SE9 with preamp

yeldarb

SE9 with preamp
« on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:59 am »
After using my SE9 as an amplifier with a couple different preamps, I note that there seems to be more detail and punch, especially in the bass, with an active line level stage (and phono is sweet).
I know that this little wonder is considered to have a passive pre, in that it only has a pot to block signal to the amp.  Are there any significant changes to be had by using different input cables?

sas

SE9 with preamp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2005, 01:28 pm »
I don't have an SE9, but understand what you are saying. Have you thought about opening up the inside and somehow put in new wires that take the pot and input selector out of the signal path -- in other words turning the SE9 into a power amp in a purer sense?

yeldarb

SE9 with preamp
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2005, 03:49 pm »
There is an improvement in bass quality when the Norh is used as an amp with the pot wide open.  In this condition, I assume that there is no resistance from the pot and that it is effectively "out of the way".  I would like to continue to use the amp without a preamp but what I really want to know is if it is possible to get audible improvement by changing interconnects.  If it is can someone point me in the right direction, as far as interconnects that may help.  Obviously, there are benefits to an active preamp in the system.  I just want to get as close as possible without it.

Marbles

SE9 with preamp
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2005, 03:54 pm »
IMO, you would be better off with a source that has more output than your current one.

Most CD players have 2.0 v of output.  If you could find one with higher output, it would drive the Passive stage and thus the amp stage better...which is what the external pre is doing for you....

I doubt IC's would matter as much at this point.

The problem you have is the passive pre is not driving the amp stage as effectively as you want it to.  Putting a bandaid on another spot won't solve that.

yeldarb

SE9 with preamp
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2005, 05:01 pm »
You are probably correct.  I seem to remember some chat about whether or not an Ack! dac would work well with passive pre-amps.  Dang it!