Home theatre setup with Cain & Cain Abbys

OakIris

« on: 17 Oct 2005, 08:17 pm »
Forgive me if this is not the correct Circle for this post.

I am going to be buying the Cain & Cain Abby speakers from a local distributor.  I fell in love with them when I auditioned them on Saturday.  I have a very small house with no extra rooms for separate systems, so I have to try to make due with a combination HT and 2-channel system.  

Are there any speakers that you can think of that would have good synergy with the Abbys?  Here are the basic specifications:

Driver: Abby "Normal" -- Fostex FE 166e - this is the one I am getting
          Abby "Nearfield" -- Fostex FF 165k
Sensitivity: 95dB
Frequency Response: 40Hz to 20kHz (+/- 3dB)
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Minimum Impedance: 5 ohms

My current speaker set up for the fronts consists of B&W CM4 floorstanders with a B&W CMC center.  I may have to use the CM4s for the rears and still use the CMC for the center, but I can't imagine that B&Ws are an ideal match for the Abbys. :|  My receiver is a Rotel RSX1055, my power amp is a Rotel RMB-1075, and I have a Rocket UFW-10 subwoofer.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Holly

Bwanagreg

« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2005, 08:44 pm »
Take a look at the Omega speakers. Some of them use Fostex drivers, although Louis has phased out his use of the 6" and 8" models in favor of other drivers with similar efficiency (95-6 db). I use a combination of his (now discontinued) 8" Fostex TS-1 model for the front and 4.5" surrounds. The sounic signature of all of the Fostex drivers is fairly simliar so it works quite well, although ideally you would have the same drivers all the way around. They make a great HT system so enjoy!

By the way Louis does do custom work, so if you can't find something exactly to your specs give him a call.

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2005, 08:47 pm »
Great suggestion!

Here is the URL for Omega

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

OakIris

« Reply #3 on: 17 Oct 2005, 08:48 pm »
Thanks, Bwanagreg and Marbles.  I will see if the Omegas have any Fostex drivers with similar characterists as that used in the Cain & Cain Abbys.

Holly