Jarhead

ehider

Jarhead
« on: 8 Nov 2005, 10:07 pm »
Hmmm,

Where do I begin? Fairly well acted, excellent screen shots, very good editing and location shoots. Decent charactar selections and music interlays also. And definately an A++ promo trailer! What else could I ask for?

At first glance this movie seems to meet the "it's a movie worth watching" checklist. Somehow though, doesn't really satisfy as an A level movie. I've asked around to see if some of my other "snob movie" friends also felt the same as I did. To my surprise many did! It seems as if this movie doesn't really wrap itself up very well AND/OR that it had more potential that was somehow missed with a more cohesive script AND/OR something needed to be added?. Personally, I'm wondering if some of the depth of the movie's original filming was left on the cutting room floor. If not, then Jarhead it isn't nearly as deep  as it portends to be IMHO. So in the end I can only give this movie a strong C+. I wanted to like it soooo much better, but it's moments and strong scenes are already fading from my memory... into the abyss....never to be pondered or thought about again. What was this movie's title?

JoshK

Jarhead
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2005, 10:31 pm »
FWIW, the WSJ gave it pretty low marks.

suits_me

Jarhead
« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2005, 03:54 am »
A lot of the end loser and critic reviews I've seen at yahoo and imdb seem to agree it winds up going nowhere slowly. But I will add it appears to be the covertly gayest film since "Fight Club".

ctviggen

Jarhead
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2005, 11:57 am »
You mean "gayest" as in "happiest" or "gayest" as in "homosexual"?  If the latter, I'm surprised.  I've not seen Fight Club, buy my friend who tends to be homophobic loved that movie.  Perhaps he didn't see what you see?

jakepunk

Jarhead
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2005, 05:00 am »
This move will probably mean more to people who have been in the marines (I have not).  The screenplay is based upon a memoir of a marine sniper.  This movie isn't like Rambo or Full Metal Jacket.  It is not a movie about "blood and guts" but more about the main character's experiences as a soldier.  It shows the boredom of the common soldier and the ways he copes with it.

The movie doesn't fall into the cliché of other war movies by typecasting the band of soldiers into stereotypical demographics (the Sly Southerner, the Black Guy, The Clean-cut Midwestern Football Player, etc).  They are just a bunch of normal guys.

Jamie Foxx does a great job as the sergeant.  I didn't expect him to do such a good job, but he was very convincing and funny.

My major complaint is that the trailer gave away a lot of the jokes in the film.  Humor is a major part of the film because it is one way for the soldiers to cope with their situation.  Putting a lot of the jokes in the trailer takes away their impact when you watch the film.

sts9fan

Jarhead
« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2005, 03:35 pm »
This movie isn't like Rambo or Full Metal Jacket. It is not a movie about "blood and guts" but more about the main character's experiences as a soldier.

Have you ever seen "Full Metal Jacket"? Do you really think it is a "Bood and Guts" movie? That movie is a classic and made by one of the greatest film makers of all time to boot! :nono:

jakepunk

Jarhead
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2005, 04:18 pm »
Don't wag your finger at me.  I have FMJ on DVD.  You must have forgotten the part where Pvt. Pyle splatters his brains all over the latrene walls.  Or the entire second half of the movie during combat?  My point is that Jarhead is not that kind of movie.

I am happy to debate the merits of movies and directors in a public forum, but personal attacks are unwarranted.

sts9fan

Jarhead
« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2005, 04:32 pm »
please point to the presonal attack and I will apologize

ctviggen

Jarhead
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2005, 05:39 pm »
I thought the attitude of "it's made by one of the greatest movie makers of all time" was uncalled for.  And isn't it a blood and guts movie?

sts9fan

Jarhead
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2005, 05:48 pm »
Do you dispute my claim of stanley kubrick being one of the best film makers of all time? If all you see is blood and guts I would stick to rambo.

PhilNYC

Jarhead
« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2005, 09:51 pm »
Quote from: sts9fan
If all you see is blood and guts I would stick to rambo.

I have to admit that it is odd to lump Rambo and FMJ into the same category.  FMJ and First Blood, maybe...but Rambo was pure popcorn...

suits_me

Jarhead
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2005, 11:14 pm »
I thought it was much better than the reviews led me to expect but I'll skip why for this forum except to say I though there was a clear narrative arc. I don't agree the movie was aimless or lost its way.

I'd hate to frighten the horses too much, but men dancing nude for one another or simulating intercourse with one another could maybe be considered to have homosexual overtones. In addition, the hyper-masculine Marines have a certain...reputation in the gay community, and let's leave it at that (bunch of bottoms.)

As for "Fight Club" most even minimally Freudian inclined observers would allow for a homosexual component in half dressed men punching each other into submission. If you're a serious fan of movies and criticism you could try to check out Robin Wood's work on "Raging Bull".

Of course, we're not talking about openly gay phenomena here. It's more about the sublimated variety. HTH.

