Klaus says to go with the amp....what do you guys think?

ajzepp

I had the pleasure of speaking with Klaus this week about the best way to go with my system. Right now I have Magnepan MMGs, Outlaw Audio monoblocks, an Outlaw 950 pre/pro, and a Denon 2900.

As of now, I'm planning on sticking with Magnepans, but not the MMGs. I'll be going to either the 1.6s or 3.6s. Though I spend most of my time with HT, I really want to improve my 2-channel listening. I was considering going with something like a Tempest first, but Klaus feels that the amp-speaker synergy is what really makes the system shine. His view is that I should go ahead and upgrade my amp before either the preamp or my source.

I'd like to hear from others who have added a Stratos to their system. Did you find that it was a significant improvement? What did you have before, and what speakers are you running? I'm planning on pulling the trigger around the first week of December, so any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2005, 06:59 am »
For Maggies?  Without question Klaus is right.

bunky

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2005, 09:40 am »
i was running a 200wpc Rotel RB1080 power amplifier with my Studio 100v3 Paradigms and it sounded hot on the top end and very compressed and conjested. i was going to buy a Stratos Extreme stereo amplifier and when Klaus asked me what loudspeakers i was using and i told him he recomended a pair of Khartago monos because of the doubled capacitance and over three times the current delivery. and it was $50,00 cheaper than the Stratos Extreme that i was going to buy originaly. they are very sweet little amplifiers. now i use the mono Extremes and i think that they are just wonderful. klaus will try to sell you what works best with your system and not necessarily what is his most expensive offering.get the amplifier first and you will be pleasantly suprised. thanks....WCW III

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Klaus says to go with the amp....what do you guys think?
« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2005, 11:37 am »
Quote from: ajzepp
I had the pleasure of speaking with Klaus this week about the best way to go with my system. Right now I have Magnepan MMGs, Outlaw Audio monoblocks, an Outlaw 950 pre/pro, and a Denon 2900.

As of now, I'm planning on sticking with Magnepans, but not the MMGs. I'll be going to either the 1.6s or 3.6s. Though I spend most of my time with HT, I really want to improve my 2-channel listening. I was considering going with something like a Tempest first, but Klaus feels that the amp-speaker synergy is what re ...

I am not an owner of Odyssey gear, but I have owned different pairs of Maggies in the past as well as the Outlaw 950.

Klaus is right in saying upgrade your amplification first.  The wrong amp on any speaker (but especially Maggies) will not let you hear what the speaker is capable of.  The weakest link in your system is the speakers and the amp.  Changing both will have a very positive impact on your system's capabilities and your listening enjoyment.

While not SOTA, the Outlaw 950 is a pretty good piece of gear and the same goes for the Denon 2900.

BTW, in general you can listen to Klaus and take his recommendations very seriously.  While he is in the business of selling audio gear to make a living, I have found him to be truthful and honest with his customer's or potential customer's best interest at the heart of his recommendations.  That is not something that can be said of every vendor out there.

Best of luck and enjoy the music and movies.

George

buckeyefanandy

Buy that amp, but be warned.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2005, 01:32 pm »
I would buy the amp, but this a very serious consideration.  If you buy something from Klaus you be will overwhelmed at the quality and service he delivers.  You will have very high expectations of future audio purchases.  

Warning this may be habit forming.  It seems that a very high percentage of his customers only develop a taste for a high price to performance value.  Not to mention they are built like tanks.

Andy

Chris_B

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2005, 03:06 pm »
Ditto all above.  The rest of your system will suffer if your speakers are not driven properly.  Klaus also gave me the same advice two years ago and recommended the Khartago monos for the reasons Bunky destribles above.  They continue to sound great with my Loreleis  :D

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2005, 03:43 pm »
The Maggie 3.6 is amazing with a very unique sonic signature that overwhelmed me the first time I heard a pair, and I was obsessed with getting my own, which I eventually did. Over time I found other speakers I liked better, but in retrospect I wonder if a more powerful amp would have changed things. Odyssey offers impressively powerful amps.

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2005, 04:55 pm »
Thanks, all.....I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help :)  I'm really thrilled that I stumbled across both this company and this forum before i went and dropped money elsewhere. I've been waiting for about a year (went through a divorce) to get myself to where I could make some upgrades to my system, and I'm just about there. I gave Klaus a time frame of December, so I'm really hoping by the end of the year I have a kick ass Odyssey amp in my system!  

PS. Andy, I totally know what you mean....what really excites me when it comes to audio is value. That's part of the reason why I love my Maggies. It sounds like Klaus takes value to an entirely new level, so that's pretty awesome  :mrgreen:

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2005, 04:56 pm »
Jerry: Just out of curiosity, what speaker did you end up with?

