Batman Begins

Digi-G

Batman Begins
« on: 24 Oct 2005, 08:39 pm »
Has anyone seen Batman Begins yet?  (no spoilers here)

I saw it over the weekend and was actually quite impressed.  I had seen the other Batman movies but was never very impressed.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a Tim Burton fan, though.

The story was quite interesting and the casting was excellent.  Granted, this might be more of a drama than an action flick, but it's good drama.  And I think there's enough action for most people.

Anyway, highly recommended.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Batman Begins
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2005, 09:19 pm »
Quote from: Digi-G
Has anyone seen Batman Begins yet?  (no spoilers here)

I saw it over the weekend and was actually quite impressed.  I had seen the other Batman movies but was never very impressed.  I'll be the first to admit that I'm not much of a Tim Burton fan, though.

The story was quite interesting and the casting was excellent.  Granted, this might be more of a drama than an action flick, but it's good drama.  And I think there's enough action for most people.

Anyway, highly recommended.

Agreed!!   :thumb:

I felt it was the best Batman movie and that there was good character development.  Although there are a good number of fight and action scenes, it certainly isn't your typical brain dead action movie.

I don't think it was a huge success in the theaters, but it did get some good reviews.  Here is one from Roger Ebert:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050613/REVIEWS/50525003/1023

George

Folsom

Batman Begins
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2005, 09:19 pm »
I like how they explained all of the Phenominons that Batman is know for, like just leaping over ten flights of fire stairs to the ground.

The background information was awsome, however they should of thrown in a little bit more emotion for Bruce, he was awfully, hm.... dull? It was not bad but it was odd, he had no charm I guess you could say perhaps, if you where to put a finger on it.

The one thing it REALLY lacked was no super villan, honestly, what was with that? I enjoyed the movie but Batman always has a super villan to fight.

I would recommend seeing it, I would not recommend owning it.

DeadFish

Batman Begins
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2005, 09:58 pm »
First, I haven't seen the movie.
Second, learned to read with circa 1940's comics of my old man's.
To a certain degree, I always took Bruce Wayne/Batman as dark, brooding, and having a certain lack of personality developement, such as what might happen to a man when he saw his own parents killed at a young age.
A lot of early Batman stuff had him fighting over-achiever criminals and nazis, but rarely a villain one could call 'super'.

I imagine a lot of the film-makers drew from the roots of the story, and didn't necessarilly draw on new comics, the films already done, or the Adam West versions....

I look forward to seeing this film though. 'Its all good'.  :wink:

Regards,
DeadFish

jermmd

Batman Begins
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 12:04 am »
I liked this movie a lot. It was sort of true to the comic book character. I, too, am not a Tim Burton fan.
As far as villains go, Ras al gul(sp?) was one of the best in the comics. And he was super. He comes back from the dead by putting his body into some magic water and for the brief periods when he arises from the dead, he is very stong (and psychotic). He's also got a hot daughter who has an affair with the Bat.

Joe

rosconey

Batman Begins
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:08 pm »
w hat a pain in the ass it is to post lately-

this was a very good dvd-i enjoyed it alot

DeanSheen

Batman Begins
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:41 pm »
That is one of the best super hero movies to date.  The story is rather plausible and the action appropriate.

As far as no super villians, the Scarecrow is in the comics.

scottielee

Batman Begins
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2005, 01:40 am »
another fan here. i liked the first 2/3 of the movie more than the rest. very thorough and humanistic. but i also thought Michael Cain had too much personal character to be Alfred. and perhaps Gary Oldman, one of my favorites, over acted a bit.

bubba966

Batman Begins
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2005, 03:12 am »
Quote from: Destroyer of Smiles.
The one thing it REALLY lacked was no super villan, honestly, what was with that?

The Scarecrow, Ra's Al Ghul, & Zsaz I'd say were all considered "super villan's". Sure, Zsaz only really got introduced in this film (I guess technically the Joker got introduced as well) and didn't have much to do yet. But I'm not going to be surprised if Zsaz makes a bigger appearance in the next film.

Anyway, I'd only seen it in theaters in IMAX, never in 35MM. So I has hoping that they didn't screw up the transfer & compression as the IMAX presentation was stunning. Luckily they did a pretty decent job of both and it's a DVD that doesn't suck. Sure, it could've been done nicer. But at least it's not bad enough to be annoying...

BobM

Batman Begins
« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2005, 12:52 pm »
I agree - the best one to date because it wasn't all that comic-booky. Almost plausible. No super villians because they were all in the loony-bin. But now that they've escaped ...

I especially like the scene where Batman gets hurt and you see bruises, exhaustion and such. Just like real people.

Enjoy,
Bob

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Batman Begins
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2005, 03:49 pm »
E-mail me if you want the DVD for $10 delivered to the 48 states.  

jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net

Ears

Batman Begins
« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2005, 04:35 am »
Very good movie overall....and my first dvd purchase in almost two months.
Liked it better than all the other over the top Batman movies.

Picture and sound are pretty good also which seems to be a trend now that hi res dvd is almost here.
I sure hope it doesn't take 8-9 years to get the new  upcoming formats right :mrgreen:

Ears

Batman Begins
« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2005, 04:41 am »
BTW...this movies still playing at I max theaters...at least my local one...and I highly reccomend seeing it at an Imax if you have one near you.