Does opening SlimServer for the Squeezebox2 slow down

LymphNode

your web browswer?  I installed a wireless SB2 and when I open SlimServer, web browsing slows way down.  Is there some sort of cache adjustment that needs to be made?  BTW, I have 512 mb of RAM and DSL.

TIA

jonwb

« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2005, 03:08 pm »
Next time, you might want to post this over on Square Circle (its for computer audio topics).  Anyway, to the issue at hand, I've not noticed any degredation in performance when surfing while slimsever is running.  I have DSL also, and it's pretty sluggish no matter what I do.  I would check over on the slimdevices.com website.  They have a pretty comprehensive FAQ.  Good luck!

LymphNode

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2005, 03:21 pm »
My DSL's always been sluggish, too; now, it's worse.  (I don't want to disparage any ISP, so I'll only mention mine's initials: "SBC.")

I went through the Slim Devices FAQ, but didn't notice anything regarding browswer speed.  I'll keep looking.  Thanks, J.

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2005, 03:27 pm »
It won't necessarily slow down your web browser.  The SlimServer software will take up a chunk of resources (memory, CPU) - and that may slow your machine down if you were running close to your memory limit.

I have seen SlimServer taking up close to 100mb of memory when running.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2005, 03:29 pm »
It's interesting you mentioned the affect Slim Server has on DSL speed.  With SS running, I run DSL Speed Test (http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/) and show 900 kbps.  Turn off SS, run the test again, and DSL speed reaches 1mbps.

LymphNode

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:26 am »
After reading some posts in the Slim Devices forum, I got a Linksys WRT54G router, and the web browser slowdown went away.  Also, the SB2 indicates that the signal is 98-100% from upstairs, maybe 25 feet in a line through the floor.

The other router was made by Netgear.  The Netgear did 87-90% with the SB2.  I tried the Netgear progressively lower levels of encryption, but that didn't change the slowdown.  Maybe it was just a bad router...

So, the Linksys works well with the SB2.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 10:11 am »
Quote from: LymphNode
After reading some posts in the Slim Devices forum, I got a Linksys WRT54G router, and the web browser slowdown went away.  Also, the SB2 indicates that the signal is 98-100% from upstairs, maybe 25 feet in a line through the floor.

The other router was made by Netgear.  The Netgear did 87-90% with the SB2.  I tried the Netgear progressively lower levels of encryption, but that didn't change the slowdown.  Maybe it was just a bad router...

So, the Linksys works well with the SB2.

Hi LymphNode,

Thanks for posting your findings.  I also use the Linksys WRT54G and it has been trouble-free.  I'll add it to my website as a recommended wireless router...