Obscure music

Folsom

Obscure music
« on: 17 Oct 2005, 08:11 am »
Has any one here listened to U.N.K.L.E. - Psyence Fiction before? James Lavelle and DJ Shadow made the cd I think. I really enjoy the entire CD. I really like DJ Shadows drum usage, I find it very enjoyable. To much music has a lack of drums. It has a few interesting guests, like Mike D of The Beastie Boys, Jason Newstead, the leader singer of Radiohead and others I am not familiar with.

Dj Shadow - Endtroducing..... , this cd is very relaxed, yet is still obviously a DJ at work. (I am a fan of good turntabalist, and sampler mixer people, well good ones)

Now onto more Crazy, Skinny Puppy Remix Dys Temper. This album is just crazy colaberation of remixes. This album in no way reflects Skinny Puppy's normal albums.

I listen to those when I drive. The DJ Shadow one would be ok to sit down and listen, relax too some, however the other two are not going to be so great actaully sit down and listen to. Also, my friend in Canada is the one that gave me them, perhaps that explains some thing! Well maybe not, he loves audio (builds his own speakers with audiophile grade stuff), and has the second loudest in the world, in his class, vehical on the planet, cause he is crazy  :lol:

When I sit down to listen to some thing, my more favorite albums are usually acoustical stuff. I have a horrible problem with acoustical albums, I love them way to much. Eric Clapton Unplugged, Alice In Chains Unplugged, Sevendust Acoustic Live, Johnny Cash at  Folsom and San Quentin prison, hell I even like Sublime's cheap jammin with friends cd. Funny thing is that I rarely care for any of the same artists with their normal powered studio stuff. Favorite powered insterment albums are usually stuff with good instermentals. Call me lame for liking a lot of mainstream music, but it got there some how.

Hell I might as well through in an album I really like, it is different. Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine. The dummer is the singer, the bass guitar player does his own thing.... Oh yeah there is only them, they met in prison, in Canada, and now live in an old funeral home. This will probably be a love or hate it album for most people. There are times I simply get tired of the guitar, and this album has none in it, score! The bass player is, well I consider him to be, really good. I watched him perform on Conan, and no wonder he is not singing, he really gets into the playing of his instrument. While he does use a synth on some songs, the different sound, is no reason to count against his playing ability. I would also say the drummer is decent, he is fast, infact it is a wonder how he plays and sings (he does, seen concert footage). I think people should definatly check this album out. The lyrics are interesting, not really a reflection of any one not on the dating scene. The album cover and song names should explain a little.

DeanSheen

Obscure music
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2005, 12:45 am »
Nice post.  Keep digging.  Those titles are about level 1 of obscure music.  I used to have the DJ Shadows and sold them.  Entroducing was good when it came out but i dont think it has held up over the years.  Plus, it was recently reissued so thats probably why it's getting attention again.

I used to listen to Skinny Puppy.

Yeah, 1979 is ok.  I just downloaded that but really couldnt get through it. Try to listen to some setlists on WFMU in Brooklyn.  Several of the DJ's have their playlists broken down into small song sized segments.

Try out Lightningbolt.  They have a new one out & ride the skies is a classic.  It's just two guys jamming hard on drums and guitar but sounds like more.  

http://wfmu.org/

Folsom

Obscure music
« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2005, 02:02 am »
Skinny Puppy is NOT Remix Dys Temper, you can not even compare them. They just used the Skinny Puppy songs as a start. Just saying, if you have not heard Remix Dys Temper, you can not even image what it would be like from listening to Skinny Puppy.

What songs did you download from DFA1979? I really like the lyrics, well I like all of it. I think it is interesting how the bass will seem repititve, however it is more providing the "beat" and the drum will varry what it is playing, instead of the drum being the constant. Also I wonder how much justice MP3's would do for the drumming, it is pretty fast and interesting, while the bass is easy to hear.

I live in Montana so I do not pick up on to much of what is out there. Unfortunate, but the good thing is I do not care enough that I need to spend the time searching though. Even if I wanted to, I lack the time :lol:

I bought a cd called Bensen Burner, by Ten Bensen, for ninty nine cents! Ha, there is a really sweet sweet sweet record store near here. They have a bunch of Marantz cd players with Senn headphones, and you can listen to their entire library of cds to check out. They have almost a copy of every thing they sell in the collection. Aparantly they have a vinyl store, when I get my turntable, anticipation is already building. The album, is weird, reminds me of Beck, but the album art shows they are crazy hicks....

mjosef

Obscure music
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2005, 03:54 am »
I recently picked up the UNKLE psyence fiction, thinking it was some kind of spaced out electronica vibes...I think on my first listen the first couple of tunes threw me off and I sort of drifted away into some chores around the flat, but there was one tune with some spaced out drumming that caught my attention...but I yanked the cd and checked into a 'new' Steve Roach (Mystic Chords & Sacred Places) double cd I had gotten the same day.
I haven't revisited the UNKLE cd since...I remember it being loud and metalic, or perhaps it was my mood...I tend to buy music in a bunch, and sometimes the 'unknown' gets the backshelf. I should drop it in and hear if it was worth the price.

Folsom

Obscure music
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2005, 05:16 am »
I can aggree to the loud and metalic sound, it does have that attribute. I however still really enjoy it. I pretty much only listen to it while I drive though.

DeanSheen

Obscure music
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2005, 07:40 pm »
Have you seen the UNKLE action figures?

I have always had excellent college radio here in cleveland, so I dont mean to offend.  Also, living out in Montana is fine as long as you have web access.  Get on a couple of mailing lists and check out the new releases.  

For european electronica & club/house music Boomkat.com is the trick.  They have samples of nearly every release.

For a bit of everything 'mostly' off the map with tons of samples and updates every other week try www.aquariusrecords.org.  

Some nice online review sites try out www.foxydigitalis.com, www.fakejazz.com and www.dustedmagazine.com.  Also www.brainwashed.com is ok too.

& dont forget soulseek.  Try it before you buy it.   Have fun & keep us apprised of your new discoveries.