Cornet2 Tubes- Importance

analog97

« on: 12 Oct 2005, 12:04 pm »
Could anyone rank the Cornet2 tubes in order of sonic importance?  Also, is it necessary to match the 2 12AX7's.  Thanks. :D

GRD

My experience
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2005, 04:22 pm »
I found each tube makes some difference.  If I list in order of priority:

1. 12au7.  Sets the overall character.  I have several (RCA, Mullard, Tung-sol, CBS, 5814's, etc).  My preference is CBS (either 12au7 or 5814) in my system and for my ears.  Some have a little more low end and some a little more sparkle (high end).

2. 12ax7 initial position (first stage of amplification).  

3. Rectifier

4. Second 12ax7.

I prefer the LPS over the JJ ax7, but both are fine.  My preference is RCA
or Amperex, which I picked up used.  Tried a Telefunken, but didn't like it as much.  

With 4 tubes, there are dozens of mix and match options.

Recommended accessory - tube dampers.  They change the sound.  Tighten everything up, remove glare or distortion, and enhance the feeling of a deeper low end.  You lose some "air", but you also can just use a damper on 1 or 2 tubes.  First 12ax7 is most sensitive to dampers.  

Rather than spend a ton of money on NOS, see if you have a ham fest swap meet in your area and see if you can scrounge some used tubes there.  That's where I picked up most of my tubes.

analog97

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2005, 06:02 pm »
Thanks so very much.  I am assuming the 12 ax7 closest to the front of the Cornet2 corresponds to the first stage of amplification?  Correct?

GRD

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2005, 10:20 pm »
The tube closest to the end (nearest the RCA inputs) is the first stage of amplification.  Any signal going into that tube gets amplified there and then again in the next AX7.

analog97

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2005, 10:34 pm »
Thanks again.    :D  :D

GRD

Tube matching
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2005, 10:37 pm »
Forgot to answer your second question.  I don't think you need to worry about tube matching.  In fact, I often use different brands in each position.  As far as triode matching in the same tube (for equal gain), I never really noticed any left/right channel imbalance with any of my tubes.