A/V-3 completed (pics) - New Pics - Red Oak Veneer

MikeSRC

• http://www.surfremotecontrol.com
« Reply #20 on: 29 Oct 2005, 03:44 pm »
Thanks for the address.  I like to pick out the veneer myself, so I'll keep that in mind for the next project.

I used regular Titebond, but Titebond II should be fine.  I don't know if you read this elsewhere, but use a foam roller (available at Home Depot etc.) to spread the glue evenly on the veneer and substrate.  That will give you the best coverage.

wackii

« Reply #21 on: 7 Nov 2005, 07:18 am »
I've veneered and applied the dark cardinal red (4 coats) for the A/V-3.  I did sanded between coats.  I came out very nice (can't wait to apply the urethane wipe-on).  Question:  Should I sand before I apply the urethane?  Thanks.

Al,

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #22 on: 7 Nov 2005, 06:22 pm »
I would do a light sanding.  Also, see how you like just one coat of the wipe-on poly.  If you do a second coat, let the first dry well and give it a light sanding so the second coat has some "teeth" to attach to.

wackii

« Reply #23 on: 8 Nov 2005, 08:02 am »
Cool.  Thanks for the tip Hank.  I've just applied the first coat.  It's looking pretty good so far. 2 or 3 more coats should be it.  Thanks again.

Al,

wackii

New Pics - A/V-3 Red-Oak (Cardinal Red)
« Reply #24 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:19 pm »
Here are my new born A/V-3 with cardinal red dye (4 coats) and urethane finish (3 coats).  It takes me close to 2 weeks to apply veneer and finish.  Well worth it.  For a first time veneer, I think I did a good job :)

Thank you all for the help.  Time to catch up all my new movies that I have them on hold :P

Al,

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2005, 04:39 am »
Wow! Really nice work! Thanks for posting the pics.

Watson

« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2005, 08:01 am »
Great looking work!  What brand of dye did you use?

wackii

« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2005, 04:49 am »
Watson, the dye is from Transfast (alcohol base).  They do have water base but they ran out of the cardinal red that I want.  So I took the alcohol base instead (faster drying time, just that you have to work faster and not letting dry unevenly).

Thanks all for the kind words.  

Al,

RAW

« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2005, 08:29 pm »
Very nice.
 8)

MikeSRC

• http://www.surfremotecontrol.com
« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2005, 09:44 pm »
Great job!  I'm sure you'll really enjoy breaking them in.   :D

wackii

Re: A/V-3 completed (pics) - New Pics - Red Oak Veneer
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2009, 01:26 am »
Hi Danny and everyone,

It has been a long time since I built these two speakers.  I'm still using them :)  Now that I've learned quite a bit about measuring and eqing the system.  I want to ask if it is possible to modify the network and boost up the high end of freqs range 10khz -20khz a bit.  My measurements show the speakers took a dive from that range.  It's most likely caused by my room.  The closed mic measurements look better.  Anyway, is it wise to modify the network?  I'm really appreciated if you can give me a pointer or two on this.  Thank you.

Sub + A/V-3 mains from sweet spot (listening position). 

Al,

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2009, 04:15 am »
That is very typical of just about any in room response. I wouldn't let that discourage you at all.

However, if you wanted to make an adjustment to add a little more to the top end then there are several ways to go about it that are all pretty easy.

wackii

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:15 am »
That is very typical of just about any in room response. I wouldn't let that discourage you at all.

However, if you wanted to make an adjustment to add a little more to the top end then there are several ways to go about it that are all pretty easy.

Please hook me up :)  I want to apply that change and compare...  Will boosting the high end damage the tweeter in any way?  Do you recommend it?

Thanks.

Al,

cujobob

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jun 2009, 06:05 am »
Usually 15Khz+ is absorbed a ton...didn't realize it went down to 10Khz so drastically.  Wouldn't the dip at 200 hz be a greater issue, or is that just a matter of being difficult to accurately measure?

wackii

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jun 2009, 06:18 am »
Usually 15Khz+ is absorbed a ton...didn't realize it went down to 10Khz so drastically.  Wouldn't the dip at 200 hz be a greater issue, or is that just a matter of being difficult to accurately measure?

I use the ECM8000 mic and I think it's pretty accurate for full range measurements.  I do agree that 200hz area is an issue but I think I can play around with speaker placements on that region.  I'm currently live in an apartment and the room is not so great and really not ideal for bass trap at the moment.  Also on the closed-mic measurements, it looks pretty flat around 200hz area.  So I think that 200hz region is caused by cancellation that can be deal with speaker placements. 

Thanks.

Al,

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:13 pm »
Another important thing to remember is that you can't measure both speakers at the same time with the same mono signal or one will simply cancel out the other at various frequency ranges depending on placement and arrival times.

You have to measure them one at a time.

Shoot me an e-mail on this and I'll run through the various ways that you can lift the top end.

wackii

« Reply #36 on: 21 Jun 2009, 05:06 pm »
Another important thing to remember is that you can't measure both speakers at the same time with the same mono signal or one will simply cancel out the other at various frequency ranges depending on placement and arrival times.

You have to measure them one at a time.

Shoot me an e-mail on this and I'll run through the various ways that you can lift the top end.

The graph above is measured with both speakers together plus Sub.  I did measured each speaker individually as well.  I didn't have them in the middle of the room or outdoor so it's still showing few deep here and there due to side wall reflection, etc...  Anyway, I will shoot you an email shortly.

Thanks.

Al,