Advice Needed: Lexicon DC-1/ Sony Digital Receiver or Panny?

Jayman

I will be listening primarily to Stereo music with CD and soundcard as sources.  I also need it to support basic 5.1 HT setup.

I am financially challenged at this point and am trying to decide between getting this item used for say 200-300 bucks or a cheap a/v receiver and use it for the DSP capabilities.  The real question is, is there anything critical that I would be missing by using the Lexicon?  I am only looking for basic 5.1 setup for watching DVD's (Dolby 5.1, DTS).  I play my music in straight on stereo.

Thanks for your input :-)

wshuff

« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2005, 01:50 pm »
You may want to post this question on the Lexicon forum:  http://forums.smr-forums.com:8080/

They will be able to give you all of the pros and cons of the DC-1.

I wonder if a DC-1 in the $200-300 price range would have the latest software (not sure of version number, but again, that is information that will be available on the Lex forum).  I know that the DC-1 initially came in a base model, then other versions of the DC-1 added DD and DTS.  If you buy a base model it is doubtful that you'll be able to update it to a later version and you'll be missing features found on any receiver in the same price range.

As for performance, while a Lexicon works quite well with only five channels, it is really designed for seven where it really shines with Logic 7.  If you are only going to be using a 5.1 setup then you won't be using the Lex to its fullest and will be spending money on features you don't need or don't want.  

When you say that you will be listening to mainly two-channel music, are you planning to listen in straight stereo or do you intend to use the Lex for surround processing so that your two-channel music becomes multichannel?  Because if you plan on listening in straight stereo, then I see very little reason to get the Lex.  It is a surround processor, that's what it does the best.  If you don't intend to use that capability then I'd think your money would go further with another processor or receiver.

That's especially true if you have any desire for multi-channel hi-res music like DVD-A or SACD.  The DC-1 pre-dates those formats.

Those are all things you might want to consider before buying the Lex.

Jayman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2005, 04:20 pm »
Wshuff, thanks a lot for your reply.  

The unit has the following processor effects:  Logic 7, THX Cinema, Pro Logic, Music Surround, 5.1 Logic 7, THX 5.1, Dolby Digital, 5.1 Music,5.1 Two Channel, Two Channel, Party, Music Logic, Cathedral, Church, Concert Hall, Night Club, Panorama,Mono Logic and TV Matrix.  

It also has the AC3 Version 1.0 upgrade installed.

As for DVD-A and SACD, I don't intend on using them--straight stereo for me.  I have a 5-channel amp that I am trying to match with a preamp/processor to achieve basic 5.1 sound and control my system.  I just figured that Lexicon is quality stuff and for the price it might be a good choice for me assuming the HT part is up to snuff.  A quality preamp alone would cost a few hundred dollars and this has the HT processing onboard.

Given this info what do you think now?

Thanks

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2005, 04:33 pm »
I have never heard this unit, but I think most would assume the two channel performance on the lex would be better than a $200-300 recevier.  If the rest of it fits your needs I'd say get it.  Having seperates makes future upgrades easier.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2005, 05:18 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
I have never heard this unit, but I think most would assume the two channel performance on the lex would be better than a $200-300 recevier.  If the rest of it fits your needs I'd say get it.  Having seperates makes future upgrades easier.

I have owned this unit, modified it and sold it.

The basic DC-1 has some rather old tech for the audio section. It is all 4558 op-amps with a switching power supply.

All analog coming into the DC-1 is converted to digital for processing and then back to analog for output. It was not designed for critical two channel listening to music. It did a good job for HT. The current crop of receivers offer greater processing power and far more features. They will have the latest Dolby Digital, THX, and DTS.

For me, I sold the Lexicon DC-1 v4 and replaced it with a modded Panasonic SA-XR70. I feel the sonics are quite a bit better. The DD and DTS IS far better. There are some features I miss from the DC-1 but the better sound and fewer cables more than make up for it.

Jayman

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2005, 05:58 pm »
Wayne,

From someone who actually opened it up and modded it yourself, I have to trust what you are saying.  2-channel performance is most important to me with HT functionality coming a distant second.  It sounds like no matter what the price, I would be better off with a cheap A/V receiver or other inexpensive processor.

Thanks for the info, very helpful indeed.

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2005, 06:12 pm »
If your preferences were reversed, with HT coming in first, the DC-1 wouldn't be too bad a deal. For 2 channel analog listening, a good, used, analog only, 2 channel preamp would be far better.

I changed out all the op-amps in mine, I replaced the stock coupling caps with Black Gate NX series. I did a fair amount of work on the power supplies.

I still like the sound of the Panny better.

Amazon has the SA-XR55 for $230.00 with free shiping. I just ordered one for a friend. I feel that is the best value and best souning unit for HT right now.

If you can run digital in, it also happens to sound really good for two channel.

Jayman

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2005, 09:26 pm »
Wayne,

You have given me a great alternative here.  I was doing some searching online. Actually I was looking into digital amps and was needing some direction (which you provided).  In my search I also came across the Sony ES STRDA3000ES for $449.  It has more power, functionality, and, because of that, possibly greater longevity.  I like the multizone function.  

I have read information in the forums here and online and it seems to get pretty good reiews (apart from the hiss / 4 ohm issue some people noted) which is apparently not an issue with more recently manufactured models.

Any experience with this or other similar sony products?  Any significant sonic differences between the Panny you are recommending?  I am referring specifically to 2 channel operation.  I am sure for HT they both are quite good.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2005, 04:19 pm »
Jayman,

I have never seen or heard any of the Sony digital receivers. I cannot offer any opinion on them.

I do own and mod the Panasonic receivers so I may be a bit biased towards them.

The Pioneer line of HT receivers is very highly spoken of. That may be another line for you to research.

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2005, 11:41 am »
If you forego the latest formats, at comparable age and price levels, I'd look for a Sherwood Newcastle 945/925, or even an old Nakamichi AV10.  The best cheap DD receivers I've heard for 2-channel.  Now it's been a while since I've heard either, and not head-to-head with newer digitals like the Panny, so Wayne's recommendation may still be the best.