Phantom center and rear speaker question

mca

« on: 11 Nov 2005, 12:15 am »
What's your take on using phantom center vs. a dedicated center channel?
If you are using a phantom setup, do you feel that you are missing anything?

Also, at what height should direct radiating rear speakers be set at? They are on the side walls a couple feet behind my head at pointed at each other.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Phantom center and rear speaker question
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2005, 12:28 am »
Quote from: mca
What's your take on using phantom center vs. a dedicated center channel?
If you are using a phantom setup, do you feel that you are missing anything?

Also, at what height should direct radiating rear speakers be set at? They are on the side walls a couple feet behind my head at pointed at each other.

I would say that it depends on your seating and video setup.

I have a pj with a screen and no center channel.  Given that my six seats for HT are pretty much between my front speakers, I don't feel that a dedicated center channel will  improve the experience (and certainly not be worth the added cost).  Now if I had a big and bulky tv and/or my seating was much more off axis, a center channel might be a requirement for good sound for all viewers.

George

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2005, 03:09 am »
Mike,

I'm of the opinion that your center is the most important speaker in a HT setup. And that it should be the exact same speaker that is used for your mains.

As far as how high up your rears should be. The tweater should be around 2' above your ear level.

mca

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2005, 04:36 am »
Thanks guys!

grub

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2005, 04:50 pm »
Thanks for the rear tip Bubba. . . I had no idea that the rears speakers (direct radiators) were intended to be mounted that high!
-->grub

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2005, 05:06 pm »
I compared phantom versus center for movies and music.  For most movies, there's not much difference (sitting directly in the center).  For action movies, though, I found a center much more pleasing.  For music (videos), the center is by far better.   Now, that's in my system with my processor (Proceed AVP and VMPS RM30C center channel with RM40 R/L).

rbrb

Re: Phantom center and rear speaker question
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2005, 09:19 pm »
Also, at what height should direct radiating rear speakers be set at? They are on the side walls a couple feet behind my head at pointed at each other.[/quote]

My system took a huge jump in performance when I started using the exact same speaker for each channel.  All at the exact same height.

As for the positioning of the rears....

Hook the rear channel speakers up to the front channel outputs on your amp.  Turn your listening chair 180 degrees to face your rear speakers. Put on some well recorded 2 channel music and position the speakers so that your getting a good stereo soundstage.  

Your rear speakers should virtually disappear just like they would in a 2 channel set up.[/b]