New USB DAC product??

studley

New USB DAC product??
« on: 11 Nov 2005, 12:42 pm »
Steve
in a recent post you referred to a USB DAC that you are designing.  Am I right in assuming that this product will do the same job as  an off ramp turbo + P/3A package?

Is it your intention that it will become your new reference ?

Also, it would be great if  you could give an indication of when this might be available and what sort of price it might be?

audioengr

Re: New USB DAC product??
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2005, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: studley
Steve
in a recent post you referred to a USB DAC that you are designing.  Am I right in assuming that this product will do the same job as  an off ramp turbo + P/3A package?

Is it your intention that it will become your new reference ?

Also, it would be great if  you could give an indication of when this might be available and what sort of price it might be?

Yes, you got it right.  It will be a remote-controlled DAC with USB, AES, and S/PDIF coax inputs.  Non-upsampling.  Battery powered with AC backup. The case cost and assembly cost is an unknown, so pricing is hard to estimate at this point.  I plan to do a custom case with my unique "trade dress".  With this case, LI-ion batteries and internal power supplies/chargers, it will probably be in the $4K range, but possibly less.  This will be a signature product for me and my new reference.  I imagine that it will be mid next year before it is ready for sale.

Steve N.

Marbles

New USB DAC product??
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2005, 06:51 pm »
Any trade in program for your current "signature products" owners?  :P

kfr01

New USB DAC product??
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2005, 06:52 pm »
Sounds very exciting.

Remote controlled?  So this will be a USB + DAC + PRE?

Such a device would be killer.  

The $4k number puts such a device out of my price-range, and presumably that of many other audio enthusiasts, but nevertheless, it is good to see more products being released that embrace computer audio.

audioengr

New USB DAC product??
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:46 pm »
Quote from: kfr01
Sounds very exciting.

Remote controlled?  So this will be a USB + DAC + PRE?

Such a device would be killer.  

The $4k number puts such a device out of my price-range, and presumably that of many other audio enthusiasts, but nevertheless, it is good to see more products being released that embrace computer audio.

The first one will not have a pre in it, but I have one of these on the drawing board as well.  I was planning to just do a preamp first, but I think the timing is right for the DAC, and I have a limited supply of Black Gates for it.

Steve N.

audioengr

New USB DAC product??
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:48 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Any trade in program for your current "signature products" owners?  :P

For products that are still in demand by next year, I may have a trade-in program, such as the Off-Ramp Turbo, I2S or P-3A.