For those who like to cook...

ctviggen

« on: 8 Nov 2005, 01:34 am »
I was given a copy of Cook's Illustrated:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/

This magazine is amazing, if you like the "scientific" method of cooking.  For a single recipe, for instance, they'll tell you all the different things they tried and what didn't work out.  If you're a "get to the punchline" type of person, however, you won't like this technique.  For me, it's great -- it's like an entire magazine written by Alton Brown.  I've only tried one of the recipes, a Mexican version of chocolate butter cookies where you put cinnamon, slivered almonds, and cayenne pepper, heated then ground, into chocolate butter cookies made with dutch-process cocoa and espresso powder.  We also put a chocolate glaze of Valrhona chocolate on top and then put some white chocolate drizzle (both of which were recommended by the magazine) to add some eye pleasing texture.  Oustanding!  Very complex, with multiple layers of flavors -- Akin to a good Scotch.  

They also review products (and they accept no advertising) and have helpful tidbits.

Anyway, if you like to cook and desire a magazine having a more scientific approach to cooking, this is the magazine for you.

gonefishin

« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2005, 03:18 am »
Don't forget to set the DVR to record America's Test Kitchen as well.

Gordy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2005, 03:26 am »
An excellent magazine, I subscribed starting with the second issue, before switching over to the yearly editions.  I've some old back issues should anyone care to check out a copy...

spudco

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2005, 01:18 pm »
You should also look at the books their editors publish.  They really are "The Best Recipe".  Also a freat introduction into the science behind cooking.

Andrikos

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2005, 08:38 pm »
Great mag.
I made the "restaurant style' burgers and steak cut fries and they were mindblowing!
Cooking the burgers on mesquite didn't hurt either... :D

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2005, 08:51 pm »
Two thumbs up for The Best Recipe (also their Italian Classics), the magazine, and their American Test Kitchen's TV show!  If you have questions or problems with any of their recipes, they have a good message board at www.cooksillustrated.com.  Click on Chat at the top for the message board.

The Best Recipe taught me how to cook white rice.  Sounds silly, but now it's a dish worth eating, rather than a gummy, bland mess.  Italian Classics taught me a fantastic pasta fagioli (pasta fazool) soup.  There are more, but these are my faves.

Good quality ingredients are a key part of cooking.  Kind of like the source in an audio system.  For the pasta fazool, that means good olive oil, good chicken stock (canned stock from the natural market beats Swansons by a mile if you don't have fresh), Muir Glen Organic canned tomatoes if you can get them, and herbs that are not old and tasteless.

Soundbitten

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2005, 08:18 pm »
I've been getting the mag for 2 years now and it's great . Have tried nearly every recipe and they have all very successful . They combine the easiest and fastest methods with the best . They also explain why a certain procedure works... like brining .  The desserts and cookies have been fabulous too . Last night I did the stir fried pork w/ eggplant....yum.