Construction tip

wmeckle

Construction tip
« on: 14 Nov 2005, 11:42 am »
Hi Gang:
     Pre-sort resistors when building a project, to make it easy to find the right one to install. I use an old cardboard box, marked into sections, then insert the resistors in the edge. Check the pix at:

http://www.wmeckle.com/System/Sort-Resistors.JPG

rabbitz

Construction tip
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2005, 01:26 pm »
Yep.... getting organised helps greatly and saves a lot of errors. I measure them and stick them onto A4 sheets of paper with masking tape and write the values and component locations. Re check values once more when I snip them off the paper.

Three cheers for OCD.

fajimr

Construction tip
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2005, 04:10 pm »
thanks for the tip Bill/Rabbitz and keep them coming!!!!  

I, as a DIY newbie, appreciate all the insights and experiences that others have to share...

Rhythm Willie

Construction tip
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2005, 03:35 am »
Agreed - I just measured & sorted them into a big multi partitioned fishing tackle box,with tags - makes board loading much easier.

rabbitz

Construction tip
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2005, 11:16 am »
The best construction tip I can give, is follow Hugh's instructions as there are none better. I've made 3 purchases and every one has fired up first time with no dramas. Even when I've done something stupid later and taken out a transistor, followed Hugh's diagnostics and knew what the problem was in 30 minutes.

The only thing I would add, is for a new builder to get some experience on some basic non mains kits before tackling anything like the AKSA or GK-1. It will pay off and you'll have more confidence.

PSP

Construction tip
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2005, 05:00 pm »
I use a table-mounted illuminated magnifying glass.  It's easy to spend $150 for these, but they can occasionally be found for $35... BTW, the $35 version sounds just as good as the more expensive ones!!   :mrgreen:  I use this for all soldering work... you can easily see if your soldering is good and check for possible solder bridges that shouldn't be there.  I't also nice to help identify parts when the part number lettering is small and faint.

I also like Cardas solder.  I've never been able to "hear" solder, but I have heard bad solder joints at least twice (distortion and fuzz that clears up when I re-flow the solder joint).  Cardas solder flows very nicely and has a relatively low melting point (good for temperature sensitive components).  It's not cheap, but I think it saves me a lot of grief.

If you get tired, STEP AWAY FROM THE SOLDER IRON, go listen to music, walk the dog, check in with your sweetie, but don't keep working on the amp.  Leave and come back to the amp when you are fresh and have some quality time to spend.

Have fun, stay flexible and curious.
Peter

jules

Construction tip
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2005, 10:00 pm »
I found this useful:

http://samengstrom.com/elec/resistor/6band.html

It's a web based tool for converting resistor colour bands to values. While it's quite easy to do this on paper [or in your head if you are familiar with the system], it's also very easy to make a mistake. This method helps eliminate such errors. I also found a sort of childish pleasure in using it  :D

I also agree with PSP on Cardas solder. It's available from Michael Percy www.percyaudio.com  Michael Percy also has a useful pdf of stock available with a well selected range of products. They are reliable if sometimes slow to respond to emails.

jules

gonefishin

Construction tip
« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2005, 05:38 am »
I'd also add to get a semi-nice soldering station.  You don't have to spend several hundred dollars.  But spending a little bit of money on the iron will make things go so much easier.  Especially when you make mistakes.  A nice quick heat up of the solder makes for a fast removal of said component (resisitor, cap etc.)  The less time I spend with my iron on the board...the better ;)

Also...my thinking (now) is to mount the amplifier boards near by the inputs and outputs.  But rather than mounting the transfomers and power supply board early on.  I was thinking on my next AKSA project.  I would wait until I'm completed with the amp and in the testing stages.

The "connecting" +/- and AC wires would be easy enough to modify or change out later.  But you would have the ability to play with transformer and power supply postioning and angles during the listening test.  Should any hum be present...you can adjust your wire routing as well as the physical placment of transformers and power supply board.

Just a thought...I'd like to hear what others think.  *of course...so far I've been pretty lucky that my AKSA25n+ only has a very minor amount of hum when you put your ear near the driver exit on my 106db mid horn...and the AKSA 100N+ is extrememly quiet on my 95db woofers.  But I still think this may be a good idea.  Maybe it's over kill?

take care,
     dan

Geoff-AU

Construction tip
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2005, 10:04 am »
Quote from: rabbitz
follow Hugh's instructions as there are none better.

Definitely.  Hugh's instructions are top notch.  He does however get his kitsets packed by IKEA as mine had 2 (trivial) components missing :lol:

rabbitz

Construction tip
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:05 pm »
Well, mine had a couple of extras, so I must have got your bits Geoff.  :lol:

AKSA

Construction tip
« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:19 pm »
Yikes!!  I'd better keep out of this one............ :lol:

(I'm lost in IKEA!!)

Cheers,

Hugh

SamL

Construction tip
« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2006, 06:45 am »
Just found this from another forum….
For new starter who wanted to build an AKSA amp/preamp but not so sure about soldering, you can now download soldering tutorial (movies with sound) from http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/
1st  is Basic Soldering Equipment.
2nd  is Basic Soldering Techniques.
3rd is Surface Mount Soldering Techniques  
4th (in the making) is desoldering.
I find the low resolution version is good enough but you might want to download the high res version for Surface Mount Soldering Techniques.

Have fun
Sam

soitstarts

Construction tip
« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2006, 09:35 am »
Just a little one.
I needed some standoffs for my GK1 but couldn't find any long enough (75mm). After keeping it in the back of my mind while doing other things, I tried using those micro sprinkler risers that screw into the poly pipe. Turned out a treat as the supplied barb became the screw for the PCB and can also be used as a multi level joiner if the other barb is not trimmed off. I have no probs with stability at 75mm But you could slide a nail or something in the bore if you needed to.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/2501030350056366959FbDEFu">http://thumb19.webshots.com/t/53/53/0/30/35/2501030350056366959FbDEFu_th.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Webshots.com">
by shrug77