M-Audio Transit questions

lcrim

« on: 9 Nov 2005, 07:57 pm »
I already have a decent DAC and was thinking about using the Transit to get the audio out of an older laptop (w/ a USB connected external HDD).
In this setup I will need to use  a 7-8' USB cable to get a fiber (Toslink) connection to the DAC, is this length a problem?
I was going to try using EAC to rip but for playback I guess that Foobar 2k w/ ASIO avoids the Windows K-Mixer but looks like a huge learning curve all the way around.
For an external HDD, 300 gigs can be done for $150-$200, but should I avoid enclosures w/ fans because of the noise and is IDE fast enough w/ USB 2.0 or is SATA necessary?  8mb buffer or 16?
TIA

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2005, 09:21 pm »
IDE is fast enough.  8 mb is plenty of cache.

There is not a lot of price difference between IDE and SATA right now - maybe a few dollars depending on drive size.

kfr01

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2005, 01:06 am »
lcrim:

The Transit is an excellent product.

A 7-8' USB Cable is fine.

EAC to rip is the way to go.

I use winamp with asio + flac plug-ins.  I have also used foobar 2k.  Both avoid k-mixer if used with asio.  I simply like the interface of winamp better.

Don't despair, setup is relatively easy either way.

IDE is fine.  

Avoid fans if possible.

Hope this helps!

SCUBADON

• http://24SCUBA.COM
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2005, 01:26 am »
Up to 16ft USB is fine.

Foobar 2000 is worth the learning curve!!!!

I use Segate 300GB quiet USB hard drives.  They stack nicely.  

I use the emperical audio usb upramp with a benchmark dac 1.

Upsample to 24/96 if you have a notebook of 1.4 GHZ or better.

This set up outperforms my old wadia 850.

Good luck!

Jon L

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2005, 06:10 am »
Quote from: SCUBADON
Up to 16ft USB is fine.

Foobar 2000 is worth the learning curve!!!!

I use Segate 300GB quiet USB hard drives.  They stack nicely.  

I use the emperical audio usb upramp with a benchmark dac 1.

Upsample to 24/96 if you have a notebook of 1.4 GHZ or better.

This set up outperforms my old wadia 850.

Good luck!

Is that Offramp or Offramp Turbo?  Looks like Steve got rid of the plain "offramp" from his site.  

If you haven't tried battery power for your offramp, it's definitely worth checking out, especially with Benchmark!

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2005, 02:34 pm »
Thanks for all the input.
While researching I found another product, the M-Audio Audiophile USB that has its own power (AC wall-wart) and a DAC w/  RCA outs.  It also has a coax i/o port.  
Since my DAC is the M-Audio Superdac 24/96 this Audiophile USB may use the same Crystal (?) DAC chip (a very nice sounding DAC for the price.)
Does the fact that it is powered (better quality components) lower the jitter rates to the point where it is audible improvement?  Sam Ash is offering it for $119 plus shipping. The Transit may do the basic function of passing the bits from the USB to Toslink well enough not to matter but Steve @ Empirical charges a bundle to improve the basic functionality by modding the Transit.  I think Vinnie offers a similar mod, battery powered, of course.  Not knocking either guy or product but I am trying to get a handle on where the cost  per gain is best for USB audio interface

CSMR

Re: M-Audio Transit questions
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:08 am »
Quote from: lcrim
In this setup I will need to use  a 7-8' USB cable to get a fiber (Toslink) connection to the DAC, is this length a problem?

No
I was going to try using EAC to rip but for playback I guess that Foobar 2k w/ ASIO avoids the Windows K-Mixer but looks like a huge learning curve all the way around.

I think the transit is bit-perfect by itself. When I had it I coudn't get ASIO to work well. If it's bit perfect anyway that doesn't matter of course.
For an external HDD, 300 gigs can be done for $150-$200, but should I avoid enclosures w/ fans because of the noise and is IDE fast enough w/ USB 2.0 or is SATA necessary? 8mb buffer or 16?

Yes avoid the fans. Also try and have any hard discs in a different room. And anything is fast enough for storing music and buffers won't make a difference here.

kfr01

« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2005, 01:52 pm »
I also wonder about this.  How big of a problem is jitter, really, for the Transit?  

Is there any way to test jitter?

It is difficult to make a buying decision regarding one of those Empirical Audio Mods when both the jitter starting point and ending point are mysteries.

tyee

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2005, 06:43 pm »
Can the M-audio Transit, INPUT spdif signals so I can capture to my hard drive?

CSMR

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2005, 03:57 am »
Quote from: tyee
Can the M-audio Transit, INPUT spdif signals so I can capture to my hard drive?

yes

CSMR

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2005, 03:58 am »
Quote from: kfr01
I also wonder about this.  How big of a problem is jitter, really, for the Transit?  

Is there any way to test jitter?

