Clari-T with High Impedence Loads

JDUBS

« on: 26 Oct 2005, 03:59 am »
Vinnie

How well does the Clari-T handle higher impedence loads?

I'm picking up a pair of Oris 150 horns this weekend and they have the AER MD-3 drivers....which I believe represent a 12-ohm load (and 109 db / 1 watt efficiency!).

Would love to buy one of your amps to accompany these guys!  :mrgreen:

-Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Clari-T with High Impedence Loads
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2005, 11:25 am »
Quote from: JDUBS
Vinnie

How well does the Clari-T handle higher impedence loads?

I'm picking up a pair of Oris 150 horns this weekend and they have the AER MD-3 drivers....which I believe represent a 12-ohm load (and 109 db / 1 watt efficiency!).

Would love to buy one of your amps to accompany these guys!  :mrgreen:

-Jim

Hi JDUBS,

From the feedback I have received from customers with higher impedance speakers (Zu speakers, Lowthers, etc), the Clari-T works very well with them.  You can also experiment with installing a resistor across the + and - terminals of each speaker to present the Clari-T with a lower impedance load.  For example, a 15-ohm resistor in parallel with your 12-ohm (nominal) speaker will make the amp see a load approx 6-ohm.  Yes, some power is wasted in the resistor, but wow...109dB speakers!  The Clari-T will be a total muscle amp for them!  :mrgreen:

You'll never know until you give it a try.  Feel free to contact me if I can provide additional information.

Thanks,

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2005, 02:33 pm »
The Zu Druids are a 101 db speaker at 12 ohms and they did fantastic with the Clari-T.

109?!  Good luck with the volume control!

JDUBS

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2005, 04:12 am »
Excellent!  Just what I suspected (and quite frankly, wanted to hear  :D )

Yes, volume control will be an issue....don't quite have that worked out yet.

Another thing...the Oris's cover from ~150hz on up.  I have some bass cabinets (Oris Reference Bass Cabinets) which handle the lower octaves.  The bass cabinets are ~100 db / 1 watt efficient and represent an 8 ohm load.  Would be awesome if I could run these both off the same Clari-T (somewhere >100 db efficient on a combined basis with impedence <12 ohms).  

Thanks again, guys!

-Jim

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2005, 08:57 am »
Or, you can use two Clari-Ts to vertical bi-amp the speakers.  Ask Vinnie to adjust the gain so that you don't have to watch the volume control too closely.