Xtreme's in da house!!!

jcoat007

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« on: 21 Apr 2003, 08:59 pm »
Significant other just called and said,

"What the hell are these two really heavy boxes that just arrived from Odyssey?"

My response,

"I'm coming home early.  See you soon"  

My Xtreme's are here, my Xtreme's are here.  

WoooooooHooooooooo

:hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:  :dance:  :hyper:

rosconey

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2003, 10:18 pm »
http://www.ira.amigar.com/www.armonia-avm.com/odyssey-mexico/

i  found specs for the extreme,whoa nellie.
i dont think i ever asked klause what the "specs" were before i got mine.

shows what you can find on the net when your board and its raining :evil:

Sa-dono

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2003, 10:37 pm »
Thanks for the link rosconey! I was always interested in the stats to the Xtremes.

jackman

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2003, 12:40 am »
That site is muy bien!  

Juanman

bubba966

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2003, 03:11 am »
Quote from: rosconey
http://www.ira.amigar.com/www.armonia-avm.com/odyssey-mexico/

Nice to see the Xtreme Mono info.

Started looking through the rest of the site & couldn't figure much of it out (as I don't read or speak Spanish). So I ran it through an AltaVista translator.

:o

It translates Mono as Monkey!

It says Stratos Monkey Block/Dual Monkey & Stratos Monkey Xtreme. :rotflmao:

Eduardo AAVM

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2003, 03:15 am »
Hi guys, well it happens that it is the web site of my small business in Mexico, yes   you can link to it from my profile at audiocircle database.

SPECS ARE NOT OFICIALLY STATED BY ODYSSEY, I TOOK THE INFO FROM SOME KLAUS' POSTS IN THIS FORUM, BUT I COULD NOT SAY THEY ARE THE DEFINITIVE SPECS OR THE OFFICIAL ONES.

By the way the oficial link is

www.odysseyaudiomx.com

and for Groneberg is

www.odysseyaudiomx.com/groneberg-mx/

And as we are talking about this, let me tell you that in the "Evaluaciones" (Reviews) link there is a review of a pair of Stratos 120 with a SONY CD-777ES CD and Maggie speakers, it was done by a mexican magazine and I translated it to english for you if you wish to read it, it is the review under the HOME TECH label.

Eduardo AAVM

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2003, 03:41 am »
Yes Bubba that is funny here we have another word to say monkey, it is chango, so I usually refer to the amps as Odyssey Stratos "Chango"  :lol:

Also I hope Klaus will have some xTreme(ly) good news for me...

jcoat007

Fired Up and Playing
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2003, 04:39 am »
Here they are in their new home, happily singing as they are known to do from time to time.  

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=469">

rosconey

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2003, 11:58 am »
:o nice looking extreme monkey amps :mrgreen:
reminds me of a tv show were a guys book was translated in japaneese and every other word was monkey(or donkey), very funny.

i am also a proud extreme monkey owner-

hey hey were the monkeys, people say klaus monkeys around, but were to busy listening too turn our music down :drums:
                                                             :guitar:       :dance:

mgalusha

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2003, 12:37 pm »
Another stacked rack...  :lol:

MaxCast

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2003, 01:47 pm »
Nice set up jcoat.  Looks great.

What subs are you using?  And, how do you handle the crossovers?
Thanks,

jackman

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2003, 01:56 pm »
Very cool pix!  What kind of racks do you guys have?  I need to get a new rack (hopefully today) and like the looks of yours.  Very impressive systems!

J

jcoat007

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2003, 03:30 pm »
MaxCast - Vandersteen 2Wq subs.  They have a high pass crossover that is inserted at the inputs to the amps.  It basically filters out everything below 80hz.  Then your mains and the subs are connected to the amps with speaker cables and the subs have something called feed-forward correction.  This basically enables the subs to re-create what is below 80hz in real-time.  

That is all I remember from the literature.  You can go here to read more about it.  http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/2Wqlit.html

Jackman - I am using a Sanus Euro rack.  It is spiked into the subfloor under the carpet.  With the mono's in there, I think it is fairly inert.  You can check them out here:  http://www.sanus.com/cgi-bin/web_store.cgi

The top shelf is a just an extra shelf I bought from Sanus and set it on Herbie's Tenderfeet to help further isolate the TT.

Eduardo AAVM

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2003, 03:41 pm »
Hello, the 8th Nerve guys also have some racks take a look at them mybe you'll find 'em good for you.

mgalusha

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2003, 09:27 pm »
Jackman,

The current rack is by Furniture Works. I picked it up at a local A/V retailer. It's not too bad, spiked to the floor and has reversible shelves (top one is adjustable for leveling the 'table) and can be filled with sand. I did some searching on the web and it looks like it's out of production. They offer a similar one called the "Zeta-5T".

As with Steve's setup, with the mono's in the bottom it's not really going anywhere. :) I too am using Herbie's feet under all the components. I added the "Combat Boots" under the turntable last week and they really helped.

