Yet ANOTHER Cornet II assembly question...

DeadFish

« on: 27 Oct 2005, 03:34 am »
When ordering the parts for this thing, I decided that beyond the Auricap upgrade, that I would order the upgraded RCA connectors suggested in the manual.
What I haven't found in countless searches of this forum, is suggestions on what kind of wire to attach between the RCAs and the board.
I assume that on the board, 'left is left, right is right and the center hole is a common neutral'. Correct?
Would I be wasting time using perhaps the wire tailings removed from the Auricaps, or would that be too big?  Would teflon coated wires from plenum-rated Cat5 be too small?
What kind of wire would Goldilocks find to be 'just right' without ordering something esoteric from East-Jesus and waiting to finish this puppy up?
Enquiring minds needs to know!  :wink:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards,
DeadFish

Yoda

« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2005, 04:18 pm »
I used short Cat5 twisted pair sections.  Figured it was cheap, short and close in composition to the copper traces on the board, but the clippings from the Auricap may also be a good option.  You'll have to tin them first.  
L and R and ground--I went to mouser and looked up the specified part datasheet to see how it was arranged and plugged into the board to coordinate the upgraded RCA jacks.

Matt

GRD

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2005, 05:00 pm »
For my original version Cornet, I used the Cat 5 wire (24 gauge copper).  I tried some 24 gauge silver wire, but never heard a difference.

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:26 pm »
I've used CAT5 wire for analugue outputs before on other components and found it was just OK. I've used a very thin silver Kynar wire lon my last project that a friend gave me to try out. I found it provides a much better soundstage with better transparency.

Sometime's it's just what you have lying around at the time. But if you need to buy it anyway I'd suggest looking for better wire than CAT5. Michael Percy has some that he can cut to length and send to you in a regular envelope for little cost.

Enjoy,
Bob