Bel Canto EVo 200.2...how does it stack up?

acresm22

« on: 10 Nov 2005, 05:10 pm »
I've noticed that these first gen. EVo amps are available on the used market for pretty cheap....$800, give or take. That puts them within striking distance of some of the modded SI and Teac amps out there using the lower powered Tripath chips, and below the cost of current Tripath amps in the 100 watt category.

So my question is this....how does the EVo stack up sonically against the modded 2024-based amps and the Teac modded amps? Considering that the 200.2 came out in 2000-01, have the Tripath chips come a long way since then? The 200.2 got such glowing reviews when it came out, its hard to believe that it has already been far surpassed sonically with the new Tripath amps.

A.

Rocket

« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2005, 11:33 pm »
Hi,

I can't compare them against the modded tripath amplifiers but i can offer an opinion of the bc amps.

A friend has a pair of 200.2 monoblock amps and the sound is very good in my opinion.  The amps are very transparent and if like to hear a pin drop in the background you'll like this amplifier.  

One complaint that i have read and agree with a little bit is that the amps tend to be a little too clinical and lack emotion.  I would certainly give a bc amplifier a try as you should be able to get you money back if you don't like it.

Regards

Rod

claud

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:06 am »
Rocket has them down except he forgot to mention that they are FAST. Quick transients are a feature of this amp. Great detailed bass too. I moved up to the EVo2, and was not as satisfied. Mix with a tubed preamp for best sound.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:10 am »
My experience has been that I love "digital" amps but only when mixed with a good and transparent tube preamp.  YMMV, I have digital amps in my system now without a tube pre but miss the element of emotion the later brings.  I heard the BC integrated at a recent rave and thought it was good even though not my favorite in that system but with a tube pre I might have loved it.  Its hard to say.

Tbadder1

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:57 pm »
I've owned a Bel Cantoo 200.2 and quite frankly miss it.  It was so neutral it was scary, so neutral that it tends to turn people off.  I think just about everyone likes a little bloom (myself included) and went solid state pure class A--never regretted doing that, but every once in awhile I'd like to hear really deeply into a piece of music and no amp I've ever owned could do that like the BC. Now I should never do this, and at the risk of beng stupid and wrong...well...I won't do it...never mind.

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2005, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I heard the BC integrated at a recent rave and thought it was good even though not my favorite in that system but with a tube pre I might have loved it.  Its hard to say.

Hey Josh...I just picked up the new Bel Canto S300 (ICEpower-based amp) and am burning it in with a Blue Circle tubed preamp.  If you want to come by to check it out, give me a shout...

tianguis

Bel Canto ICE
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2005, 04:23 pm »
Phil wrote:
I just picked up the new Bel Canto S300 (ICEpower-based amp) and am burning it in with a Blue Circle tubed preamp.

Phil:

Gotta hear it! My ICE amp has totally changed in character since the RAVE. It only had about 10 hours on it then. Currently driving GMA Europas, which I seem to recall you like.

Larry

PhilNYC

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2005, 04:45 pm »
Larry, maybe we should do a continuation of the digital amp shootout at the December/Holiday Rave?

tianguis

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2005, 05:01 pm »
Phil:

Sounds like a wiener to me, depending on Ravers' wishes and Greg's willingness to accomodate a few more gearheads. :o

Larry

tianguis

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2005, 05:05 pm »
Phil:
       Oops! The DECEMBER Rave. Yup, sounds good.

Larry :oops:

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2005, 05:11 pm »
yeah, I'd have suggested the Rave at Greg's, but given the room and the gear (big room with power-hungry speakers), I think we'll have a better run doing it at my place...

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:16 pm »
By december I might have a nice working UcD amp...  :scratch: