Best value mods for Cornet II. Newbie needs some direction!

robertwstephens

Hello!  I just ordered the Cornet II half kit and am seeking out some parts to build my kit.  I am looking for the best value mods that are clearly audible besides the tubes.  I would be curious to hear from someone who built the "stock" kit and then modified it.  I know you can spend a fortune on caps and resistors, but I want to make sure I am not throwing money into mods that offer little difference in the overall sound.  Any input would be appreciated.  Are the Auricaps and Riken ohms worth the extra money?  Are there upgrades that don't cost quite as much, but still improve the sound?  I have already scanned through a number of previous posts.  Peace.  Robert

SHIF

robertwstephens

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2005, 12:32 pm »
Does anyone know the actulal referenced alpha-numerical locations of these on the cornet II?

2)  Output coupling cap
4)  Coupling cap between stages
6)  EQ caps
7)  Plate resistors    
8-  Electrolytic & bypass caps
9)  Cathode resistors
10) EQ resistors

Also still looking for feedback on upgrades that gave the most bang for the buck besides the tubes.  Peace.  Robert

GRD

« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2005, 07:53 pm »
I'll give it a try:

2) Output coupling cap  - C208
4) Coupling cap between stages - C203
6) EQ caps - C202, 204
7) Plate resistors R202, 209
8- Electrolytic & bypass caps C207, 201; C200, 206 (bypass)
9) Cathode resistors R203, R210
10) EQ resistors R202, 204, 213

Good luck.

robertwstephens

« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2005, 04:07 am »
Thanks for taking the time to post the locations!  The link below is a web article claiming there is no audible difference between capacitors.  I am still looking for feedback on whether the Auricaps and Riken ohm resistors are worth paying 10 times as much for.  I guess I want to know if anybody added them and heard a real difference or not.  Peace.  Robert

http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p5.htm#Audiophile%20Capacitors

Eric H

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2005, 07:00 am »
Hi Robert,

I built my cornet2 (and clarinet) stock, then months later I upgraded the coupling caps to Jupiters - long after the system was burned in and I had listened many, many hours.    They were a nice improvement, but fairly sublime and probabably only noticeable to somebody (me!!!) who really knows the sound of the system in question.  (The most noticeable difference to me was more clarity/purity in tone, such as unmuted jazz trumpet, or accuracy of piano tones)

Anyway...  I would say the value of those upgrades depends on the rest of your system - especially the front end.  To some degree on your listening tastes, too...  what table/arm/cartridge are you running?  You might be better off spending your money there or elsewhere...

Fwiw...  my system these days is (Shure V15VxmR/Rega Rb250/Thorens TD-160)/Cornet2/Clarinet/HK Citation V plus Kenwood 777 speakers  :roll:  I'd describe it as an accurate-sounding, medium budget, vintage/DIY all-tube system...  hope this helps,

Eric

robertwstephens

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2005, 12:59 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to reply!  Maybe I will upgrade the coupling caps and build the rest with stock parts.  I have a fairly new Grado platinum reference cartridge that is finally sounding good after about 50 hours.  I look forward to adding step up transformers in the future to the cornetII and going low output mc someday.  Peace.  Robert

GRD

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2005, 03:36 pm »
Robert,

I've done cap upgrades to all the caps and added Rikens in the signal path.  I agree with Eric's description of the sound improvment with a cap upgrade - subtle change but clearer, cleaner sound.   I think the effect with the Riken's was less apparent.  So my (personal) recommendation for someone looking for the best ROI would be to upgrade the output caps. Second would be to upgrade the coupling cap as the value is small and therefore the cost is reasonable.   Cap preferences are personal, but Auricaps seem to be good value and well liked.  If you haven't been there aleady, search audioasylum and you will find lots of discussion on caps (and other components).  

