Hagclock installation--Data sheet locator? -

Yoda

« on: 4 Oct 2005, 09:48 pm »
I can't seem to locate a datasheet for the sony audio IC in my cd/sacd player.  A picture of board can be found at:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=19276&start=10

The unit I'm looking for (correct me if I'm wrong)  is the CXD9703R.  There is also a SACD chip-- the CXD2753N.  

But the end result is that I'm trying to identify CIN and COUT....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

hagtech

« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2005, 05:04 am »
This would be my guess.  You can confirm this once xtal is removed (use two irons) by looking at traces.  Cp1 and Cp2 are the loading caps on xtal.  Rs looks to be a power limiter on output side of inverter, probably 100 ohms or so.

If you have a scope, measure while operating.  Input side should be a sinewave, output side a square.

jh :)

Yoda

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2005, 06:05 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a scope, perhaps things will become more evident upon lifting the clock chip this weekend or looking up the inverter.  All of those surface mount caps and resistors look alike!

Matt

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2005, 08:02 am »
That's no regular inverter.  It's a PLL clock chip that synthesizes a number of different output  frequencies.  DVD, CD, etc.  Tried to look up that number you gave on the Sony website.  Nothing there.  

jh :)

Yoda

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2006, 06:50 am »
Its been a while since I looked at this, but got under the cover tonight.  Those are tiny, tiny parts.  On screen, that image is about 4x larger than life size.  Guess I could just use an xacto to remove C1, C2 and Xtal.  Not even sure is the end of a Cat5 will fit in the larger holes for GND at near the 'X102' text.  Any tricks for tacking the 100 ohm resistor at the C1 location?

Matt

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2006, 06:39 pm »
Not sure I would razor the parts out.  I always use two soldering irons, heat both pads same time.  But that won't work for everyone.

Easies place to tie resistor or leads will be on xtal pads.  NOT easy with such small surface mount parts.  Don't attempt the surgery unless you are confident you can do it and undo it.

jh

Yoda

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2006, 01:09 am »
Didn't even think about the Xtal pad which is larger.   Good idea.  I have two soldering irons, but will do some meditational Yoga before going in.
Thanks,
M

Yoda

« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2006, 06:19 am »
Jim,

Good call on the re-clocker.  I found this in a last minute search just to double check:

http://www.npcamerica.com/Datasheets/SM8707.pdf

There was one point I had the orig x-tal out and tried to power up to double check voltages, and it seems as if everything, including the power up routine is tied into that damn x-tal, because not one thing lit up on the unit.  I held my breath, soldered in the hagclock and got the 'w e l c o m e' screen...And....SUCCESS!

I am Hagclock-ed and functioning in redbook, SACD and DVD, better than ever.  There is definitely more clarity in voices and instruments on some recordings that previously sounded muddled in certain places.   And focus like the Chime has!  (crisp but not as sweet as that tube output...).

Cool project.   Two thumbs up! :D

Matt

Yoda

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2006, 02:06 pm »
The voltages available in my CDP were +11v and -15v.  The unit seems to have regulators, powered up and appears to run fine, but wanted to know if I should attenuate the -15v. Matt

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2006, 06:44 pm »
It'll be fine.  The supply inputs are very flexible.

jh

Yoda

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2006, 08:15 pm »
Hagclock Installed!