New deputy in town

ekovalsky

New deputy in town
« on: 12 Nov 2005, 10:23 pm »
Anthony Padilla just sent me a fully modded/rebuilt TacT S2150 amp.  Here are some of the changes from stock:

Install high voltage/current toroidal transformer for DSP board
Replacement ofl five pulse transformers with Scientific Conversion SC947-02
Power entry module wtih built-in noise "firewall" and Furutech IEC
Replacement of all caps with Sanyo Oscon
Replacement of 3.3v regulator
Replacement of rectifiers with ultra high speed, soft recovery diode bridges
Replacement of all cables with Cu-Ag teflon dielectric ribbons
Addition of EMI/RF sponge material and magnet wires
Replacement of Mosfets 8)

I haven't had much time to listen yet but the improvements over stock are quite impressive.  Much more to follow...

Next week I should have a fully modded 2.2X as well.  Experiments with DSP tri-amping and bypassing the 2.2X on the mid/tweeter section (i.e. using it only for the subs and main channel woofers) are planned too  :!:

CornellAlum

New deputy in town
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2005, 04:19 am »
How much for the mods Eric?  Looks good!

D~

Rocket

New deputy in town
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2005, 04:34 am »
Hi Eric,

What amplifiers have you used previously in the your system?  I know you used to have a pair of vmps elixir's and now use alon speakers.

Regards

Rod

ekovalsky

New deputy in town
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2005, 04:48 am »
Quote from: CornellAlum
How much for the mods Eric?  Looks good!

D~

We haven't talked business yet

:peek:

ekovalsky

New deputy in town
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2005, 04:51 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Eric,

What amplifiers have you used previously in the your system?  I know you used to have a pair of vmps elixir's and now use alon speakers.

Regards

Rod

Only other amp I've tried with the Alons was a Blue Circle 204, which was incrediblely good.  I had a Jeff Rowland 302/4 with the VMPS speakers and prior to that had Aragon 8008BB, Sonic Frontiers Power3.

I expect to get a DarTZeel NHB-108 to try in the next month or so.  The others I'd be very interested in hearing are the LAMM hybrids and ASR Emitter series.  HP has found nirvana with the latter and his pair of Alons.  He's even using one on the sub towers  :o

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
New deputy in town
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2005, 05:05 am »
I expect to get a DarTZeel NHB-108 to try in the next month or so.
    Looks like an interesting amp Eric. Did a little
reading...and I see "NHB" stands for ...."Never Heard Before". 8) [/list:u]
    Chris[/list:u]

CornellAlum

New deputy in town
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2005, 06:41 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky
Only other amp I've tried with the Alons was a Blue Circle 204, which was incrediblely good.  I had a Jeff Rowland 302/4 with the VMPS speakers and prior to that had Aragon 8008BB, Sonic Frontiers Power3.

I expect to get a DarTZeel NHB-108 to try in the next month or so.  The others I'd be very interested in hearing are the LAMM hybrids and ASR Emitter series.  HP has found nirvana with the latter and his pair of Alons.  He's even using one on the sub towers  :o

I have been following HP's latest, if you get them, please do tell!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
New deputy in town
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2005, 12:20 pm »
Quote from: ekovalsky

DarTZeel...I wonder which little birdie whispered to you about that amp.

The LAMM amps are quite good, but I have only heard the tubed version, not the hybrids.

What about the top end BC mono's?

George

ekovalsky

New deputy in town
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:12 am »
Quote from: zybar
DarTZeel...I wonder which little birdie whispered to you about that amp.

The LAMM amps are quite good, but I have only heard the tubed version, not the hybrids.

What about the top end BC mono's?

George

Oh yeah, those too !  

My experiments in active multi-amping with (3) S2150s are very encouraging.  But I need a few more days to get it right -- measuring and programming the system is very time consuming...

tdangelo

New deputy in town
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2005, 01:39 am »
I had Anthony (aberdeencomponents.com) do a full mod on my Tact 2.0S (he calls it his "soup to nuts" mod).  All I can say at this point is WOW!  It's really amazing.  It took me awhile to get used to it - it sounded so different but now that I've had it for several days I can say its sooo much better!  I use the DAC in my 2.0S - I always thought that DAC was pretty good (liked it better than a Benchmark DAC)  - but now its outstanding!  I've been listening to old CD's - most of them are much more listenable.  I've got 2200+ CD's ripped to FLAC so I've got lots of rediscovering to do  It will be much easier with the SB2 :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
New deputy in town
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2005, 01:55 am »
Quote from: tdangelo
I had Anthony (aberdeencomponents.com) do a full mod on my Tact 2.0S (he calls it his "soup to nuts" mod).  All I can say at this point is WOW!  It's really amazing.  It took me awhile to get used to it - it sounded so different but now that I've had it for several days I can say its sooo much better!  I use the DAC in my 2.0S - I always thought that DAC was pretty good (liked it better than a Benchmark DAC)  - but now its outstanding!  I've been listening to old CD's - most of them are much more listenable ...

Can you elaborate on what was done to the 2.0S?

George

tdangelo

New deputy in town
« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2005, 02:12 am »
this is just a quick cut/paste of what he did - I think it's complete.

"all clocks changed, all four of them to low voltage, high stability type, with ultra clean 3.3v feeding them directly right from the 3.3v regulator.

voltage was fine tuned on the power supply to your unit to provide ripple free power.

power supply upgrade w/Sanyo Oscons

Dac upgrade

replace pulse trans on digital input

Motherboard upgrade = replacement of the 3.3v regulator and replacement of all capacitors (7) with Sanyo Oscons

Cable upgrade (Nordost flat ribbons) hroughout with ferrites in the "right" spots.

Application of sound dampening material

Application of "special 500 material" on chips and chassis

Unfiltered IEC assembly

custom jumper wire from power supply to mother board"