Pioneer Vintage Tuner

Digi-G

Pioneer Vintage Tuner
« on: 16 Nov 2005, 03:58 pm »
I just bought a vintage Pioneer TX-6800 Tuner from ebay.  The thing works and sounds like a charm.  The best part - it cost me $16 plus $14 shipping.   :D  

I've got it hooked to a Denon AVR-3300 receiver.  The receiver has a built-in tuner, but... it SUCKS!  It just doesn't pull stations in very well and it is a major pain in the arse to even use.

Now, the Pioneer isn't top-of-the-line as far as their models go.  I did a little research and it was actually the bottom of their 1979 tuner lineup (they offered 3 tuners that year).  But it does circles around the Denon tuner section and is as easy to use as a tuner should be (the large tuning flywheel will always beat digital tuning buttons).

Changing the receiver input I could easily compare the Pioneer tuner with the Denon built-in tuner.  No contest.  The pioneer sounded wider with distinctly better channel separation and better dynamics.

Granted, I don't listen to radio that much, but I still consider this one of my better audio purchases in a while.  Defintely a fun buy.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/TX-6800.jpg

warnerwh

Pioneer Vintage Tuner
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2005, 05:36 pm »
At that price that was an excellent buy. Tuners in receivers these days are pretty much junk. Literally worse than the tuner sections that came in tuners in the 60's.