Ping Scott F...

gonefishin

Ping Scott F...
« on: 31 Oct 2005, 02:24 am »
Hi Scott...Gateway guys ;)

I was wondering if I could get some advice.  Ummm...soon :oops:

I've finally got a Chicago Horn Club meeting this next weekend.  I've been working on some room treatments and have been pretty busy.  

So I go downstairs to take a listen to my system and relax a bit.  FLASH :o   One of my cv378 Mullards...with only a week to get a replacement.  

Right now...my original Cary CAD-300se mono's (with only one 6sl7, one 300B, one CV378 in each) only pull tweeter duty in my tri-amped deqx-p system.  (if I'm correct) You've got a good amount of experience with different rectifier tubes.  

To cut down me doing some homework...and searching out which tube to get...do you have any recommendations?  I'm going to order something tomorrow...Would you go with anything other than the cv378's again?

thanks,

dan

Scott F.

Ping Scott F...
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2005, 03:05 am »
Well, my favorite CV378 variant is the Mullard GZ34/5AR4. RCA relabeled the mullards back in teh 60's. It's by far the smoothest I've found. These things come at one heck of a price though. I've seen $90 on ePay. Kevin at Upscale might cut you a deal, maybe.

The Sovteks and Svetlanas will work in a pinch but they are pretty hard sounding, especially in horns.

After the Mullard there are two that sound almost as smooth. The first is the Raytheon 5U4GB. It has the twin top (side) getters. The base is the black plastic. The next one is the Hewlett Packard 5R4GYA, brown base. Both of these have fairly nice sound. I haven't tried to find these on eBay but I've not heard many people talk about them so they may be a sleeper.

If all else fails, try this.... Get yourself the Sovtek 5U4G in the ST bottle. Drop them in your deep freeze until Friday night (assuming you have a deep freeze rather than just the freezer on teh side of your fridge). leave them in there until late Friday night then take them out and let them thaw until morning and they'll be ready to use.

This is essentially the 'poor mans cyro'. Granted, 0 deg F is no where near  -380 (or what ever it is) of liquid nitrogen but what you are doing is providing (some) stress relief to the plates and filament wires. It would be best if you had a full week if not two to do this.

I know some of the guys here poo-poo'ed an errant poster about this a while back but it works. I've known about it for several years in fact I just this week popped a pair of Chinese 300Bs out of the deep freeze for my DRDs. Before they went in, they were a bit hard and etched sounding. Now, they have smoothed out quite a bit. They still have the same amount of detail, nice smooth highs, etc but that course sound is now gone. I did some driver tubes too but I haven't popped them in yet.

If you don't have a deep freeze, get a cooler and some dry ice, that works too. Just be sure add more ice every couple of days.

gonefishin

Ping Scott F...
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2005, 08:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  

Who would have figured that my rectifier would decide to leave me days before the audio gathering at my house.  UGH!

I went ahead and just bought the GZ34's from Upscale.  Their expensive...but I know they'll last a long time.  I'm also hoping that they come in a good matching pair.  I would hope that the premium takes this in.

I could remember ordering driver tubes (6sl7's) and requested that I get a matching pair.  Well...their idea of a matching pair was that the name Sylvania was on both tubes.  Forget about the tube construction :roll:

Thanks again for the advice...

dan

Scott F.

Ping Scott F...
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2005, 12:13 am »
Your going to really like those GZ34s. I know a lot of guys cant see spending the extra bucks on premium tubes, but I feel they are worth it if you can spare the extra bucks.

Glad I could be of help  :D (oh, and sorry about your pocketbook)