Groneberg TS premium speaker cables

bunky

« on: 18 Oct 2005, 09:32 pm »
i just got off of the phone with Klaus. i asked him if he was building my 10' TS premium speaker cables for the Loreleis, he said a new spool of the good stuff just arrived today and he will make them up tonight. hopefully i might get them by friday and burn them in for a few days before i post about the difference between them and the Quattro reference cables. why am i so excited about a pair of speaker cables ? Synergy baby! when i installed the TS premium ic cables into my system there was an immediate and dramatic improvement in the sound quality of my system and as a rule speaker cables make more of a difference to the sound of a system than ic cables do, i am fairly certain that having matching TS premium cables in my system and the synergy that it will bring will make my wonderful sounding system sound even better!....thanks....WCW III

John151

Re: Groneberg TS premium speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2005, 09:54 pm »
Quote from: bunky
i just got off of the phone with Klaus. i asked him if he was building my 10' TS premium speaker cables for the Loreleis, he said a new spool of the good stuff just arrived today and he will make them up tonight. hopefully i might get them by friday and burn them in for a few days before i post about the difference between them and the Quattro reference cables. why am i so excited about a pair of speaker cables ? Synergy baby! when i installed the TS premium ic cables into my system there was an immediate a ...

I agree 100%.  In fact, I am slowly converting all of my 2 channel stuff to Klaustronics.

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2005, 10:15 pm »
I predict you will be correct.  Being a tweaker and liking to get new stuff once and a while I ran a ton of highly touted mid/low priced cable through my system for a couple years.  These taste tests were sometimes sucessful and sometimes not so much.  Then someone posted TS Premium IC's on a-gon.  I bought both pair and have not purchased another IC since (prior was Zu Warmouth and/or Zcable Live).  A month or two later, and while my Lor's were being built someone threw up 20' of speaker cable.  Had them sent to Klaus to get cut up to the proper length.  Have not considered another speaker cable since (prior cable was Zu Wax).

The pieces of my 2 channel that aren't Odyssey are Nixon Tubedac, EA Turbomodded 7700 transport, VH Audio digital cable and deHavilland Ultraverve.  Nothing there getting replaced unless I can find a killer deal on a deHaviland Mercury or Symphonic Line tube pre.

pugs

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2005, 10:51 pm »
What are the MSRPs of the TS cables?

bunky

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2005, 11:34 pm »
Quote from: pugs
What are the MSRPs of the TS cables?
i am not really sure but from following one of the threads in the past i think it may have been Eduardo the guy from Odyssey mexico said that Klaus was something like 40% cheaper than the MSRPs on the Groneberg website. i think the 1m ic cables retail for $350 a pair. i never had much luck trying to figure out the Groneberg website. Klaus is the exclusive distributor for Groneberg for north and south America. talk to Klaus and if you order more than one set of cables maybe he will work out a better price? what byteme says is true, when i posted in an earlier thread about how good the TS premium ic,s were, byteme said it reafirmed his own observations that there was an immediate and dramatic improvement in the sound quality. its a big time improvement folks! thanks....WCW III   EDIT: i just went on the Groneberg website and did the conversions from Euros to US dollars TS premium ic  1m $432.00 / TS premium loudspeaker cables $298.41 per meter. holy cow!

byteme

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2005, 02:03 pm »
Bunky, you're about right on, the exchange rate was a bit different when I did it I came up with $355/M IC's and $1555 for a 10' pair of speaker cable (edited)

jonwb

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2005, 03:22 pm »
Quote from: byteme
Bunky, you're about right on, the exchange rate was a bit different when I did it I came up with $355/M IC's and $1555 for 18ft of speaker cable (2 9' runs)

EEEK!!!  Wait a minute!!!  :o  I've been following this thread thinking, "man this must be some great sounding wire, these guys speak pretty highly of it.  And its from Klaus/Odyssey so it must be a square deal pricewise."  

