wiring a potentiometer

jesserparker

wiring a potentiometer
« on: 23 Apr 2003, 10:45 pm »
ok, dumb question:  i have a potentiometer here, and don't know how to wire it.  is there any way other than trial and error to determine the correct way to wire it WITHOUT a multimeter.

JohnR

wiring a potentiometer
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2003, 11:25 pm »
It depends on the construction. If it's a carbon track pot with three tabs you can probably get it right the first time from the physical construction. I will leave that as an exercise for the reader :-)

JoshK

wiring a potentiometer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2003, 12:11 am »
Quote from: JohnR
I will leave that as an exercise for the reader :-)

Ahh...there is that Berkeley theory that I have come to love!

jesserparker

wiring a potentiometer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2003, 12:46 am »
well, as you might have it, it is a carbon track pot with three tabs, soooo......   do tell about the pysical construction.

JohnR

wiring a potentiometer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2003, 12:56 am »
The way it works is that there is a resistive track, and a wiper that you move along the track by rotating the knob. The wiper is the center tab, the other two tabs are either end of the track.

When the wiper is located at one end of the track (the knob is turned all the way one way), the resistance between the wiper and that end is zero. Conversely for the other end.

I have to go get organized for my sister's wedding now (seriously!).... have a go and see whether you get it :-) See you in about four days.

mgalusha

wiring a potentiometer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2003, 03:07 am »
In case you don't want to wait 4 days for John. :)

If you look at the pot with the shaft facing you, the tab on the right is usually connected to ground, the center is connected to the circuit input and the tab on the left is the signal input.

This is not always the case but often is.

Mike