Tact info request

alana106

Tact info request
« on: 10 Nov 2005, 10:56 pm »
Looking for information from users of the Tact room correction / preamp.  I have seen it mentioned favorably by George, Eric and others, and would appreciate anyone’s input.   I currently am using RM-40s with a Rogue preamp and MSB DAC.  The Tact seems to be a great direction that would eliminate both of these.  I noticed several models for sale on A-gon, RCS 2.0, 2.0s, and the 2.2x.  I will not be using a sub on this system, and was hoping for some opinions / suggestions. What is gained in the newer models after the 2.0 that Sterophile reviewed? I wondered if it would fit my needs, or if the 2.0s and 2.2x has some additional benefits or features that would be worth the additional cost?  :D
Thanks!

jermmd

Tact info request
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:17 am »
I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet. The people you mention are big fans of room correction and believe it is needed to reach the ultimate sound that your equipment can produce. Right now the 2.2x is the Tact to get with a power supply upgrade and whatever input/output options are important to you. I bought a fully loaded one with the Aberdeen power supply but I haven't really played with it yet because I'm waiting on new speakers. I already have a very decent pre/pro that offers good volume control, bass management and DACs so I have something to compare it to. If the Tact is not substantially better than my prepro, I'll sell it. That said, I've heard a properly set up Tact at George's house used as DAC and preamp and it was outstanding. The room correction makes a clear improvement to already outstanding sound.

Joe

JoshK

Tact info request
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:18 am »
Your new speakers are HT3s? From what?

clicked on system to answer my own question.  HT3s from RM30s...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Tact info request
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:34 am »
Quote from: alana106
Looking for information from users of the Tact room correction / preamp.  I have seen it mentioned favorably by George, Eric and others, and would appreciate anyone’s input.   I currently am using RM-40s with a Rogue preamp and MSB DAC.  The Tact seems to be a great direction that would eliminate both of these.  I noticed several models for sale on A-gon, RCS 2.0, 2.0s, and the 2.2x.  I will not be using a sub on this system, and was hoping for some opinions / suggestions. What is gained in the newer models ...

It is my understanding that the processing power and the actual correction algorithims were improved over the 2.0 model.

As Joe suggested below, you will absolutely want to get the upgraded power supply from Abderdeen Components.  The upgraded ps turns the TacT into an excellent preamp and dac.

George

Carlman

Tact info request
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:18 pm »
I recently decided to use the TacT 2.0S preamp and TacT S2150 amp.  This is not what I'd intended.  Originally, I was going to use a 2150x which stored correction curves and is an integrated amp.  I like 'all in one' solutions. :)  However, after waiting 2 months for TacT to send a room correction device and fighting with buggy software, I decided to send it back.  After going through that hassle, I had no intention of buying anything other than the 2.0s preamp from TacT.  However, the 2150s when compared to a Butler 2-channel and Nuforce ref-9's just sounded better to my ears.  So, that's how I ended up with what I have.

2 constants ran true though all of this: Room correction is a requirement to me.  And, I wanted to get it as inexpensively as possible for various reasons.

I don't remember what the differences are in the 2.0 (non s) and the 2.0s are.  I was told the 2.0s is better and I know it costs about a grand to get the 2.0 non-s upgraded to 's' level.  

BTW, my dealer has been a huge help to me and probably knows as much as TacT about their gear.  He can help with the technical stuff, models, benefits, etc.  I greatly appreciate Shane's help in building my system.  When I was starting out on the TacT journey, I tried contacting Aberdeen only to get 1 email where he was offering a modified unit for sale on Audiogon.  All subsequent emails about upgrades were ignored after I told him I had a local dealer.  (BTW, I still want to do the upgraded PS if anyone can help me, please send me a PM.)

Getting a good dealer with TacT gear was important to me because I wanted someone that could help when I ran into issues.  Plus, there is a learning curve with this gear.  There's an art to tweaking the system to sound right.  So, Shane has helped me master TacT gear to get it to sound excellent in my room.  (or any room for that matter)

So far, even my most die-hard analog hi-fi friends have enjoyed the results of the TacT.  It fixes things traditional room correction and various cables can't.  If you have done everything in your room possible, I'd bet a lot that the TacT will still provide more audiphile superlatives... especially things like imaging and instrument separation.

I don't know if any of this helps but I'd recommend making friends with your dealer... ;)

-C