Acoustic foam (SR71 mod)

YoungDave

Acoustic foam (SR71 mod)
« on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:49 pm »
Heads up, all,

I have just completed my RM40 barriier foam mod.  It is not what I would call a "fun" job, although it is more tedious than technically difficult.  Watch out for the cardboard ring around the speaker cone - the mounting screws tend to grab that ring & delaminate it.  Per B, a little hot melt will put it right.  I had to do this & it worked out fine, but particular care might be worthwhile on speaker removal.

It seems I bought way to much material.  I bought roughly 90 square feet of Whipermat 2 from SilentSource.com (http://www.silentsource.com/barriers-whispermat1and2.html) for $3.40/square foot.  This is a 3-layer foam, 1/4" foam, then a "1 lb" barrier septum, and then 1" foam.

I like the sound.  Not much good at the descriptive part, but I like it.  Rapping on the cabinet also seems really dead now.

It seems that my 2 RM-40's and my single Large Sub took 60 square feet and I have 31 sq feet left over.  So, I recalculated the actual requirement as 2 pieces 10.5"x55", 1 piece 14.5"x55", and 1 piece 10.5"x14.5" per RM40.  That works out to 14.6 sq feet per speaker.  If you are buying foam, this amount ought to do it for you.

If you want to buy my leftover foam (it is in a big roll), check my ad in the trading post.  I'll sell it for $50 plus shipping - that's $1.59 per square foot.  I hope that will help some adventurous RM40 owner.

Cheers