ABEX

Jarhead
« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2005, 08:01 pm »
Being a Former Marine most movies about the corps really do not take you there,but I thought FMJ's portrayal of boot were spot on! Of what I understand it  is a lot different today.

The best fighter pilot I ever knew was a technical advisor on the "The Great Santini" and I saw Bob Duval while on PI. I also know people that had worked with him on other projects.A real professional at his craft. That was an ok movie.

Blackhawk Down was one of the best war movies I know of and I had meet the one of the parents who's son won the MOH there. Sad story and I can hardly bring myself to watch war pics anymore,but I will still watch Jarhead to see how it came out.

It is hard to give an actual portrayal of what war is like. Most would never glorify war again or want to serve if it could really be portrayed I think.

Randy

Jarhead
« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2005, 12:29 am »
I served as a Marine in Viet Nam and have difficulty watching war movies, in fact I don't watch them at all.  I had to walk out on "The Deer Hunter."  

An accurate depiction of Marine boot camp, at least as it was in my day, was in a film called "Tribes" with Darrin McGavin as the DI.  Haven't seen it in years.  There was one on Marine Corps boot camp way back in the early 50's with Jack Webb as a DI, but I don't think I've ever seen it.

I watched the boot camp sequences in FMJ and also found them pretty much like reality, but skipped the Nam part.  A never ending source of curiosity, it seems, for movie makers, Marine Corps bootcamp.

I got my first pair of "high end" speakers or what passed for them in those days at a PX near Da Nang.  They were Sanui.  Toted them over to my hootch on my back in 100 plus degree weather.  Never opened them over there but immediately had them shipped home where they were waiting for me, along with a Sansui receiver, when I got home.  The receiver is still in my garage, but I left the speakers on one of my moves twenty years ago.  A trip down memory lane.

Randy

Jarhead
« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2005, 03:39 am »
Was that Ermy guy ever actually a DI?  He was pretty convincing in FMJ.  I spent a full year  in Viet Nam, saw some combat, but when I dream about my days in the Corps, the subject is boot camp as often as not.  Leaves an everlasting impression on your psyche.  One recurring dream is that I've been drafted again, yes, I was a draftee, so I carefully explain to whoever that I've already done my stint in the Corps but am told, "Too bad, you have to do it again."  I shrugg my shoulders and say okay, but then find myself squatting in a jungle almost immediately.  At least it doesn't seem much like MCRD San Diego. so I tell myself boot camp went pretty quickly this time.  LOL.

Speaking of gays and the Corps.  I suspected that one of our DIs was gay.  He used to stand in the doorway of the shower building and just stare at everyone.  It was weird, but I never mentioned my suspicions to anyone, and if he was gay, being the live and let live type of guy I am, it didn't matter to me one way or the other.  But it's such a cliche in the flicks now, the big macho guy who turns out to be a closet gay.  Ridiculous example is the neighbor dad in "American Beauty."  I could see that coming fifteen minutes into the film.

Yes, those early solid state Japanese receivers were popular in those days, Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui were the big names.  I'm not sure where Sony was then.  Big open reel tape decks were being ordered by some guys, Roberts/Teac were popular.  Cassettes were just getting started.  Those were the days.  (Not!)

jakepunk

Jarhead
« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2005, 04:46 am »
Yes, Lee Ermey was a DI.

ABEX

Jarhead
« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2005, 02:57 pm »
I am glad I did not have that DI looking in the showers,but  did see one interesting thing on Parris Is..

When I first got to PI I had a Hernia which happened the very first week I was there. I could have opted out,but thought,hey I came here to becme a Marine not to back out.

So wfter going through a bunch of BS and going back to start my training they sent me to this reassignment barracks at 3rd Bat.. There I walk in and this small Pigmy Like Black guy is loooking me up and down smiling .

After having him staring me down I look up at the DI ,who was seated on this judicial bench thing and ask "Sir,what's with this recruit?" and he tells me "He has problems ,don't worry about him."

Well turns out this guy was recruited in NYC and use to be a gay go-go dancer in the village. I come from NYC originally. This guy they fucked with for like 4mos. before finally releasing him.

They gave hiim his own bunk on the opposite side ,all the way at the end of the squadbay and there was no one that slept on his side of the bay.

I guess the recruiters in NYC did it as a joke.

That poor bastard they put through hell.

I wish I had had a better boot experience,but I was the lead witness against  my DI's after a recruit had been hit. He wrote home  and there  was a congressional investigation.

In the end the blamed me for the incident for not telling my Senior DI ,but we all got hit and this bastard was a whimp. Took me a long time to get over that.

Capt.Harrington who was featuredd in Life Mag and recieved the Navy X at the battle of Hue was the judicial officer who blamed me. He wanted the stripe I earned ,but my senior told him if he wanted it he'd personally have to take it from me.

What an ordeal.They threatened me with Levenworth if I did not tell them what I knew and if the truth came out that I knew everything. I was not about to trust these idiot recruits because I knew one woud open their mouths and I'd  get screwed. I got screwed anyway.

Ruined me for quite some time.