Dampening of GK-1 tubes

Jens

Dampening of GK-1 tubes
« on: 20 Apr 2003, 05:45 pm »
Hi Hugh (and anyone else who may want a go at this subject),

A number of high-end manufacturers of tubed amps claim beneficial effects from various types of mechanical dampening contraptions on the tubes to prevent microphony. Obviously, tubes are quite prone to mechanical vibration, so it stands to reason that there may be something to gain here.

Has something along these lines been considered for the GK-1? Or is the effect too small?

Just wondering  :?:

Cheers,

Jens

bluesky

Dampening of GK-1 tubes
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2003, 10:34 pm »
Hi Jens,

Here I was thinking Brisbane was a long way from Hugh in Melbourne.  A mere couple of thousand kilometres compared to Denmark and North America:lol:

It would be interesting to have an online map of the world showing where all the Aksa's are, and no, I wouldn't even think of asking Hugh to do it.  However, it might be a good marketing tool or a way of forming some sort of Aksa club.  

Trouble is, I hate clubs.  As Groucho Marx said "I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member."  But I may just make an exception for Aksa people.  :)

Bluesky
PS I am aware that I have provided absolutely nothing useful in reply to Jen's question.

AKSA

Dampening of GK-1 tubes
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2003, 11:42 pm »
Hi Jens, Ian,

Benny (Lost81) graciously sent me some tube dampers a few months back.  I will revisit them, give you my impressions later on after a few ears have traversed through my listening room........   :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Hugh

Jens

Dampening of GK-1 tubes
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2003, 07:38 am »
Hi Hugh,

Looking forward to hearing the results.

My thoughts were that with a class product such as the GK-1 why not go all the way and implement such a simple tweak - provided that it works, that is  :lol:

Cheers,

Jens