Component video switching box

PhilNYC

« on: 28 Oct 2005, 08:38 pm »
Anyone have any experiences with dedicated component video switching boxes?

I've got an AV receiver (Denon 3801) but feel like its a bit of a waste since I am only running two channels.  Ideally, I'd like to see a 2-channel pre-pro with multimple component video ins which I could hook up to a good 2-channel power amp.  But in the absence of something like that, the other alternative is to get a preamp/amp or integrated and a video switcher.  At the moment, all of my video sources can output component video.

I found this via a Google search:

https://www.audioauthority.com/index.php?p=productMore&iProduct=3

Anyone have experience with this or any other component video swtich box?  Will I be able to get good picture quality with it?  (at least as good as my Denon 3801)?

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2005, 08:42 pm »
Go with the Zektor, you won't be sorry, it is a great box.  I recommend the HDS4.2 (I have the 4.1, but should have opted for the 4.2).

By the way, I also owned the Audio Authority and didn't really like it, I hated the auto switching and much prefer a remote controlled switching device.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2005, 08:45 pm »
Poke around on Copperbox.com....they are a great vendor and have both options available.

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2005, 08:47 pm »
Thanks Josh.  The Zektor looks pretty nice.

Another one I found is the Inday (http://www.inday.com).  This one only has video switching (which is good, since I won't need audio switching).  Any experience with that?

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2005, 08:51 pm »
Looks alright.  I seem to remember positive comments about it when I was researching video switches.  I like the looks (yeah silly) of the zektor better personally, and I do like the option of chaning my optical only output from my DVR into coax (needed for my DEQX) built right in.  

I did a little listening test of the digital going through the zektor versus not into my DEQX and I can't say I heard much of a difference, which speaks highly of their method.  The video is also untouched as far as I can tell.

PhilNYC

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2005, 01:02 am »
Josh...thanks, I just ordered the Zektor HDS4.2.  Didn't really need the second video out, but the folks at Zektor said that the digital audio circuitry was better on the 4.2 (I actually figured out that the audio switching will be useful...I will be running all the audio thru a Bel Canto DAC)...