Mike

randog

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2003, 04:51 am »
jcoat, I've been really studying up on subs lately because... well, it's fun. I'm pretty wowed by that Vandersteen sub from a techy standpoint. Give us your complete impressions if you will about how well it synergizes with the Odyssey mono's (before and after X-treatment). It seems like it could be difficult to set up (?) -ie: placement and that 'q' variable. Also, did you try your system with just one or go straight for the stereo pair?

How does the special crossover gizmo filter out below 80hz *before* the amps and still get the low frequencies to the sub? (unless it has a bypass directly to the sub as well) Also, is it set to 80hz or is that a variable that can be changed?

These could possibly be a nice ticket to a 2-channel sub that could double at HT duties instead of the other way around, eh?

I would really like to see a review on this sub.

Randog

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2003, 08:05 pm »
Quote from: randog

How does the special crossover gizmo filter out below 80hz *before* the amps and still get the low frequencies to the sub? (unless it has a bypass directly to the sub as well) Also, is it set to 80hz or is that a variable that can be changed?

These could possibly be a nice ticket to a 2-channel sub that could double at HT duties instead of the other way around, eh?

Randog

as for how the vandersteens work check this post - I went  :idea:  when I read this, and it all made sense. I am seriously contemplating to get one or two of these, since they work really well with my type of speakers. The only thing I don't like is the fact I'll be inserting a capcaitor in the signal path. On the other hand, if compared to a fully loaded active crossover, that's nothing, and one can get a very high grade capacitor once the exact value is determined, and put that right into the IC cable from preamp to power amp. Read the followups on the post blow and you'll see what I mean.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=mug&n=34409

The crossover point isn't variable, but the slope is just 6db, so it gradually takes over starting at 80hz, and eventually is at 100% where most speakers aren't really in the bass business anymoe

here's the tech literature for the sub

http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Pdffiles/2wlit.pdf

Peter

mgalusha

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2003, 10:00 pm »
Randog,

I have a very similar setup to Steve (jcoat) with two xtremes, two Vandersteen 3A signatures and two 2WQ subs, so perhaps I can answer as well. :)

While these are very musical subs, they aren't really designed for HT use. They really don't move enough air for HT type explosions and such. Vandersteen does make a HT sub, the V2W but I havn't heard one and therefore can't comment on it.

Vandersteen's site has links to three of them. http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/prodrev.htm

As described in the link provided above by speedcenter, the high pass filter is just a single capacitor inserted between the preamp and the power amps. The capacitor value is calculated based on the amplifiers input impedance. In the case of the Stratos (xtreme's included) this is 18k ohms. I have measured it on three different amps and it's always been within a few hundred ohms of this value. For a 75hz filter you would need a .12uF cap. If you want to change the frequency, you can change the cap value. I am currently crossing mine over around 60hz (.15uF).

If the thought of putting a single, high quality cap in front of your amp offends you, consider that an active crossover is akin to adding another preamp (or two) into the signal path.  :|

As for how well the subs work with the xtreme's, they are very happy together. :)  They present a very benign load to the amp, so they are not affected much by things like the amp's damping factor. Because of the adjustable Q, it's (IMO) easy to blend them in with your main speakers. At least that is the case with a pair. I haven't ever tried it with just one.

One caveat, if you want major bass slam, these may not be the subs for you. The do produce a lot of clean, musical bass and are quite punchy but they won't move as much air as say a pair of VMPS subs will.

Mike

randog

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2003, 10:25 pm »
Nope nope nope nope nope, I'm not a bass-happy guy. In fact, I may not need subs at all. Just a few minutes ago I received my 1801's from Darren Thomas (yippee!) and I have a pair of Odyssey monoblocks for them. I'm also combining these into a 5 channel HT. My recent education on subs is based on a future decision as to get one that I use solely for HT duties or if I want to add a bit to the lower end of my 2-channel and get one or two to blend in with the 1801's and do double duty with HT when called upon. I'm not very concerned with getting an HT sub that booms... a little bottom end would go a long way for me. Again, this is all to educate myself for now until I see what I've really got.

Besides, those explosions you speak of would scare the sh*t out of my little girls.  :bawl:

I read those reviews and they are very technical. I sorta meant a review here by one of us average joe's  8)

BTW, all the lit I've read say these subs work best with fullrange speakers and are designed for such... yet they are designed to crossover at 80hz which seems sorta high and I'm curious why they would recommend using full range speakers if it isn't really necessary.

Thanks for the responses. Regardless of my situation, these subs are unique enough to peak my curiousity and it's interesting to learn about them.

Randog

rosconey

Xtreme's in da house!!!
« Reply #19 on: 24 Apr 2003, 11:17 pm »
i use a yamy rxv1 with my extremes and 3.5 way mains, its best sound is when mains(90 cutoff) are set to large and bass directed to bolth mains and sub (vmps large in stereo).every once in a while i find myself listening without turning on the sub amp,when i remember and turn it on it adds a lot of depth and movment.
stereo subs are under rated i think, theres a big quality improvement when i run my sub in stereo over mono.