Then I read your post byteme...  Did you just say $1555 for a set of speaker cables???  From Odyssey???  I thought Odyssey was all about great value.  How can $1555 for a set of speaker cables be a great value?

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but I was just VERY surprised that this wire cost so much.

byteme

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2005, 03:39 pm »
Quote from: jonwb
EEEK!!!  Wait a minute!!!  :o  I've been following this thread thinking, "man this must be some great sounding wire, these guys speak pretty highly of it.  And its from Klaus/Odyssey so it must be a square deal pricewise."  

Then I read your post byteme...  Did you just say $1555 for a set of speaker cables???  From Odyssey???  I thought Odyssey was all about great value.  How can $1555 for a set of speaker cables be a great value?

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but I was just VERY surprised that this wire cost so much.

No, NOT FROM ODYSSEY!!  From Groneberg directly in Euros!!

If you look at the European retail of the Groneberg cable from their site, it's very much like the cost in Euros of the Symphonic Line Legato, which is the same speaker as the Lorelei.  In Euros, the Legato is >$7,000, from Klaus it's $2700.  Same deal with the Groneberg cable, I got my 18 feet for $200 shipped on a-gon.  The 1M IC's were $50.  

Sorry to alarm you!  Put your jaw back in place!  Even though the prices I got aren't the same as what Klaus can give you for new TS Premium cable he certainly doesn't charge $1555 for an 18' pair of speaker cables!  You'd have to contact him directly but it's SUBSTANTIALLY less than that!!

byteme

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2005, 03:50 pm »
Here's a link to the Groneber price list.

http://www.groneberg.com/preislis/preislis.html

There are currently 1.2 Dollars per Euro.  So, the 3.5M TS premium speaker cable is 775 Euro or $930 plus more for upgraded termination.  A 1M pair of IC's is 362Euro or $435.

That jives with what I've got listed as "retail" for that purchase of cable.  The trouble is I really can't recall how long the speaker cable pair was.  I'm sure it was more than 10', I think it was about 4Meter pair or a bit longer.

jonwb

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2005, 06:23 pm »
Sorry to alarm you! Put your jaw back in place! Even though the prices I got aren't the same as what Klaus can give you for new TS Premium cable he certainly doesn't charge $1555 for an 18' pair of speaker cables! You'd have to contact him directly but it's SUBSTANTIALLY less than that!!

OK, I'm calm now... ;) Seems to me that the pricing on the Groneberg site is pretty much useless then.  I do have to say its unfortunate that Klaus doesn't have time to get pricing info (or up-to-date product info) on his website.  I'm surprised he doesn't hook-up w/ one of his web-head customers to take care of that for him.  Seems like it'd be money well spent.  Heck, IMHO, he could still have people call to place their orders (makes the web thing MUCH easier to not have to process orders online) so he can be sure people are getting what they want.  Whatever... this has been beaten to death here previously and he runs his biz the way he wants to run his biz.  Back to speaker cable talk...

byteme

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2005, 06:44 pm »
Agreed about his site.  I know he's "promised" to update it but I'd sure hate to be waiting for Lorelei's or a Stratos and have him say "sorry, had to take a week to update the site!"

I think the pressure has been taken off a bit by some of the overseas sites, like the Odyssey Mexico and Singapore sites.

bunky

« Reply #11 on: 19 Oct 2005, 10:05 pm »
Agreed about his site.  I know he's "promised" to update it but I'd sure hate to be waiting for Lorelei's or a Stratos and have him say "sorry, had to take a week to update the site!"

I think the pressure has been taken off a bit by some of the overseas sites, like the Odyssey Mexico and Singapore sites.
i just call Klaus for any imformation regarding Odyssey or Symphonic Line. it is always a pleasure to Talk to Klaus but when i do i feel this strange compulsion to upgrade. next on my list is the MK II 24 bit upgrade to my beloved Symphonic Line Vibrato cd player, it already sounds wonderful but i must improve it because the option is available. thanks....WCW III

Dave G

« Reply #12 on: 19 Oct 2005, 10:25 pm »
This is ever so slightly off-topic, but may I offer to you Bunky's Law:  
it already sounds wonderful but i must improve it because the option is available

Have you ever heard a better statement of the little problem we all have?  

