Any opinions on the Etestian pre>

buckeyefanandy

« on: 24 Oct 2005, 12:49 am »
I know that one of the keys to the Odyssey sound is the systems symentry.  I have had a tough time finding reviews on the Etesian preamp.  I can't afford the Tempest any time soon and need a preamp soon.
Are there any upgrades for this pre to match my Hot Rod Khartago?

What do these things sell for used?

Can a used Etesian be traded in for a Tempest later?

Does it have the same warantee transfer program?

bunky

Re: Any opinions on the Etestian pre>
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2005, 03:53 pm »
Quote from: buckeyefanandy
I know that one of the keys to the Odyssey sound is the systems symentry.  I have had a tough time finding reviews on the Etesian preamp.  I can't afford the Tempest any time soon and need a preamp soon.

i think the Etesian passive pre is relatively inexpensive and if i were you i would buy it new because i dont think Klaus will let you trade a used one to upgrade to a better preamp later on. WCW III

bunky

Re: Any opinions on the Etestian pre>
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:01 pm »

i think the Etesian passive pre is relatively inexpensive and if i were you i would buy it new because i dont think Klaus will let you trade in a used one to upgrade to a better preamp later on. have you asked klaus about what marbles told you to ask about the $1500.00  system deal ? WCW III

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:02 pm »
Did you ask Klaus about his "Cyclops"?

It is his Khartago and Etesian in one case.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13044&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

buckeyefanandy

Etesian.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2005, 05:11 pm »
More than anything I would like to get feelings from owners of this unit.  I am not concerned about the trade in as much as the 20 year transfer.  

Or what preamps people have used with a 120,000 uf amp.

Just have not been able to find any reviews of customers who have had this amp.

Would love to hear from anyone that has the $1.5k system and thier feelings on this preamp.

bunky

Re: Etesian.
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2005, 05:47 pm »
More than anything I would like to get feelings from owners of this unit.  I am not concerned about the trade in as much as the 20 year transfer.  

Or what preamps people have used with a 120,000 uf amp.

Just have not been able to find any reviews of customers who have had this amp.

Would love to hear from anyone that has the $1.5k system and thier feelings on this preamp.
you could try the website for Odyssey HK and ask around on that site. they seem to sell alot of the Etesians in Hong Kong. as far as this website is concerned most people here either use the Tempest or its extreme variant or a variety of tube preamps. klaus had preamps for sale when he had a recent garage sale,  you may want to ask him if he has any of the used preamps for sale that  were leftover from the garage sale. i believe some of them were decent preamps but i dont think any of them were odysseys. it is a place to start none the less. used Tempests keep a pretty high resale value because they do not come up for sale very much. this is a direct indicator of how good they are,what preamp are you using a the present ?....WCW III

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2005, 05:55 pm »
I heard it at the last MWAF about 2 years ago and as near as I could tell the whole $1500 system sounded good, so the Etesian was not hurting the sound any.

buckeyefanandy

Thanks agian.
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2005, 06:02 pm »
Bunky and Marbles,

As always the info has been very helpfull.  I did not know there was a HK sitem will check that out.  I contacted Klaus about the Garage Sale gear thanks for that suggestion.  We will see what happens.

Marbles thats what I needed to help me out.  If the gear sounded good to you with the system you have, then I am sure it will more than fill the bill for me.  

Thanks so much,

Andy

pm314

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2005, 02:12 am »
I've been reading some of your posts and can say I was pretty much in the same place as you a little over a year ago. My first purchase (about 2 yrs back) into low-end, high-end gear  :?   was Vandersteen V1C's. About a year after that (after saving up) I bought the Etesian and Khartago.  Since I have nothing in the way of pre-amp ownership to compare it to, I can agree with the prior post that the Etesian doesnt seem to hurt the sound any....which from what Ive read is the goal of the passive pre-amp.  I am currently weighing another upgrade and am definately going for the upgraded mono Khartagos.  After that Klaus suggested looking at speakers......maybe another year......but he did say that I could wait on upgrading to a Tempest. Everything Ive read here says that I should trust his recommendations so in my opinion an Etesian is a great way to start out with a future eye towards upgrading. Hope that helps.

buckeyefanandy

That makes me feel good.
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2005, 05:27 pm »
Thanks for the review.  Glad to hear that if you were to upgrade at this point it would not be the preamp.
Thanks for your input, that helps me make my desision.

Andy