but it has the same Tripath amplifier board, so the mods still apply...

Louis O

Mods for TEAC...
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2005, 02:29 am »
Hi lowrider,

JLM is right about the model that Vinnie modifies and he does modify the board as well. He can also upgrade the power supply in your unit.  The tripath has great synergy with the A8s.

Thanks again,
Louis

lowrider

• DIY
Mods for TEAC...
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2005, 11:37 am »
As I said in my other thread, I might buy the JVC EX-A1 instead, in that case I wont mod, just use a balanced power supply, replace the power chord, put ERS inside the lid and use Ceraball or other supports, hope it will be enough to get good sound...