Dave   :D

bunky

« Reply #13 on: 19 Oct 2005, 10:43 pm »
Quote from: Dave G
This is ever so slightly off-topic, but may I offer to you Bunky's Law:  
it already sounds wonderful but i must improve it because the option is available

Have you ever heard a better statement of the little problem we all have?  

Dave   :D
no problem, the upgrade is from Rolf Gemien and Symphonic Line, Klaus is the north American Dealer for this ultra high end brand and his most excellent Audio tech can do the install at Indy. i love factory hot rods dont you!

Dave G

« Reply #14 on: 19 Oct 2005, 11:11 pm »
I'm with you, Bunky.  I'm sitting here with some new equipment (Red Wine Clari T and Bob Brines FT-1600IIs) that is all I really need, and yet I'm always thinking about other stuff I might get.  

By the way, are you going to Woodsyi's on November 5 for the first MAAC get together?  I plan to go and hope to meet you there.

Dave

bunky

« Reply #15 on: 19 Oct 2005, 11:52 pm »
Quote from: Dave G
I'm with you, Bunky.  I'm sitting here with some new equipment (Red Wine Clari T and Bob Brines FT-1600IIs) that is all I really need, and yet I'm always thinking about other stuff I might get.  

By the way, are you going to Woodsyi's on November 5 for the first MAAC get together?  I plan to go and hope to meet you there.

Dave
yes sir,i want to hear Woodsyi's RM 40s. Chris B and i started the Mid Atlantic Audiocircle because someone pondered a Question to me .why hasnt anyone formed a regional audio circle in our area? so i figured ,why not? Chris B is another Odysseyphile and is the facilitator for the brand spanking new Mid Atlantic Audiocircle and if i may say so myself is doing a fantastic job. anyone is welcome to post at the Mid Atlantic Audiocircle regardless of where you hang your hat. i might bring a toy or two with me if the mood strikes me! thanks.... WCW III

jkm

« Reply #16 on: 23 Oct 2005, 07:47 pm »
So, Bunky, how are the Premiums sounding now, compared with the Quatros?

bunky

« Reply #17 on: 23 Oct 2005, 08:38 pm »
Quote from: James K-M
So, Bunky, how are the Premiums sounding now, compared with the Quatros?
Hey James, i know that the TS premium ic,s are a huge step over the Quatro ic,s.  i am hoping to get the TS premium speaker cables by tomorow when i come home from work. i will make a formal comparison a few days after i get the TS cables. as a rule of thumb speaker cables have more affect over the sound of a system than ic cables do , i imagine it will take my system to a higher level. i will let you know something in the middle of next week. thanks....WCW III

jkm

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2005, 12:13 am »
I await your response. I'm ordering a new pair when I talk to Klaus tonight. I wonder if spades on the ends would be better than banana plugs? I'm not sure if I trust these banana plugs that get wobbled around and can come loose from their solder. Any advantages either way?

bunky

« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:25 pm »
Quote from: James K-M
I await your response. I'm ordering a new pair when I talk to Klaus tonight. I wonder if spades on the ends would be better than banana plugs? I'm not sure if I trust these banana plugs that get wobbled around and can come loose from their solder. Any advantages either way?
the style of banana plug that Klaus uses is like a bayonet and is pretty stout. i ordered my new 10' pair with the bayonets on the amplifier end and spades on the Lorelei end. i like spades but the bayonets are easier to work with in the back of my audio rack. there was a debate on another forum that i belong to about which was better and i felt it was basicaly just a matter of preference.thanks....WCW III