Reclocking the modded Toshiba 3980???

eric the red

« on: 17 Nov 2005, 01:21 am »
Hey Vinnie-Any advantages/sonic improvements gained by  installing one of the aftermarket super clocks on your modded Toshiba or is it not worth the cost/trouble? Thanks :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Reclocking the modded Toshiba 3980???
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2005, 02:19 am »
Quote from: eric the red
Hey Vinnie-Any advantages/sonic improvements gained by  installing one of the aftermarket super clocks on your modded Toshiba or is it not worth the cost/trouble? Thanks :D

Hi ETR,

In the past I've tried an LClock X02 in a modded Toshiba (back then it was the 3950).  To be perfectly honest, I didn't find that the subtle improvement was worth the cost for one of these clocks...at least on that player.  The clock is expensive and far from being a real "bang for the buck" mod, IMHO.  

Keep in mind that if you do install an upgraded clock, it is important that you make sure the clock output voltage is equivalent to that produced by the stock clock circuit that you are replacing (it is not a good idea to connect the 5V output of the LClock X02 to replace a clock circuit that was outputting a 3.3V or 2.5V clock!)  When replacing clocks, you really need to have a decent oscilloscope on hand to see what the clock waveform looks like.  IMO, doing a proper clock upgrade in not a simple plug-n-chug mod.  You need to made sure you fully disable the stock clock circuit, as you don't want it to muck with the new one.  The power supply to the new clock should also be very clean.  If you are tapping off of a noisy rail from the dvd player's SMPS (which may be shared by many other digital chips), I wouldn't even bother upgrading the clock, as it might end up being a mod with no benefit, or can make things worse.  

There are other considerations that should be taken into account to properly install an upgraded clock, but maybe this is a little more than you wanted to know  :roll:   :wink:  Sorry for the rambling...

eric the red

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2005, 03:36 am »
Thanks for the info as i was just curious. I did buy an aftermarket PC for the Toshiba though haha... :hyper: