Bella SP/AV-1 Speakers with 300B amplifiers

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 4 Oct 2005, 11:35 pm »
This is a new thread to take over from the "Chassis Idea" thread.

I have been receiving alot of inquiries on how the Bella SP speakers would mate with low power and SET tube amplifiers. Today I finally had a chance to hook up our Musica Bella 8 watt 300B mono blocs! (Similarto my Avatar picture at left) I can honestly say I was quite surprised with what I heard.  This combination provided plenty of output with very good dynamics.

I would not recommend this combination if musical and listening habits lean towards extreme high volume levels. Afterall, we are talking about 8 watts with 90'ish dB speakers. Head bangers will need to look elsewhere for power. These speakers are also at home with 100+ watts so with a good, higher power amplifier, most applications can be met.

A few people stopped by today and sat down for a listen. They all found the presentation to be very enjoyable and stated it sounded very "real". We were listening to Loui Armstrong, Jewel, Ray Charles and a few modern Jazz bands.

The next arrangement will be with the 25 watt Musica Bella 300B mono blocs.

For the record, here is a list of the associated gear in today's session:

Musica Bella 8 watt 300B mono blocs (EH 300B / NOS 6SN7's)
 Bella SP/AV-1 speakers
 ModWright SWL 9.0 preamp (Cryo'ed Tung-Sol 5687 tubes)
 Jolida Stage II Custom JD100 CD player (Svetlana 12AX7 tubes)
 Empirical Design interconnect cables
 Empirical Design 6 ft. speakercable
 Heavy Mass metal speaker stands / 60% sand filled
 Listening room 18' x 40' into an "L" shape for an additional 30' (about 1000 sq. ft.)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2005, 01:41 am »
Okay, I have been receiving a lot of inquiries on these speakers with SET amp use. For this reason, I am working with SP Tech and have decided to start working on a Bella SP/AV-2!! Now housed in a cabinet similar to that used for the SP Continuum speakers (in regard to size anyway), the SP/AV-2 will utilize 2 of the 8" drivers and now rated at 96 dB!!!

Further details can be found at the link below. I will post further information as this speaker develops.

Thoughts??

http://www.responseaudio.com/spav-2.htm

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2005, 01:31 pm »
sp/av2 sounds like what I want for my bedroom except they are too big for my room.  I will just have to settle for your sp/av1.  How are they coming?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2005, 02:36 pm »
sp/av2 sounds like what I want for my bedroom except they are too big for my room. I will just have to settle for your sp/av1. How are they coming?

Yes, the SP/AV-2 is a rather large speaker for a bedroom setup. I think these will be best suited sitting atop 18" - 20" stands. Same for the SP/AV-1 for most applications.

They are coming along nicely. Crossovers are assembled and wiring in the Autoformers but still waiting on the cabinets which will be here shortly.

Hurricane Wilma has effected us in a way that the manufacturer of the front baffle finish is located in Forte Lauderdale :cry:  To get through this initail run, it will cost us a bit more buying a finish suitable for the baffle but hey, I only hope everyone down there is safe.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2005, 06:46 pm »
Bill,

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I have to say, I think SET folks will love the new Bella SP/AV-2's.  Actually, I'm pretty certain that at this point in time most folks have little idea just what these speakers are capable of.

In all actuality, they are based on the technology of the Millennial Reference Series of products.  Other than changing to a more efficient woofer, the designs of the Concert Series/ Bella SP product are almost the same.  The other major difference is that they do not incorporate constrained-layer damping of the enclosure walls.  

Nevertheless, we have gone a long way in minimizing the effects of this by adding increased enclosure bracing to reduce enclosure born vibrations.  Although in absolute terms this technique is not as effective as the constrained-layer approach, it is still very effective.  Because the front panel is already 1.5 inches thick, most of the potential for enclosure wall vibration has already been dealt with.

Add to this that the designs of the Concert/Bella product line all use the same tweeter that we started with in the MRS product line, this should give folks somewhat of an idea of their capabilities.  The original two reviews of the Timepiece 2.0, owners of the original MRS product and those that heard our MRS product at RMAF in 2004 have all given testamony to that original tweeter.  

In the Concert/Bella product we have raised the crossover frequency ever so slightly (about 1.1kHz) and that has had a tremendous effect on reducing the "edginess" and "shouty" quality that was previously a concern of some in the past.  Unfortunately, we could not get away with this in the MRS designs as the aluminum cone woofers did not have extended bandwidth sufficient to crossover above 950Hz.  The new SS tweeter/waveguide of the present MRS line has plenty of low-end extension though, so now we are crossing-over at 600Hz - no problem...and no "shouting" either.

Once folks finally get to hear just how sweet that original tweeter is now with the 1.1kHz crossover, I think we're going to have a tough time keeping up with the orders - even considering the new CNC.  In fact, I believe this new product line will take SP Tech to levels of business and visibility that would have taken potentially years for the MRS line to achieve - if ever.  It just simply appeals to a much wider base of enthusiasts.  I also think the Bella/SP product will have Bill Baker pulling his hair out trying to keep up! :D

-Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2005, 07:31 pm »
The only thing I would like to add to Bob's post in regard to the differences between the Concert and Bella series is the additional networks added to the Bella Series for a flat response. Other differences include extensive listening to find just the right internal cabinet make-up including damping, wall lining, stuffing and wiring.

The crossovers are comprised of what I feel to be the absolute best components to offerthe signature I was looking for from the Bella speakers. Some of this line-up includes Theta Audio Caps, VH-Audio OIMP and Teflon capacitors as well as Mills resistors. The inductors are high grade audio air core pieces. All crossovers are match during and after assembly as well as after installed into each pair of cabinets.

Over the past few weeks, I have brought in several people to audition and give me some feedback on the Bella SP/AV-1. So far, the feedback is proving to be even better than I had expected and could have hoped for with a few putting them as the best they have heard under $5k.

Obviously, once you get into this $5k price point, you are in the league of the Millennial Reference products such as the Timepiece. My goal with the Bella series was to produce a high calliber speaker that is more suited to those desiring higher effeciency, NOT to compete with the MR series.

For anybody in the area, you are more than welcome to stop in anytime to sit back and take a listen. I now have close to 200 hours on my original pair (still in RAW MDF) so I think they are reaching their fullest potential.

I also think the Bella/SP product will have Bill Baker pulling his hair out trying to keep up!

They already do. I am now getting regular, almost daily, inquiries on these speakers both here in the US as well as abroad and making arrangements for a formal review.

Speaker building for me is going back to my roots. Response Audio started out custom designing and building loudspeakers. Now with the help of Bob at SP Tech and the Waveguide cabinets, I would have no problem going back to my roots once again. He has opened new doors. However, Response Audio's integrity over the years has been established on the modifications we have offered. These WILL NOT be comprimised in any way and in fact just this morning ordered another 10 base units for our 3205 amplifiers and took orders for 4 more modifications on customer supplied Jolida amplifiers.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2005, 08:32 pm »
Folks,

I better clarify something here.  Bill's version (the Bella SP's) is a definite refinement of their counterpart from us.  Let me state clearly that we have chosen not to use expensive or exotic crossover components in our versions.  Yes, the caps are good film types and the coils are now all air-core, but they are not the premium types that Bill is using.  He also voices the crossover a bit differently to get the presentation he feels optimizes their presentation.  On top of all that, he also goes to great lengths in treating the internal cabinet with damping materials that either we do not use at all or are of a higher quality.

The reason we do not go to such lengths is that the anticipated market for our version is more along the lines of home theater apps.  Although they sound fantastic in two-channel audio applications just as we build them, they have the potential of even greater performance through the refinement and tweaking process that Bill is well known for.  Many will find our version more than satisfactory, even as a high-end product.  But if you want the most performance possible, Bill's Bella SP versions will be the route you want to go.  I have yet to hear the results of his refinements, but from what he's been telling me I suspect I'm going to be just a bit jealous.  That’s fine though, in order to get the throughput we need, we just can’t spend the time on them like he does.

So who's going to be the first on AC to give them a try?  If you like the speed and clarity of a ribbon with the warmth, wide dynamics and power handling of a conventional dynamic driver based system - here's your ticket!  Oh yeah, there's a lot of talk about constant directivity and all it's glorious benefits around these parts lately.  Find out from the folks that have been beating that drum for some time now...what all the hoopla is about! :D

-Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2005, 08:38 pm »
Hi Bob, Thanks for clearing that up. As far as how they sound, there is no reason you should "take my word for it". Once I am caught up on the orders, Jam'n Audio will probably be receiving an audition pair and you will be able to make your assesments first hand. Like anything audio, th eproof is in the listening.

In fact, I would prefer other's opions over my own. I am obviously bias :wink:

There is also a Circle member that has ordered a pair of these speakers. (external ZERO-Former crossover version). I am sure post will be made once he has spent some time with them. The nice thing about the way this crossover is constructed is that you can bypass the Zeroformer in hooking the crossover up to the amp so comparisons will be simple and quick.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2005, 06:53 pm »
Well, I finally got off my but and fired up the 25 watt push-pull 300B mono blocs (bone stock Ming-Da units). I have only about 30 minutes on them now and everything is brand new including the EH 300B tubes.

First speakers to get the honor is a pair of the Bella SP/AV-1. WOW! Power wise, 25 watts is plenty. Sonically...... gotta love that 300B tube. I have them running now and will pile some hours on them before commenting on the sound of the amps. Should they break in nicely, I think they will be a good candidate for some extreme upgrading. Load them up with some V-Cap Teflon pieces and some Rikens, Mills, etc. (critical signal path resistors) and I think we are on our way to sonic Nirvana.

I want to get the amps broken in ASAP as the Usher D2 speakers will be here next week. 98 dB, 1200 lb. big-ass horn system with 25 watts of 300B!!! Should be interesting.