BikeWNC

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2005, 05:04 pm »

:nono:   Are you sure you want to go down that road?  :lol:

audiojerry

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2005, 06:06 pm »
Quote from: BikeWNC

:nono:   Are you sure you want to go down that road?  :lol:

very funny  :oops:
That would be a long story, Bike. When I'm up for it, I can give you my laundry list. For now, let's just say I've bought and sold more speakers than I'd ever admit to my wife, or I'd be talking about divorce too.  :wink:

bunky

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2005, 06:12 pm »
Quote from: Chris_B
Ditto all above.  The rest of your system will suffer if your speakers are not driven properly.  Klaus also gave me the same advice two years ago and recommended the Khartago monos for the reasons Bunky destribles above.  They continue to sound great with my Loreleis  :D
Hey Chris, i  truly loved my Khartago monos! they are best amps you can buy in the $1500 to $2000+ pricerange.  i  really love my mono extremes too. Great stuff! thanks....WCW III

Chris_B

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2005, 06:33 pm »
At some point, I would like to upgrade to mono extremes.  Did it make a big difference when you went from K monos?

bunky

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2005, 07:03 pm »
Quote from: Chris_B
At some point, I would like to upgrade to mono extremes.  Did it make a big difference when you went from K monos?
Hey Chris, the mono extremes are much more powerful, more open sounding ,more air around the musical notes. kind of like the Khartago monos on steroids. if you come to Woodsyi,s inaugural Mid Atlantic Audio Circle bash i would be glad to swap monos  with you for a few months if you would like. the only drawback i can think of with the mono extremes is the very long break in period which is maybe twice that of the little monos. thanks....WCW III

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2005, 07:10 pm »
The amp is the first step by all means...you should be OK with Maggie's. Once you hear a Stratos amp you will be hooked! You will be very happy with Odyssey gear and also in good hands! Welcome...

Alex

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2005, 07:48 pm »
Thanks, Alex....it's really cool to see so many people enthusiastic about their gear!  I think my Outlaw amps are very good for the money, but I'm ready to take some steps toward the higher end of things. Like Klaus told me, if I get a killer amp in here then it won't really matter whether I go to bigger Maggies or something like the Loreleis. The Stratos will bring the best out of both speakers. I know Klaus is very high on the Lors, but it's really REALLY hard for me to believe that I could go back to a box after having lived with Maggies (the small Maggies) for the past year. That's partly why I like the idea of going with the amp first.....Klaus' damn speaker is making my decision to go to bigger Maggies more difficult, lol. This way I can get this beastly amp good and broken in, and I'll be able to tell what the differences are with my MMGs. Even though these are the least expensive Maggie model, they still should very clearly show the difference between my OUtlaws and the Stratos. Most Maggie owners spend more on their gear than their speakers.

Damn, I can't WAIT for December :)

bunky

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:12 pm »
Thanks, Alex....it's really cool to see so many people enthusiastic about their gear!  I think my Outlaw amps are very good for the money, but I'm ready to take some steps toward the higher end of things. Like Klaus told me, if I get a killer amp in here then it won't really matter whether I go to bigger Maggies or something like the Loreleis. The Stratos will bring the best out of both speakers. I know Klaus is very high on the Lors, but it's really REALLY hard for me to believe that I could go back to a b ...
Hey AJ ,i just abandoned a pair of Studio 100v3s for my lovely Loreleis and the divorce is final with no chance for reconciliation. the Loreleis sing oh' so beautifuly in my Odyssey/Symphonic Line System. thanks....WCW III

Chris_B

« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:22 pm »
Bunky - I won't be able to make it to woodsyi's place but I will take you up on your offer sometime and drive up to your place to trade amps.  No real hurry but it would be fun to do.

ajzepp

« Reply #18 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:32 pm »
Bunky: I hear ya there....This may sound hard to believe, but I actually prefer my $500 Maggie MMGs to the Paradigm Studio/100s (v.2) I replaced. I've listened to some pretty well-regarded dynamic speakers over the past year, but for some reason they just haven't done it for me. Klaus is familiar with the Maggie line, though, and he's pretty confident that I"d like theLors better.....so who knows....maybe that'll be my second Odyssey order, lol.

bunky

« Reply #19 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:46 pm »
Bunky: I hear ya there....This may sound hard to believe, but I actually prefer my $500 Maggie MMGs to the Paradigm Studio/100s (v.2) I replaced. I've listened to some pretty well-regarded dynamic speakers over the past year, but for some reason they just haven't done it for me. Klaus is familiar with the Maggie line, though, and he's pretty confident that I"d like theLors better.....so who knows....maybe that'll be my second Odyssey order, lol.
if you dont think they are right for you Klaus will take them back. Odyssey has a trial period so that you dont paint yourself into a corner.