Another Chapter in the Ongoing Saga of the Panny XR-45

Images

Dear Wayne,

Let's see if I can make this concise.  Two years ago I bought the Panny XR-45 with the intention of having it modified by you.  Then I got distracted by a heart attack.  Now, fully recovered I am glad to say, I still have the Panny and the need for mods.  I should also mention that though I survived, my sole-proprietorship did not and, consequently, I am on a much tighter budget than was the case two years ago.  Regardless, the $700ish mod(s) you then offered are something I can manage.  However, I don't know if you still offer them, so that is question number one.  Question two is, do I still want them?  The reason I ask is that I recall from the several long threads then on AudioCircle that you mentioned something to the effect that as far as Multi-channel reproduction goes, the Panny was good for 5.1 reproduction of DVD soundtracks, but was ill-suited for multi-channel SACD reproduction.   (This was/is due to the fact that the SACD output is only available as an analog signal -- though I have the impression that this may soon no longer be the case.)  I find it "convenient" that the Panny allows for home theatre playback of DVDs, but audio quality -- within a budget -- is my first concern.  I had thought that the Panny would allow me to have my cake and eat it too, meaning that with your mods I could enjoy quality stereo playback and get the HT capability as a fringe benefit.  Now the issue is that I have decided that I want the ability to have multi-channel SACD playback.   I listen primarily to orchestral music and SACD multi-channel playback seems very well suited for this.

So, do I still want to continue with the XR-45, or go an entirely different route?  I need to draw on your expertise, Wayne, to figure this out.  I have only been "shopping" for the past week, and remember, I have been out of the loop for almost two years due to my "medical distractions."  What I have so far considered, in terms of replacing the Panny but still staying in the realm of receivers so as to keep within by budget, are the Denon AVR 3805 ($1200) or the Arcam DiVA AVR 300 ($2000, or $1600 in B stock).  Both these receivers take me back to analog amplification.  This really is not the direction I want to go.  I'd much prefer to keep the entire audio process in the digital realm, as is the case with the XR-45.  Can this even be done?  Will the XR-45, with your mods (if still available), allow me to go where I want to?  I suspect the answer would be 'yes,' but only if I did not want multi-channel SACD playback.  Then, other than the two named receivers, are there other routes you could suggest to me, preferably routes that would allow the signal path to remain fully digital, thus avoiding signal conversions both to and from analog?  I should note that I have a passing familiarity with the Nuforce Reference 8 monoblocs.  It certainly seems to me that these would do the trick, but 5 of them @ $800 ea., not to mention a pre/pro, is not within my means.  My speakers are MTM configured two-ways using ScanSpeak 8545 drivers resulting in a 4 ohm load and a sensitivity of 86 dBs.   These speakers require some power to perform.

Thanks for you attention, Wayne.  FWIW, in that I am trolling for opinions, input from others besides Wayne is welcome and invited.

tubesguy

« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2005, 08:01 pm »
You might want to check out one of the Sony integrateds, like the AVD series.  They do CD and SACD from an internal drive, and are digital from start to finish.  Very nice - Pat

CornellAlum

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2005, 08:21 pm »
What does the Sony have to do with a modded panny :?:   Having heard both, in my opinion, nothing :!:  :wink:

suits_me

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2005, 02:45 am »
Which Sony did you hear that you didn't think compared wll to a modded Panny? Not all the Sony's are the same, as you know.

NealH

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2005, 03:21 am »
I agree with tubesguy, those Sony AVD integrateds are very nice.  Don't waste your money trying to make the Panasonic into something it was never meant to be.

tschanrm

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2005, 04:16 am »
You mentioned that you may use the mutli-channel from SACD- let me give you some more food for thought:

Images, FWIW there are new Hi-Def optical discs due to be out in 2006, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.  Both of these formats have new lossless audio options (Dolby TrueHD and DTS ++/DTS HD).   Standard S/PDIF signal will only be able to carry Dolby Digital and DTS, both lossy signals.  I am pretty sure, but not positive, that HDMI will allow DTSHD and TrueHD to be decoded by the player, and send 5.1 pcm digitally to the receiver.  There is a megolithic thread going on AVS Forum about the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6540654#post6540654

Furthermore, the new 1.2 HDMI spec allows SACD to be sent over HDMI (to my knowledge I don't know if it is converted to pcm or stays DSD.)  However, it is uknown when receivers will use the new 1.2 spec, probably sometime in 2006.

If it were me, and I was planning on keeping my 5.1 system for a while, I would look into analog amplification, a Switching Analog Amplifer ( JVC RX-d201/301/401/701), or wait for a Class D PWM amp that includes the HDMI 1.2 spec.

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2005, 12:11 am »
One thing you want to check out is, the new Panny XR55. It has bi-amping -in which mode, some 6 amplifiers of the total 7 in the receiver are used for stereo playback.  I am using this mode and I get very good depth/soundstage (much much more than the XR50). I think in this mode, with a good power cord and a good digital connection, the XR55 can compete with $.5K cd player and a $1K Int. amp (like Arcam, Musical Fidelity etc).

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2005, 06:30 am »
I should note that I have a passing familiarity with the Nuforce Reference 8 monoblocs. It certainly seems to me that these would do the trick, but 5 of them @ $800 ea., not to mention a pre/pro, is not within my means

If you apply NuForce standard bundle price, the 5 amps cost $3400. But if you purchase 5 Ref 8s with the upcoming AVP-16 pre/pro, the total bundle price is likely to be <$4200.  You'll get much better sound than your high end Denon etc all-in-one system and cost about the same.

ABEX

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2005, 04:20 pm »
Jason
Someone had listed a review site of the amps at AA. The initial reports sound impressive.

Plus going with seperates gives more versatility I think.

Sounds like there is a winning combo going on. Good luck!