considering two sw-12a's

joegibs

considering two sw-12a's
« on: 21 Oct 2005, 03:21 am »
I'm looking to do a car audio setup using home theater drivers, mainly to use something the car audio world isnt familiar with.  someone on another forum directed me towards the sw-12a's.  While the sub/pr package sounds nice, and is rather cheap for what it seems like i'd be getting, i dont want to go that route for a couple different reasons.

I dont think that just one sub would be enough output for what i'm trying to acheive, and a single voice coil, 8 ohms, isnt the best for a car audio setup.  most car audio amplifiers arent optimal at 8 ohms.  So for those reasons, i'd want to run two subs, but without the PR's.  I'd like to get the PR's along with it, but its out of my budget.  

what do i stand to lose by not using the PR's

what box size sealed should i be expecting to use for two subs

and my last question, which i'm not sure if you'll be able to answer- would two of these have comparable output (in terms of loudness) to a 15" dayton titanic MKIII?

Danny Richie

considering two sw-12a's
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2005, 01:40 pm »
Car audio is an application typical more concerned with SPL than sound quality.

The SW-12A's aren't the driver of choice to win an SPL contest, but they will sound good.

Running a pair of them in a car will not require the use of the PR. Just use them in a sealed box. Each box can be 1.1 cubic feet (optimally).

Running them in parallel off of 1 amp will get you the 4 ohm load your looking for too.

They should be able to give you more output than the single Dayton 15 that you mentioned too.

joegibs

considering two sw-12a's
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2005, 05:36 pm »
i'm by no means trying to go for an spl setup, but i do need enough output to be able to keep up with my front stage.  

i recently upgraded my amplifier for the front stage, and the component set is taking it like a champ.  its quite loud in it self, which is why i need decent output from the subs to keep up.  I installed a 10" titanic on proper power and box size, and my front stage completely killed the sub.  i turned off the amp for the front stage to make sure the sub was there, and it sounded great, decently loud for what it is, nice and low and everything, turned the amp back on for the components, and i couldnt hear the sub at all.  i went to the back of the vehicle to make sure it was still going, and it was.  that should give you an idea of what kind of output i need for things to sound right.

before i upgraded my amplifier for the front stage, i was running two 15" titanics, and i loved it, loud, low, sounded perfect.  but i sold them and attempted to replace it with a single 10" titanic, just to have some bass.  didnt work since i upgraded the front stage amplifier.  i'm not attempting to go for the same output i had before with the two titanics, i cant afford it :(  

sorry for the long story, just wanted to make clear what i'm trying to achieve

Danny Richie

considering two sw-12a's
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2005, 06:06 pm »
Several things.

One, I think our 12's will work for you just fine.

Secondly, try to adjust the gain to each amp to balance out the system if possible.

Thirdly, try not to play it too loud. You'll regret it later. Ear damage does not repair itself very well you know.

joegibs

considering two sw-12a's
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2005, 05:27 am »
one last question, what is the RMS on the subs?  and whats the most you think i could safely feed each one musically with the proper sealed box size

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
considering two sw-12a's
« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2005, 07:59 am »
Danny's right, Joe- you're playing with fire.  There's no good reason I can think of to ever play music that loud.  I can see wanting max output on some level, but if you want this to be a hobby for the rest of your life, protect your investment:  safeguard your hearing.

Danny Richie

considering two sw-12a's
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2005, 01:50 pm »
Rated limit is 200 watts per driver.