With an oscilloscope

tyee

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:11 am »
CSMR
   Thanks for the reply. I am planning to convert my lasersdisc collection to DVD and want to import the digital audio tracks to my hard drive. A thread on videohelp.com explained how to grab the ac3 and DTS tracks via spdif input. But they say I need a bit perfect capture, meaning no resampling when capturing, so whether the TRANSIT will work is why I was asking. Do you know if the TRANSIT resamples when inputting?

Currently I am digging on avsforum.com for info on soundcards/drivers to do this but if the TRANSIT will work that solves everything for me!

tyee

CSMR

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2005, 08:25 pm »
I don't see why it wouldn't be bit-perfect but I can't say for sure.

Hoots

« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2005, 03:30 pm »
1.  TRANSIT vs Squeezebox - both passing SPDIF to a DAC
*  are these roughly similar in sound?  It seems one poster in "switch to SB3" thinks SB3 sounds better.

2. Denon 2900 vs TRANSIT - both passing SPDIF to a DAC
* similar?  I have the 2900 and don't want to sacrifice sound

3. Mod TRANSIT or DAC?  The EA mods seem great but notable money.  I wonder if I want to spend the extra cash and if the money should be spent there or getting an EA mod to a P3A DAC?

4. I assume ASIO and kernel streaming aren't needed w/TRANSIT and I'm hoping MCE will sound similar to itunes, JRiver and Foobar2000....or are there player sound differences?

5. Is there a benefit to Foobar2000 at 24/96 if I'm using a 24/96 upsample box (P1A)?

EchiDna

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2005, 01:33 am »
I can't answer any of 1-3 as I don't own a transit...

however - there is certainly a vast difference in the sound of software players. Just install a few different ones on your machine for easy comparison... for me foobar wins hands down as it just sounds more natural!

Hoots

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2005, 01:45 am »
I will do some more listening...perhaps at my Dec 4 Jam with a group as well.  I have Foobar, Media Monkey, JRiver, MCE, MM, all loaded.

The following is from the Foobar FAQ:

"Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?
No. Most of "sound quality differences" people "hear" are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). Foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now. "

lcrim

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2005, 03:03 am »
Hoots:
Having a small measure of experience w/ the Transit, Asio needs to be used w/ Foobar in order to get the KMIXER out of the signal path.  If any of the sliders in the Windows sound mixer are still operating during playback, then KMIXER is still in the loop.  The reason that this should be avoided is that there is an upsampling to 48000 Hz from the native 44100 by Windows using algorithms that can destroy the quality of the files which were so carefully ripped.
I do have the opinion that SB3 playback was superior to that I could achieve w/ the Transit and Foobar.  Given the differences in costs and funtionality this shouldn't be surprising.  
Steve Nugent @ Empirical and also Vinnie Rossi @ Red Wine do mods to the Transit which offer significant improvements.  
Whether USB or the ethernet, WiFi format of getting the bit stream from the PC to the playback chain is superior is a central concern.   Which method results in lower jitter figures should be a measurable.
The ability to put the PC remote to the rest of the playback equipment as well as a friendly user interface seems to be an area in which the SB3 is far ahead.
I simply don't understand your criticism regarding cover art especially on a board which is concerned w/ sound.  I hasten to add that everybody is entitled to their opinion.  It would be more telling however if it were an informed opinion.

Hoots

« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2005, 04:44 am »
Thanks for the info.  It's helpful to get feedback from someone who has tried both SB3 and Transit.  

I'm simply sharing my journey and observations and looking for feedback to guide me in this journey....the Medio suggestion for example seems excellent...by sharing my interests and perspectives I get better feedback.

I certainly value sound but other features are desired if possible w/o sacrificing sound quality...I would assume many of us are attracted to PC audio for more than just sound quality...most notably jukeboxing.  Along that same line of thought I have preferences for browsing my library (by album art).

Moving to a SB doesn't take advantage of my HT display and instead uses the SB receiver display which is less desirable for me.  I could run the SB server software on my HTPC w/album art and place the SB receiver next to it in the same room if I really wanted a PC display (adding noise unless I put the PC box in the closet which I may do).

I was hoping I could get the same level of SPDIF from a $100 (slightly higher similar to SB3) soundcard and take advantage of my HTPC & big display.   If TRANSIT or my REVO aren't at the same performance level as SB3 in passing SPDIF then I would consider using SB3 and running the SlimServer sw on my HTPC and using it for album art browsing...I like the browsing layout and flexibility.  

I have been listening to SB3 at my neighbors and reviewing the server software with album art (he scans it which makes full screen look great).  

I will probably put my HTPC in the closet and run a USB cable to my optical drive external as well as my remote/kb eye.  I will also run the video cable through the wall for connection to display.  This will get the PC sound out of my room and allow me to use it's display.   I could then use SB3 receiver as my transport or TRANSIT or a pci sound card.  I could connect any of the options to my P1a and DAC.   The SlimServer sw would then be used just like any other media player software plus I could use theh SB3 receiver remote.  

It's looking like I have several solutions:  

Players: JRiver, Medio w/Foobar (next for me to try), SlimServer
PC Transports using PCI sound card, USB sound card, or SLimServer receiver over LAN.