finished sub/pr, here's pics

chris3377

« on: 9 Nov 2005, 12:17 am »
Since I still can't seem to get the pics to post, here's the link where they are. There are the pics of the AV-3's and sub together, as well as a pic or two of the construction. The pics show triangular trim on the top, I removed them and with with a flat top later. Let me know what you think.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chrislibra74/album?.dir=1fa1&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

rbrb

« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2005, 12:36 am »
I really like the two tone effect that you did.  What type of paint/finish did you use?

Danny Richie

Sub
« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2005, 01:00 am »
That sub looks really cool!

Bill A

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2005, 04:12 pm »
Kinda reminds me of Art Nouveau style furniture.  Nice job Chris!

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2005, 06:43 pm »
A cool combination of colour, and "outset" panels - I like the raised panels on each of the corners, and the black and gray is a great contrast.

Great job!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2005, 07:20 pm »
Art Deco lives!  Very unique, Chris!

wje

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2005, 08:11 pm »
How do they sound when compared to your older B&W speakers in the background?

BTW, great paint combination on those speakers and sub. :)

chris3377

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2005, 02:28 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm glad to see some people like it. I used automotive paint, gloss black and metallic silver. They are far from perfect since I don't have a paint booth, but you can't really tell in the pics. I think they turned out pretty good for my needs though, but I don't feel they are something worthy of selling until I find a way to get the paint to be perfectly smooth and shiny. I went with paint though my first choice was to do a 2-tone wood veneer, with a light burl as one of the finishes, but I couldn't think of the other color that would look good.
  I think they sound great compared to my B&W's, I just have to turn up the volume some since they don't play as loud. I had my friend come over to do a test on him, and he could barely tell the difference either, he thinks they are a little brighter than the B&W, but that's all. And since they only cost about 200 or so to build compared to the 1800 a pair for the B&W I think they are awesome. But I must confess, I only paid 400 for them since I got them on discount at the stereo shop I was volunteering at.
The sub is the exact plans listed, all I did was add raised legs and spikes. I forgot to add in the space for the amp, so now I am making a seperate box that will hold both amps, one for the sub and one for the bass shakers that will go into the seat riser.

chip

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2005, 05:23 pm »
Very nice and match the fronts well. I have my dual GRs done but still have not decided on a finish yet. Plus I have to sand them down for a smooth surface yet as well. Just enjoying them at the moment until I get some time to finish them.