Grant

robertwstephens

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:37 am »
Thanks for the reply!  It sounds like I will get some Auricaps and skip the $4 resistors.  Peace.  Robert

SHIF

TUBES
« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2005, 02:16 am »
Tubes are the best place to put your upgrade bucks.  Before you dump loads of cash on NOS valves however, you ought to buy some new production Sovtek 12AX7LPS for $21 per matched and tested pair.  These really rock!  I wish I had discovered them earlier.  Of course they need some play time to settle down, 25 to 50 hours.  I love these tubes!

I'm using a vintage Telefunken in the AU7 position and a Raytheon rectifier.  I bought a bunch of various 5Y3 tubes since they are relatively cheap.  One turned out to be sonically superior, all the rest sounded the same, rather dull.  I'd like to try a Bendix 6106 if I could find one.

My favorite glassware vendor:
http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/tubes.htm

Eric H

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2005, 04:53 am »
I agree w/Jim McShane for tubes - he's my first source, too.  I've done his complete rebuild on my Cit V and had numerous other dealings with him with complete satisfaction every single time.  Same satisfaction from our host here, too...

As for the Sovetek 12AX7LPS I guess I'm in the minority on them... the pair I got really didn't do anything for me.  Maybe I should put them back in and try them some more...  I have about 40 12ax7's, mostly older, and I'm using Telefunken ribbed plates these days.  Of course it's hard to get these for $21/pair...  I also use old 5AR4/GZ34's instead of the 5Y3's in both my cornet2 and clarinet.  They up the voltages a bit to what's on Jim's schematics  (don't use 5U4's).  As for 12au7's I don't think I've settled on anything...  not sure how much difference they make, either...

Anyway...  back to the point - I agree with the advice here - a coupling/output cap upgrade is nice but resistors are questionable - but do match the resistors that you use as closely as possible.

I'm curious - what's the rest of your system?  The whole is more than the sum of its parts...   :D

robertwstephens

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2005, 05:37 am »
I am definately on a budget for hi-fi.  I have the following:

Music Hall MMF-5 with Grado Platinum reference cartridge
Harmon Kardon HK3480 120WPC stereo amp
Infinity Alpha towers with Bybee's with matching 500w sub
Music Hall CD25 with brown dog op amps
DIY power cords made by a friend of a friend that really do seem to have made a difference. I am not sure how or why!

Looking forward to adding the Cornet II.  At home I listen to vinyl most of the time.  Always looking for a way to tweak the sound and stay married.  Thanks for the input.  I already bought some JJ tubes and plan on experimenting.  I still need to pick up a 5Y3GT. Peace.  Robert

BillEpstein

Funny thing about Caps and Resistors
« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2005, 11:54 pm »
Most of my listening at tweaks is in regard to crossovers. While I can tell the difference between cement resistors and Mills in an attenuation circuit comparing Rikens or Caddocks to Xicons, fro example in an SET amp yielded no difference. Rikens look really good tho'.
Caps have very distinct sounds in crossovers and amps, IMHO. Solens as a baseline make Clarity more detailed but a bit edgy and Auricaps keep most of the detail with a softer treble. AN aluminum yield even more detail and "air". I may get a paper route so I can afford the AN copper. My current favorite crossover cap are Kimber which I suspect are OEM Wonder caps(?). More transparent than others, whatever that means.
The RCA's are important, too. I use Vampire 808 which have no tin except what's alloyed in the brass. Moreover, they take the abuse I give them with  swapping and re-building and are easy to make a solid solder connection. Have you seen those Cardas RCA's with the round disc for ground? Ya need a blowtorch!
Percy has an 18 ga. copper solid core in black or red teflon I really like. great flex and a good size for even 9 pin sockets.
I dropped off the 14 ga. brass top and rear plates for my Cornet at the polisher today. Ready Friday. Could be listening this weekend!

robertwstephens

« Reply #13 on: 1 Nov 2005, 03:13 am »
Thanks for the info Bill!  I will look into the Vampires.  Peace.  Robert